Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: PKR/TKR and Grab rails in the bathroom?  (Read 5088 times)

Offline SallyW

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
PKR/TKR and Grab rails in the bathroom?
« on: January 11, 2013, 06:16:57 PM »
I am 50, have been told by my doctors (sports medicine doc and orthopedic surgeon) that I definitely need a PKR, possibly a TKR. They are going to refer me to a doctor that can actually do the surgery - my current surgeon doesn't do them. I know about the decisions of PKR vs TKR; I'll be reading about the issues and also talking to my sports medicine doc for advice.

My dh and I are building a house - which is why I can't have a KR until fall of this year - need to be settled in our new house first. New house is one story - no stairs. We aren't designing it to be ADA accessible, but we are making it "crutch" friendly, because of my trashed knees. We are putting in a larger (48 inch) shower with grab bars - it can hold a shower seat if necessary. Should we put a grab bar by the toilets as well? I hesitate to do so since I don't want our house to look like a hospital! But if that's what we need to do, we'll do it. Are there any other additions or whatever that we should think about? Unfortunately, both my knees are damaged, so this will probably not be my only KR.
Right knee: LR/TTT 1995 Left knee: LR/TTT 2000, Microfracture & partial meniscus removal 2004, Synvisc 2004, Unloader 2004, OATS 6/20/2005, Synvisc 2006, Debridement 2006

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
Re: PKR/TKR and Grab rails in the bathroom?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 07:09:06 PM »
Hi there,

I haven't had a PKR or TKR but I do have long-term knee problems with my left knee, and growing issues with my right, and have had some adaptations made to the bathroom to make life more bearable.

Unfortunately this type of equipment doesn't seem to made in anything other than 'clinical' look, BUT it is sooo much easier on your body to have it there. I hated it initially, but now I wouldn't be without it, and every time I get out of the bath or sit on the loo I'm glad I've got them...

- I have a toilet frame - it is not fixed so can be removed if you are having visitors. It basically sits around the toilet to give you a handle at each side, meaning you can put your weight through your arms to sit and get back up. My mum is very envious of mine!!
- For the bath, I have a seat which goes across the top of the bath - I use it to get in, but everyone in the house uses it for mugs, books etc too! I also have a bath stool (just a basic stool with short rubber feet), if things are very painful i use it - you sit on the higher seat, then lower yourself onto the stool and then down onto the base of the bath. Sounds a hassle but you soon get used to it. They also put me in a grab rail by the bath which is invaluable for getting in and out during better times when I don't use the stool.

It is undeniably a hard thing to accept, but you and your family will quickly get used to your bathroom's new look, and you certainly don't want to have an accident and THEN get them put in...!! What you are doing makes good sense, and you will be glad of them.

Take care and good luck!

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
Re: PKR/TKR and Grab rails in the bathroom?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:54:44 PM »
Hello SallyW,

I had bilateral PFR in 2005.  One suggestion about the new shower... Make sure the lip in the shower stall is very low.  My DW and I had the shower replaced after my PFR (struggling to get in and out).  With a low shower stall lip I can get in and out without the need of grab rails.  And yes I did have a shower seat.  As far as the toilet, I never needed any grab rails.  Sorry no suggestions for this.

Take care and good luck,
Mr. F