Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Should I go to the hospital?  (Read 3537 times)

Offline nhalliday

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Should I go to the hospital?
« on: January 15, 2013, 12:21:21 AM »
Hey everyone,

I had a pretty bad fall while I was snowboarding yesterday, and hit my knee really hard on a rock. I can't tell whether there is something seriously wrong with my knee and I should go to the hospital, or if that would be a total waste of time and I can just ice it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Some more details about me and my knee below...

I am 21, very active and have never had a knee injury before. When I fell I couldn't move for a couple minutes, then I felt really hot and my entire body (but especially my knees) killed. After around 8 minutes I got up and slowly made my way down the hill. The pain yesterday was sharp and intense - I could barely walk. Today the pain is more of an ache, unless I try to straighten my leg or bend it less than 90 degrees - then it starts to feel really tight before I hit the intense pain. My whole kneecap is swollen, but particularly on the bottom part. There is minimal bruising.

Does this sound serious? Should I go get an x-ray? I am kinda freaked out because I have a two week snowboarding vacation coming up in one month! If this sort of injury has happened to anyone I would really appreciate your advice!

Thanks,
Nikki

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Should I go to the hospital?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:48:29 AM »
Second dumb question of the day!

Why do people think that a bunch of unknown internet weirdos (I include myself in that description  ;D ) can offer advice on a knee injury that they cannot see, to a person they know nothing about (except for what has been written by that person).

If you are hurting and worried, go see a doctor in real life. They are not going to tell you off for disturbing them for goodness' sake!  ::) Accidents happen, you did not actually throw yourself at the rock on purpose did you?  ;) ;D

For piece of mind with this sort of injury, the only help that is useful is from real people with recognised medical training and qualifications! As you have a snowboarding holiday coming up soon, you need to have that peace of mind. If you have done something, then you need to make a decision about what you are going to do about your holiday.

1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 399
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:18:30 AM »
I would go to the Emergency Department asap - you whacked bone against rock, you are swollen and in pain - you could have fractured that bone, or anything else on the severity scale.  As K-K says, go get examined by a medical professional, get an X Ray, get a treatment plan (and be able to make a decision about the holiday).

In the meantime, ice it, elevate it, take painkillers.

As I think you are probably in N America, or Down Under, hopefully you've done all of this already and have some answers or at least an idea of what is going on :)

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:21:42 AM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:04:40 AM »
Hi Nikki,

Welcome to KGs! I hope your visit here is short for all the right reasons... You're not dumb, but don't be shy about going and getting that knee looked at ASAP. Rocks are not known for their gentleness and knees don't like being smacked into them - as Vickster says, anything could have happened in there, and no doc is going to mind looking at it. Don't wait on this one!

Good luck and I hope you haven't done anything serious. Do let us know how you get on, and ask anything you want. There are a lot of knowledgeable and friendly people here, and if they can't answer your question they can point you in the right direction to find it.

Hope you can get to that holiday, but don't take any chances with that knee - even if that pain and swelling are just from bruising it badly, it might take a little longer than 2 weeks for it to be up for a full on fortnight of snowboarding!! See what the doc says and go by whatever they advise...

Take care,

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

support