Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: just not the same  (Read 667 times)

Offline lorilavon

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
just not the same
« on: January 02, 2013, 01:59:55 AM »
Hi all, Happy new year! I haven't posted in a while. I have been doing PT three days a week for almost four weeks. I can say that my ROM is much better I am up to 110. I am wondering though, how long does it take to straighten the knee out. I can walk okay, but I have a SIGNIFICANT  limp. No matter how hard I try I cannot walk without it. I tried to go back to work which is as a waitress, 8 weeks after my procedure and I just cannot do it. I was in tears after being on my feet for even fours hours. I just feel so let down and so disappointed that I wonder if I made the right decision.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: just not the same
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:26:16 AM »
It would help people to connect if you added some information about your injury and procedure to your signature.

You are limping because the leg is not fully straightening as you walk through the step. If you are not using crutches any more, try to walk through your heel rolling your foot through to push off with the toes. It is quite a slow deliberate step at first, but you are re-educating your body to work properly after a long time.

As for working on the extension, using passive hanging was what helped me most. I still still watching TV or reading with my heel supported on a footstool and cushions and let my knee simply hang with nothing underneath it. It took some getting used to, but now it is my preferred way of sitting and relaxing. I even sit no the floor sometimes with my leg stretched out in a similar manner as I'm so used to it.
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline RLE

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: just not the same
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 05:42:38 PM »
You can also limp when your leg is not strong enough. I don't know what you had done but eight weeks then back to standing and walking on your leg 8 hours a day seems wrong to me. My PT told me that walking on a weak leg without crutches will lead to a permanent limp which can then cause knee, back and hip problems down the line.
Accident 2011: permanent dislocation, hole under the patella, bone fragments/debris embedded, scar tissue, 3 torn ligaments, fracture, cartilage sheared off, contracture,
2011 MUA
PT on-going
2012 MPFL reconstruction,TTT
        TTT
        Lateral lengthenin
        Arthroscopy/clean out
Thx Dr. T