Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Need some guidance: Derotational bilateral tibial and femoral osteotomy  (Read 614 times)

Offline MomtoBrie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello All,

My daughter is 12 years old and has high degrees of misalignment in both her legs. Her surgeon wants to do both legs at the same time and both femur and tibia at the same time as well.. 4 bones, two legs.. along with knee stapling. It is getting closer to her surgical date and I am feeling more and more uneasy about doing all of this at once with my daughter. I am worried it is too much for her to handle at once and with both legs not being able to bear weight post op, I am worried about her getting a blood clot from inactivity. Has anyone been through this much surgically? How will her recovery be? Is there extra danger to doing both legs at the same time? Any advice? TIA!

Offline javadog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Need some guidance: Derotational bilateral tibial and femoral osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 07:59:01 PM »
Hi,
I just had a femoral and tibial osteotomies to correct a hip problem and tibial torsion (Dec 19).  I have 45 degrees of anteversion in both legs.  One at a time is my advice.  I'm 38 and have 5 kids and I can tell you that I was able to be up and mobile by two weeks post op.  Yes, it hurt and I can't imagine both legs at once.  She wouldn't be able to walk for a very long time. I'm currently 7 weeks post op and driving and functioning mostly as I was before the surgery.  I am and have been weight bearing as tolerated.  It really isn't the bone pain that got me.  It was, and still is, the soft tissue.  My adductors (inner thigh muscles) are rather upset that they had to stretch all at once and the range of motion in my ankle is quite restrictive. Don't do them both!  I am an avid CrossFitter and personal trainer and I'm in great shape.   I couldn't walk now if I had them both done.  It would make recovery very, very difficult.  She could be back in school in 3 to 4 weeks, and then have the other leg done over the summer.  Both legs would take her out for months.  I was training in the gym at 4 weeks post op.  I'll be praying for her!

support