Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bicompartmental partial knee replacement?  (Read 601 times)

Offline Adobec

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Bicompartmental partial knee replacement?
« on: January 07, 2013, 04:01:25 AM »
I am 38 with very bad arthritis in my right knee.  The medial compartment is the worst, lateral is better but still showing arthritic changes.  I am not a candidate for an osteotomy or a uni PKR.  Was told I need to wait as long as possible before a TKR, which I completely agree with.  Met someone the other day (a nurse anesthetist) who mentioned her surgeon ( she traveled to Ohio from Utah to have her PKR done) was having great success with a bicompartmental partial knee.  Just looking for anyone who has had this done or who has heard anything about it.

Thanks!
1991 - R ACL patellar tendon, med. meniscus removed (50%)
2002 - R ACL revision, cadaver, lat. meniscus removed (50%)
2011 - L ACL patellar tendon, med. and lat. meniscus REPAIR. 
3/2012 - L Medial meniscectomy (didn't heal from 2011), microfracture
11/6/12  - L TTT (maquet). Micro fully healed

Offline Adobec

• Regular Poster
Re: Bicompartmental partial knee replacement?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 10:58:55 PM »
Hmmm.... not getting any replies here :(

Has anyone had a medial PKR, with the anticipation of a lateral PKR in the future on that same knee?

I've heard of it being done - rarely.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 03:59:44 AM »
I've only heard of them doing a partial in one compartment then going to a full knee later. I've just turned 41 and my medial compartment and back of kneecap is so trashed, that the only thing left is TKR. They want me to hold off as long as possible too, but the medial pain is significantly worsening, to the point where I'm about to the level where I'm having to consider going to daily pain meds and thinking of a pain management consult.

I can't afford the ancillary costs of doing the TKR - the household expenses while laid up for 3 months on reduced income (short term disability is only 60% pay) plus the added costs on the healthcare side.. the deductible and copay and coinsurance costs they insist be paid up front. These days these places are insisting that if your deductible isn't met, you pay your share to meet it up front, and they calculate what your percentage is of your coinsurance and want that up front too... so it can be pretty hefty when they want 20% of their estimates of the fees. Even if they're over what the actual allowed is... getting it back later doesn't mean a thing when they take months to send it and you need it now for the physical therapist who wants their fees now, not later. They did all this mess to me with just a knee scope.... so I can imagine that a TKR is just magnitudes worse.... and I've no reserves to cover "my share" and they don't let you do payments later.... you gotta have your deductible and copay/coinsurance up front or no surgery - they consider this elective, even though if you can't walk for crud, to you it's not... but to their way of thinking, it is.

So... I wait... and live with what I got... and have decided I'm just gonna have to be a little less stoic and take the pills and be more comfortable. I hate the things... but they do help. Thankfully they don't muck with my  head, or anything else along those lines. Stonehead, that's me.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Adobec

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 04:35:08 AM »
Have you heard of makoplasty?  I think they have a specific implant for medial AND patellofemoral compartments.  Very little downtime.  You should check it out.