Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Medial knee pain at bedtime  (Read 1482 times)

Offline FrankGiacobbe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Medial knee pain at bedtime
« on: December 29, 2012, 01:59:58 PM »
11 months ago I had my knee scoped for a lateral miniscus tear after a ski fall.  The MRI was not conclusive but the surgeon recommended the knee scoped. After the procedure the lateral miniscus was perfect, but for the past 11 months the medial side (mainly during the nite as the medial side of the knee touches the bed or the opposite knee) experiences great pain.  Prior to the surgery there was zero discomfort with the medial knee. This summer I has a cortisone shot, but the pain is back. I am not in great pain skiing this week or walking, only at nite.
It appears that the pain is at the small incision or entry point. Does anyone know if this nerve damage and will the pain eventually go away or any recommendations. Thanks frank

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 96
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Medial knee pain at bedtime
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 04:01:46 PM »
These small surgical portals can be quite problematic. I t may be useful for you to deep massage it to break down any scar tissue. Usually they settle eventually.
--
KNEEguru

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 07:54:50 PM »
Another thing to consider is nerve pain. You might have a compressed nerve or a neuroma that formed at or near that portal. A neuroma is caused when a nerve suffers an injury from surgery or some other trauma. The injured nerve becomes balled up and nerve endings errantly grow out in all directions like spaghetti, causing pain. The best way to deal with a neuroma is to resect it.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline FrankGiacobbe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »
Thanks so much for the recommendations.  I plan to attempt deep massage around the portal area with the hope to avoid re-section of the medial meniscus. I am hopeful the second MRI will reveal weather the portal (area of pain) has developed a neuroma, or scar buildup or atear resulting from the surgery. Can you advise how long I should continue to take the pain (11 months now) and what is the recommended next step?  When the pain begins in the middle of sleep its sometime so severe, I feel the need to clam down on a stick or pencil until the pain passes.  Most often I can walk it off after a few minutes..

support