Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellar Tedinosis with Quad Atrophy  (Read 586 times)

Offline Sara10

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
    • My patellar tendinosis
Patellar Tedinosis with Quad Atrophy
« on: January 06, 2013, 03:00:27 AM »
Hello,

2 months ago I injured my knee during a Barre Class, I felt a pop in front of my knee during leg work and I had to stop my workout.  It was toward the end of class so abs were next, and we did the bicycle and it was immediate that I couldn't lift my injured leg up to do the move.   I walked out of class fine, even down stairs fine, the pain went away.  It wasn't until a few days later the pain really sunk in, it was unbearable,  and I haven't been able to walk normal since (That's when I started RICE)

The MRI was negative says there was no tear but Tendinosis.   I've started physical therapy but it's painful to do some of these easy moves ( assisted leg raise).  I can only walk (with a stiff leg) for about 1/2 block before my knee starts hurting and I have to get home.  So for these first 2 months.  I've really been at bedrest and doing upper body work.

Finally got to see my orthopedic surgeon and he said, I'm healing, but I really need to go to PT and to move more, try out a bike.  To get my quad to work again.  It literally feels like I can't tell my brain to engage my quad, there's a disconnect.  So it's difficult.

My questions to you that no one else seems to be able to answer for me are

-If this really is jumpers knee.  How come I've never had any pain in the patellar tendon before this injury?  It's only one knee... But I do feel like because my left one has been doing all the work for the past 2 months, it is also beginning to a hurt a little, no quad weakness though, I can extend all the way with no pain.

-I heard that the quad goes into atrophy as a way to protect the tendon (since it pulls on it).  But when will the pain go away?  I use RICE everyday.  Oh and sitting prolonged periods does not make me feel pain.  I only feel pain after I try and rehab my quad. 

Also, the OS said I may have patellar chondromalacia in both knee, worse in my injured one.  This is a first I've ever noticed that grinding feeling when I touch it.  Is this what causes those painful pops in my knee since my injury? 

Has this happened to anyone?  Please help, I really miss being able to lift my leg and walk normally.  It's affecting my well being

Thanks

-Sara
11/2012 R patellar tendon injury, immediate quad atrophy
12/2012 MRI- tendinosis
1/2013- OS- Patellar tendinitis and Chondromalacia
3/2013 L Patellar tendon pop, no quad atrophy
7/5/13   Normal MRI, right knee tendinosis cured!

Offline GIMPocalypse

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patellar Tedinosis with Quad Atrophy
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 02:55:04 PM »
Hi Sara!

I don't have TOO much in the way of advice...but 9/12 I had a sports related trauma to my knee and EVENTUALLY (after 7 weeks of PT, I finally had an MRI) it was determined that I had a partial PCL tear, partial quad tendon tear, partial patellar tendon tear, patellar tendinosis, and chondromalacia. 

I was doing fine when I was in PT--but upon having the MRI my OS removed me from PT to determine the next course of action.  I have been in a PCL knee brace since late November and (in my mind) have a great deal of quad atrophy...finally walking up stairs doesn't "hurt" my knee but I can barely climb the stairs to my apartment due to lack of leg strength. 

I go back to the OS next week (actually see the PA who was the one who referred me for an MRI due to lack of progress....) sooooo here's hoping the healing process REALLY begins.  I'll let you know what he says to me re: Atrophy. 

**I should also mention that ALL my OS mentioned to me was my PCL tear.  BUT I actually went to the Imaging Center and requested a write-up of my results, which is where I found out all of the other details...so if you haven't received a write-up from Radiology I would highly recommend doing so.
Injured 9/12/12
Ortho 1: Partial ACL Tear
Ortho 2: Possible Lat Meniscus Tear
7 weeks of PT, finally an MRI
MRI Report: Partial PCL tear, partial quad tendon tear, partial patellar tendon tear, chondromalacia, patellar tendinosis
Currently: Wearing a DonJoy Custom Defiance and "waiting"

Offline Sara10

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
    • My patellar tendinosis
Re: Patellar Tedinosis with Quad Atrophy
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:29:15 AM »
Thank you I appreciate it

Sorry to what happened to you.  Yes I've very weak on stairs too so I've been trying to use the railing and pull myself up as much as possible.. Not sure how much it's helping.  I'm just trying to move more.  Let me know how it goes with your OS!  I won't see mine again until Feb 5th
11/2012 R patellar tendon injury, immediate quad atrophy
12/2012 MRI- tendinosis
1/2013- OS- Patellar tendinitis and Chondromalacia
3/2013 L Patellar tendon pop, no quad atrophy
7/5/13   Normal MRI, right knee tendinosis cured!

support