Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Scar Tissue?  (Read 674 times)

Offline rnm37

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
Scar Tissue?
« on: January 06, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »
Hello

Its now a month since my ACLr/meniscus surgery - after doing some rehab exercises and fairly vigorous massage of the area below my knee cap; I woke up the following morning to find my knee was cracking and popping quite a lot, specifically when I straighten my knee out. Is this likely to be scar tissue breaking up or anything more serious? I will talk to my physio about it next week and it isn't painful the vast majority of the time; but as you might imagine I am quite sensitive to new sensations in my knee right now. Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues at this stage of recovery.

Cheers!

Ross
June 2012 - ACL rupture and lateral meniscus tear

December 2012 - ACL recon (hamstring autograft) and meniscus trim

October 2013 - Retore ACL and tore medial meniscus :(!

January 2014 - Revision ACL recon (hamstring)

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Scar Tissue?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 01:35:25 PM »
Hi Russ,

all surgery causes "scar tissue" to form as the trauma of surgery has to be countered some how! What you are hearing is probably exactly that, the breaking up of any scar tissue as your knee starts to move more normally. If you have not had any pain, nor had some kind of trauma such as a fall or unexpected twist (a hard one!), then you have hit the nail right on the head. By breaking it up you will find that the knee will move much more freely.

However it is always a good idea to report any changes in terms of sensations, pain, movements, etc to your real-live therapists and/or your surgeon, just to make sure. By reporting this to your physio for example they will be aware of the fact that maybe you can start to do some other kinds of exercises due to the knee having more mobility.

Contrary to what you read here a lot of the time, scar tissue is actually quite natural and is not to be worried about. There is an extremely rare condition where the body continues to produce scar tissue in large quantities and this inhibits the recovery quite severely. It appears from the number of posts you can read on here to be more prevalent than it actually is simply because people come to Bulletin Boards like this when problems occur. Don't worry about that yet as at your current stage of rehab, the crepitus you are hearing is actually quite normal.

My knees creak and crack like nobodies business most mornings - I call it old-age and the reward for all the abuse I have put my knees and ankles through all my life!  ;D ::)

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline rnm37

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
Re: Scar Tissue?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 04:25:39 PM »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for your reply and advice - I counted 5 acl recons in your signature, sounds as if you know what you're talking about! I could not imagine going through this again!

I'm less concerned than I was this morning, just returned from the gym where i did all my exercises and cycled for 25 mins with no real problems beyond the usual aches. This cracking has also coincided with me achieving full flexion which I am told is good progress for a month after surgery :D so it sounds as if you're right in suggesting my knee might move more freely.

Thanks again,

Ross
June 2012 - ACL rupture and lateral meniscus tear

December 2012 - ACL recon (hamstring autograft) and meniscus trim

October 2013 - Retore ACL and tore medial meniscus :(!

January 2014 - Revision ACL recon (hamstring)