Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Think very carefully before you decide to go for a scope  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Lana1

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Think very carefully before you decide to go for a scope
« on: January 07, 2013, 03:39:37 PM »
I had a scope 4 weeks ago, had a lot of swelling and fever afterwards, fever went after a course of antibiotics, now it's back and a pain I had pre-op is back but it's 10 times worse and the swelling doesn't go down, knee is hot to the touch. Pre-op it was never swollen. I wish I never done the surgery. Should've continued with conservative treatment for longer.
I can't put any weight on the operated knee, have to use crutches. Can't walk for more than 2 min, can't do stairs or any exercises, as the knee flares up badly and no painkillers and ice help.
So think very carefully before considering a scope, research about your condition, try everything else and leave a scope as the very last resort.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: Think very carefully before you decide to go for a scope
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 03:59:32 PM »
This is good advice for any procedure. But I’d also caution any reader that one person’s bad experience will not always translate to the same negative experience for the next person. If I’ve learned anything, it’s that all our knees are individual and decisions should be based on that. I suspect surgeons cringe every time a patient walks into their office and says “well I went online and read this story about a person who had this bad thing happen when they had XY procedure done”

Research, research, research… ask educated questions based on science, not fear.

Lana - I'm not sure what you had done with the scope, but 4 weeks is still early on, I’d encourage you to stay patient and try to be optimistic. For what its worth, My sister went through a similar situation a couple years ago with a simple clean-up ‘scope’ she expected to be on the go and perfect with-in a couple weeks. It seemed to get worse before it got better. Once she accepted the situation and gave her knee some patience and time to heal, it did eventually get better. This took about 6+ months for her – we all heal at different rates. And she’s now glad she had it done. But if you had asked her 1-2 months after she would have responded much the same way you have here. It’s mentally tough, but hang in there.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 399
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 04:13:19 PM »
I second this. 4 weeks is very early and of course any infection won't be helping. Perhaps you need cultures taken so they can find the right antibiotic to kill any nasties that may still be lurking

My second scope was a straightforward clean up with a durolane injection. Took a good 3-6 months before I felt as I had done pre op. it was a very tough time at work for me with many 12 hour days or 60+ hour weeks

Persevere. It will get better. Even A simple scope is a pretty big trauma to the joint which the little holes don't really show. You had plica and synovium removal and a chondroplasty so it will take time :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Lana1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 04:16:58 PM »
This is good advice for any procedure. But I’d also caution any reader that one person’s bad experience will not always translate to the same negative experience for the next person. If I’ve learned anything, it’s that all our knees are individual and decisions should be based on that. I suspect surgeons cringe every time a patient walks into their office and says “well I went online and read this story about a person who had this bad thing happen when they had XY procedure done”

Research, research, research… ask educated questions based on science, not fear.

Lana - I'm not sure what you had done with the scope, but 4 weeks is still early on, I’d encourage you to stay patient and try to be optimistic. For what its worth, My sister went through a similar situation a couple years ago with a simple clean-up ‘scope’ she expected to be on the go and perfect with-in a couple weeks. It seemed to get worse before it got better. Once she accepted the situation and gave her knee some patience and time to heal, it did eventually get better. This took about 6+ months for her – we all heal at different rates. And she’s now glad she had it done. But if you had asked her 1-2 months after she would have responded much the same way you have here. It’s mentally tough, but hang in there.
Hi Allyd
Thanks a lot for your response, it really helps phychologically to know that I am not alone. What did you sister have done with the scope? I had a smal cartilage tear at the back of patella removed and plica and some synovitis were removed too.
I also didn't like that they went to operate despite me having a low grade fever on the day, they said it was ok. I would have thought that the inflammation should be reduced before the go in to operate.

Offline Lana1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 04:19:38 PM »
I second this. 4 weeks is very early and of course any infection won't be helping. Perhaps you need cultures taken so they can find the right antibiotic to kill any nasties that may still be lurking

My second scope was a straightforward clean up with a durolane injection. Took a good 3-6 months before I felt as I had done pre op. it was a very tough time at work for me with many 12 hour days or 60+ hour weeks

Persevere. It will get better. Even A simple scope is a pretty big trauma to the joint which the little holes don't really show. You had plica and synovium removal and a chondroplasty so it will take time :)
Hey Vicks, thanks! :)
Going to see the surgeon tomorrow. I was in agony last night.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 05:01:51 PM »
I had a smal cartilage tear at the back of patella removed and plica and some synovitis were removed too.

It's not something I have personal experience of, but from conversations and other threads on this board I believe plica removal is something that often turns out to be more painful and slower to recover from than expected. Unfortunately this may well mean you're in for a longer recovery than a basic scope; the good news is that you definitely aren't alone in these difficulties.

The one thing I would keep an eye on is any further signs of infection (heat, fever, etc) and get them investigated if they don't go away. If you do have an infection, much better to play it safe and get the treatment it needs.

Best of luck - sorry it's been a rough ride so far, and hopefully things will start to improve soon.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Lana1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 05:37:22 PM »
I had a smal cartilage tear at the back of patella removed and plica and some synovitis were removed too.

It's not something I have personal experience of, but from conversations and other threads on this board I believe plica removal is something that often turns out to be more painful and slower to recover from than expected. Unfortunately this may well mean you're in for a longer recovery than a basic scope; the good news is that you definitely aren't alone in these difficulties.

The one thing I would keep an eye on is any further signs of infection (heat, fever, etc) and get them investigated if they don't go away. If you do have an infection, much better to play it safe and get the treatment it needs.

Best of luck - sorry it's been a rough ride so far, and hopefully things will start to improve soon.
Thanks, Snowy!
I don't even understand why he removed plica, as he said it was small.  I thought they remove it when it is large and inflamed. I also worry about this swelling which is mostly on top and above the knee pushing my patella down all the time, don't want to end up with patella baja. At the moment my operated knee's patella is much lower than the one on a better knee.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:38:55 PM by Lana1 »

Offline JTB

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 06:05:46 PM »
Did you have patella chondroplasty? What else did they do? Sorry you are suffering, but in spite of what your OS may or may not have told you presurgery, four weeks is very little time.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:37:14 PM by JTB »
Bike racer electing sport-med scope Jan 2011 for patella catch: shave patella, MFC and trochlea (with sneaky lateral release) Grade 3 findings. @ 1 year, CRPS, pain inhibition, muscle atrophy, osteopenia, sudden bilateral chondromalacia. in free-fall 2 1/2 years.
Today on Strava riding well.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 07:03:47 PM »
Hi Allyd
Thanks a lot for your response, it really helps phychologically to know that I am not alone. What did you sister have done with the scope?

She had a chondroplasty/clean-up to her worn cartilage. Mostly on the patella I believe.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 01:47:24 PM »
Hi Lana,

Sorry you're still feeling so rough after your scope. It's a tricky thing, the whole question of a scope - I often wish I hadn't had mine after coming out of it with CRPS, but without it I wouldn't have known that my initial pain was due to PFOA and not my imagination! And my CRPS is a rare complication that the surgeon couldn't foresee - scopes help surgeons to diagnose lots of conditions that can then be treated, and most people come out of them fine. I agree that four weeks is still early, try not to worry too much.

I hope you feel better soon.

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline Lana1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 10:14:05 PM »
Hi Lana,

Sorry you're still feeling so rough after your scope. It's a tricky thing, the whole question of a scope - I often wish I hadn't had mine after coming out of it with CRPS, but without it I wouldn't have known that my initial pain was due to PFOA and not my imagination! And my CRPS is a rare complication that the surgeon couldn't foresee - scopes help surgeons to diagnose lots of conditions that can then be treated, and most people come out of them fine. I agree that four weeks is still early, try not to worry too much.

I hope you feel better soon.

Brams  ;)
Thanks, Brams. :) Hope you feel better soon :)

Offline Lana1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 10:15:52 PM »
Did you have patella chondroplasty? What else did they do? Sorry you are suffering, but in spite of what your OS may or may not have told you presurgery, four weeks is very little time.
Thanks JTB. :)
I had some patella chondroplasty and some synovitis and plica removed.

Offline Lana1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 04:43:09 PM »
It was a very bad idea to have a scope. :(
Didn't have any swelling and stiffness do deal with before the op, and the pain so much worse. :(
Grrr

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 05:18:08 PM »
Hiya Lana

Ive had a couple of scopes and due another in a month following major surgery last year.  As said before everyone is different and any swelling is the bodies reaction to it saying hey you mr laser get out of here!  I was up and about after one in about 4 days felt much better and another was laid out for 2-3 months.  A friend of mine has just had one and has not been able to walk properly for 4 months with swelling similar to yours.

These things just take different times try not to worry i'm sure the healing process is working inside!

You take care

SG
'96 ACL reconstruction
'09 Arthroscopy/cartilage repair
Diagnosed with Grade 4 OA no medial cartilage and significant varus alignment
'11 fitted with off loading knee brace
'12 HTO, meniscus transplant, acl reconstruction & microfracture all in 1 go!

Offline Lana1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 06:40:04 PM »
Hiya Lana

Ive had a couple of scopes and due another in a month following major surgery last year.  As said before everyone is different and any swelling is the bodies reaction to it saying hey you mr laser get out of here!  I was up and about after one in about 4 days felt much better and another was laid out for 2-3 months.  A friend of mine has just had one and has not been able to walk properly for 4 months with swelling similar to yours.

These things just take different times try not to worry i'm sure the healing process is working inside!

You take care

SG
Thanks, silver ghost.
Just hope it's on the mend. Hard to do physio too, makes knee angry..