Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Synvisc One & Euflexxa ... question  (Read 24090 times)

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 376
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Synvisc One & Euflexxa ... question
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 08:21:23 AM »
It's always interesting to hear how different surgeons have different experiences with the same treatment - as said, mine has patients who get 2 years relief, but then he is very selective about where he uses HA - I don't think in extensive OA.  He says it is not an alternative to TKR and that also probably means osteotomy.  If a big surgery is warranted, it makes sense that a conservative treatment is less likely to succeed.  In my view, always exhaust the conservative first - I had surgery for tennis elbow last November, but not until I had tried lots of physio, a support, taping, acupuncture, steroid and PRP!

All the best for whatever you and your surgeon decide  :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:26:49 AM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline JOW_103

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 08:10:27 PM »
Well I have reached the proverbial end of my rope.  I worked as the show manager at the facility my fraternal organization owns over the weekend.  After about 20 minutes of standing on my feet I couldn't stand it anymore.  Walking and just standing was extremely painful.  When I sat down for 15 - 20 minutes the pain would subside but as soon as I started walking again it came right back.  I worked both Saturday and Sunday with the same results.

Earlier in the week I was standing in my kitchen folding some letters, after about 15 minutes I had to sit down because my knees got very painful again. 

I have made an appointment with my OS for next Wednesday to discuss other options. 

My feeling is the injection did help with the day to day pain felt while just walking.  I seem to have a dull pain but better than what I was feeling prior to the injection.  However, if I walk or stand for a short period of time (15 mins. or longer) the pain get's worse. The only way to get rid of it is to sit for a long time and let it go away.  Even 800 MG prescription Motrin won't dull the pain I feel and I never seemed to get rid of the stiffness I feel in my knees either. 

Would I recommend Synvisc One.  Probably as it does help with the day to day walking and if effective can provide up to 6 months of relief.  I think the more active you are the less likely it is to help and the type and grade of OA impacts it's effectiveness as well.

For me I would say it did not work because doing daily living tasks (grocery shopping, walking around the mall, working) it didn't help.  All I know is I'm tired of feeling this way and am looking forward to another more effective treatment option whatever that might be.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 376
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 08:13:44 PM »
Might be worth discussing an unloader brace given your arthritis is confined to one compartment - not to use all the time, just when you think you may need it

Or there are surgical options of course, if you feel ready and you have confidence in your surgeon's recommendations.  There are some excellent articles in the information hub on osteotomy, replacements etc

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline JOW_103

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 03:22:08 AM »
@Vickster I actually have an unloader brace.  I got it right when I started my Euflexxa injections over the summer.  I wore it for two straight weeks and found it really didn't help with the pain.  I have also worn it when I know I am going to be on my feet for long periods.  It doesn't seem to really do to much.

I mentioned this to the OS when I first met him.  He said that my knee ligaments are very tight and so the 3% of offset that the brace provides isn't enough to make a difference. 

I honestly think my best options are PKR or HTO.  It's going to come doe to what the OS thinks is best and how much activity I want to lose if I get a PKR vs. HTO.

Offline JOW_103

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 06:52:04 PM »
Just came back from my consult with the OS.  After looking ate the latest x-rays and discussing the  options we have decided that a PKR is in order. Because of my age and activity level he didn't think the HTO would provide enough pain relief.  My surgery is scheduled for April 1st.

He also said my right is too far gone for an HTO or PKR so I am headed for a TKR in that knee at some point down the road.

Not really looking forward to the surgery but am glad that there is some light at the end of this tunnel.  I will be creating my surgical diary on the board so others may learn from my experiences.

support