Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: patella fracture during acl reconstruction  (Read 988 times)

Offline gibby11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
patella fracture during acl reconstruction
« on: January 05, 2013, 07:31:48 PM »
5 weeks ago i had acl recon choosing to use my pattelar graft as i have had hamstring issues in the past. Turns out my knee cap was cracked either at birth or at some point when i was younger.  my surgeon didnt see this before the surgery and during the procudure part of my knee cap cracked off, forcing the surgeon to use 2 screws to put it back together. He said it was uncommon and would delay my short term healing time and that everything else went fine during the surgery.  ive been in a knee brace for 5 weeks and am seeing my surgeon next tuesday.  i can get my knee to 50 degrees but i feel a tremendous amount of pressure.  perhaps i am being negative, but i feel like my knee will never be the szme and that i should have chosen to cope with the slight discomfort and pain iwas dealing with before the surgery.  i am 30 yrs old athletic and in fairly good shape and tore my acl playing  semi pro baseball. if i would have known how uncomfortable and life changing this surgery was i woukd not have done it.  i could have played golf and sacrificed playing baseball hockey and skiing. did i make a mistake? will things get bettr? am i being paranoid that my knee wont be better than it was pre surgery? i am going to physio and making slow progress but the stifness and scar tissue build up in my knee makes me thing i will never be able to regain my full range of motion.  someone please tell me it will come back.  thanks

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 372
  • Neelie knee!
Re: patella fracture during acl reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 08:40:35 PM »
Welcome :)

It might help to add a a bit more information about the injury - when, what symptoms other than pain etc

Most do recover well from ACL surgery but it's a long haul, many months not weeks, and dilligent rehab is a must along with a positive attitude

Good luck with it all :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 08:47:42 PM »
Same thing happened to me in 2006 when the head of trauma at my local hospital reconstructed my ACL with a patella tendon graft. It is a known risk and the reason for the fracture as they harvest the graft can be really anything from earlier trauma to incompetency. It is relatively rare though. Mine was a non-displaced fracture and they "glued" it for want of a better word, then did not tell me about it. I was immobilised for about 6 weeks and it was only when I was assessed by the rehab facility doctor as I went into a residential rehab centre that I found out. The surgeon never said a word to me about it. They kept me in hospital for 2 weeks after the operation and I had passive therapy to reduce the swelling only.

As it turned out the guy made a complete pig's ear of my recon and I finally had a complete revision by another more competent surgeon 2.5 years later and have resumed my sports, including skiing and paragliding.

Don't despair, it can turn out well despite the poor start. At least your OS is treating your fracture openly and correctly, unlike my sly guy. It may take a wee bit longer but you should be right as rain in the end. It is a complication not the end of the world! There is always scar tissue after an operation, do not assume because of what you read here that it is terminal and you will never do sports again. As soon as you are freed to do so, start breaking it up and using massage to mobilise the repaired patella. True Arthrofibrosis (excessive and continuous build up of scar tissue due to a defective gene) is extremely rare but more and more surgeons are aware of it and are actively engaged in combatting it. A good physio will start work on freeing up your knee cap as soon as they are cleared to by the surgeon.

Sue  ;)

[edited to irradiate a few iPad auto-correct errors]
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:47:06 AM by Kaputt_Knee »
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline gibby11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 02:06:25 AM »
Thank you both for the cordial welcoming of my post.  i tore my acl on may 26th of 2012 trying to run down a fly ball in a baseball game.  immediately i knew something was wrong.  i needed help walking off the field. I was able to watch the injury on tv as our games are broadcasted on a local community cable channel.  i jumped against the wall trying to catch the fly ball and when i landed my foot wedged into the ground, causing my body weight to go in one direction, and my knee hyperextended backwards into the opposite direction. Its funny because although i couldnt walk for a few days and it took me a month to see my quad muscle again, it didnt bother me aside from occasional mild buckling of my knee and a tingy pain when i fully flexed my knee.  i went for an mri two weeks after the injury and the surgeon told me my acl was torn and advised me surgery was needed. I also asked a few other people i know in the sports medicine field and they all advised me that surgey was the best option because if i didnt do it now t would haunt me down the road.  hence, i did it.  i know i shouldnt regret it but i do. I havnt been able to drive since the surgery and dont see myself driving for another 3 weeks. If my patella was never fractured during the surgery id probably be in a much better position. Its really frustrating because i was never warned that this may happen, as not being able to drive has effected my work as a media salesperson.   because of the cracked patella, my surgeon hasnt approved any quad activations in physio. Does increased range of motion become easier when quads can be activated during physio and rehab at home? Really hoping it will get easier to see improvements on a more rapid scale.  although i was pleased this mornung when i was able to put a sock on my right foot without help for the first time since the surgery.

support