Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: kinespring  (Read 3745 times)

Offline ahenderson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
kinespring
« on: January 10, 2013, 03:42:26 PM »
hi everyone my name is angie and I'm new to this so hope I've got to the right bit. I had a kine spring done on my right knee on the 1st of May 2012 all was going well took about 5months to really get back to normal but was going great until last Saturday afternoon when I slipped and damaged my knee it keeps clicking now and a bit of pain went to see surgeon today and have to go back in to get some work done. they dont know if they have to replace whole spring or just the bit that's broken.Will find out tomorrow going back in to hospital on Monday. feel absolutely gutted felt I was getting back to normal then this happens. was really pleased with spring had no more pain had a bit of numbness still but no pain so that was the main thing .now I feel I've taken 2steps backwards.has anyone else had this sort of problem? and if so what happens next hope someone has info on this thanks.

Offline Diegas

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: kinespring
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 01:31:04 AM »
I do not know the answers to your questions.  But just wanted to let you know I know how frustrating it is to have made so much progress, and then lose ground. Let's hope what they can do to fix it will get you right back to where you were, and quickly. Hang in there.
01/2012 RK synovectomy and chondroplasty surgery
01/2012 Same problems start with LK
01/2013 Considering surgery on LK

Offline Adobec

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 03:43:09 AM »
I am so sorry! 

Hopefully they can just fix the spring or a component of it... Meaning no more drilling into bones.  I would think the recovery would be minimal compared to your may surgery. 

I appreciate your input on kinespring, I'm considering it. 
1991 - R ACL patellar tendon, med. meniscus removed (50%)
2002 - R ACL revision, cadaver, lat. meniscus removed (50%)
2011 - L ACL patellar tendon, med. and lat. meniscus REPAIR. 
3/2012 - L Medial meniscectomy (didn't heal from 2011), microfracture
11/6/12  - L TTT (maquet). Micro fully healed

Offline ahenderson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 09:43:35 AM »
thanks for input  feeling a bit  better today being positive hope surgeon  phones soon can't stand all this waiting just want it done n whatever has to be done.

Offline Adobec

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 05:07:57 AM »
Hang in there.... Waiting is the absolute hardest for me.
1991 - R ACL patellar tendon, med. meniscus removed (50%)
2002 - R ACL revision, cadaver, lat. meniscus removed (50%)
2011 - L ACL patellar tendon, med. and lat. meniscus REPAIR. 
3/2012 - L Medial meniscectomy (didn't heal from 2011), microfracture
11/6/12  - L TTT (maquet). Micro fully healed

Offline ahenderson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 04:13:08 PM »
thanks adobec I know just wish it was done and I'll get on with it AGAIN !

Offline Apleyboy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 12:19:55 PM »
I ve Seen a Report on the Web were just the Spring was replacemnt Base Platzes left in , i  had my Spring fitted 5dec 2012 so i m a New Boy on the Block ..

Offline ahenderson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 03:59:49 PM »
hi Apleyboy hope  you are right and its just the one part they can replace.I'll soon find out.Hope you are getting on alright with your new spring.

Offline Apleyboy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 08:43:47 AM »
If you Type kniespring Revision you should find a Site www.dovepress.com. If i ve read this right they removed the Spring because of Infektion And fitted a New One 3months later Leaving the Base Plates in .  Good to know once the Spring is worn Swap it Out. Hope all Goes well
Search Here for kniespring their are about 6 of us on One Page a Good Motivation Group ... When we have dark days..

Offline ahenderson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 10:40:19 PM »
thanks apleyboy  I will go do that just now I'm going in tomorrow so my surgeon has said if he can fix the part that's broken he will if not he 'll replace what needs to be fixed. feeling a bit nervous only cos I don't know what they will need to do .Will keep u  posted . thanks again.

Offline ahenderson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 07:39:07 PM »
just a wee update. went into hospital yesterday to get my kinespring fixed well my operation went really well they managed to fix just the part that was broken and only had to open one of my old scars the top one. I'm really pleased with the outcome . I was really nervous before I went in . did nt  have to be as all went well  u were right apleyboy I think I was just thinking the worst.i

Offline Apleyboy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 03:08:11 PM »
thats good news , in my view the top cut is less painful than the lower .

Offline firebabe71

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 06:54:23 AM »
I am 11 weeks post op and I am wondering how much physio everyone else has had, as I have only had one dose which was at 6 weeks post op.

Offline Lappel1998

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 10:01:50 PM »
Hi,

once again this site confuses me. I am a recipient of a Kinespring that was implanted on Aug 1 2013. I have made several posts on this site but not had any real communication with anyone about them. This is a shame as I know I feel quite alone when it comes to information about what I am experiencing.

My recovery for the first 2 months was a nice upward line. I went to weekly PT at OHSU in the same building where I had the surgery. I did increased activity and more strenuous exercises for the first 8 weeks then out of the blue started to experience sharp pain in my shin. This pain is akin to having a large scab covering your upper shin and having it pulled off. Or perhaps having glue applied to the shin. Sometimes the pain can feel like a knife being drawn accross the shin just below the knee.
Resting has not provided the relief I had hoped for and neither the doctor nor the PT have been able to tell me exactly what the cause is, what I should do about it, or when it might go away.
I am taking Naproxen or Ibuprohen when the pain is severe (800mg) and this seems to help a bit so I do believe it is a nerve/inflammation problem. I have decided I need to remain active and try to confront the pain head on. I continue to try and stretch (at times into the pain) and remain active by walking and using the stationary bike. (my attempt to road bike failed as the pain was too great)
I will return to work the first week of November which should prove interesting as walking, bending, climbing, Kneeling,etc. are all required in my job. I am not overly optimistic at this point and would love to have someone with greater knowledge give me some feedback.

Offline drwhit

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 12:21:54 PM »
Hi

I had my Kinespring fitted in August 2013, and I'm still really struggling and wondering whether to have it removed, I was recovering well and starting to go out walking in my rehab and in the 12th week I felt another pain along the front of my knee which caused pain I have never felt anything like before, I couldn't walk at all without crutches although sitting & driving was fine, surgeon was great and had me back for MRI scan and thankfully all was well with spring but a chondral defect was spotted and I was back in again for a microfracture procedure in October 2013, no-one knows the cause it may just have been bad luck, but this setback stopped me from trying to exercise the spring, now in terrible pain at times when the knee is bending and it could be the something is getting caught in the mechanism - maybe scar tissue, other problem is that my leg just will not straighten at all, which in turn causes unreal pain most of the time. I have bad days and not so bad days but just waiting for a good day, I'm happy to help anyone thinking of having this op, although we are all different.