Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 4 weeks from ACI/TTT, how to prepare  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Mike-M

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Mike
4 weeks from ACI/TTT, how to prepare
« on: January 04, 2013, 06:43:35 PM »
    First let me say this has been the greatest single resource on the web for learning about my upcoming aci/ttt. I have read many stories and learned about the recovery period and what to expect. The main things I am finding is the level of patience needed is going to push me to my limits, and that each recovery is diferent with ups and downs at times. My aci is to repair a single defect of the patella as a result of a fractured patella approx 10 years ago. I have had the patella wired after the initial fracture, as well as 3 scopes since then. My OS feels this is the best route, and although it requires some dedication post op, I am really ready to get to a longer term solution. I am a 40 year old male in reasonable shape, coaching youth baseball and fairly active with hiking and playing softball until the knee just couldnt take anymore last year.
    Being 4 weeks out, my question for those that have experence with this proceedure is what would you have done differently before the surgery? Are there things to buy to make recovery even a little more comfortable, or exercises that will help with rehab? I know there is not a magic bullet that will make this simple, but as I learned from the initial injury any little thing that can help both the physical and mental side of recovery becomes really important in the grand scheme of the healing process.
    Thanks for any and all advice, I am not naturally the most patient person  :-[ and this is one proceedure that i can only push the rehab as far as my OS instructs.

Mike
2002 Fractured patella
2005 scope torn meniscus
2009 scope torn meniscus
2012 Dec, scope aci harvest
2013 Feb, aci/ttt

Offline Adobec

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Re: 4 weeks from ACI/TTT, how to prepare
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 03:28:52 AM »
Mike,

I may be able to help a bit:

I haven't had ACI, but had microfracture of the femoral trochlea last march.  This was a surprise, I found out when I woke up from surgery :(. I have done many rehabs (see signature) and this was the hardest for me...because I couldn't do ANYTHING!  I learned to slow down, which was so hard.  I was also very involved with crossfit before the surgery, and had a hard time dealing with the psychological impact of being told by one my dearest friends (also my surgeon) that crossfit was NOT in my long term best interest-- that I should stick to the pool and elliptical.  So, overall, this recovery was very tough mentally.  Physically, it was a piece of cake.  No pain meds, waled on that leg right out of surgery.  I did have dull aching pain even months after the surgery, that always takes its toll after such a long time.

I had a TTt on November 6 (patella was moved medially and laterally (maquet)). This recovery was easier than I expected.  Pain medicine for three days, I was 50% weight bearing from day one.  Went to one crutch at 10 days (so much easier around the house-- you can actually carry something!). I started the recumbent bike at 10 days, elliptical at 6 weeks.  I was able to ditch the crutches at 5 weeks. 

As with most knee rehabs, the main goal is to rebuild the quads and hams.  The quads are difficult with these particular surgeries because you are so limited with squatting, etc.  swimming is a godsend!

Let me know if you have any more specific questions. 
1991 - R ACL patellar tendon, med. meniscus removed (50%)
2002 - R ACL revision, cadaver, lat. meniscus removed (50%)
2011 - L ACL patellar tendon, med. and lat. meniscus REPAIR. 
3/2012 - L Medial meniscectomy (didn't heal from 2011), microfracture
11/6/12  - L TTT (maquet). Micro fully healed

Offline mkp22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: 4 weeks from ACI/TTT, how to prepare
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 10:22:41 PM »
I had my ACI scope on 6/11/12 and ACI implant with TTT on 8/31/12.  I've had numerous previous surgeries on my shoulder, ankle, both knees and never had a problem with scar tissue.  This surgery has created a large amount of scar tissue for me and I've had to follow it up with a scope and manipulation on 11/5/12 and a 2nd manipulation on 12/17/12.  My advice to you is to make sure your PT is familiar with the surgery.  My PT hadn't had an ACI patient before and had never even heard of it.  I just started with a new PT today who has worked with this surgery before and knows how to work with scar tissue.  One visit and I feel better already!  My other advice is to make sure you have some type of shower seat and a body pillow is extremely handy for keeping your leg propped up and keeping your knees from knocking if you sleep on your side.  Hope this helps!
2008 - Left and Right Knee OATS
2012 - Left Knee ACI w/ TTT
2012 - Left Knee scope w/ MUA
2012 - MUA