Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL Revision Reconstruction with Meniscus Repair and Micro-fracture  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Absta

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi All,
I’m 18-year-old female and I have had a troublesome right knee due to my heavy involvement in sport. Almost two months ago I came down heavily on my right knee playing futsal resulting in another torn acl and medial meniscus bucket handle tear. After being on crutches for a month (couldn’t weight bear as to not ‘squash’ the meniscus) I could finally have surgery.
Almost a month ago I had revision acl surgery – using left hamstring graft (the previous one was in 2009 using right hamstring graft – I tore it yet again playing indoor soccer) - as well as medial meniscus repair and a micro-fracture on the femur cartilage (didn’t know this until two weeks after surgery).
Since then, although typical for a microfracture not to weight bear for eight weeks, my surgeon recommended that at the two week mark I start by walking with 25% body weight and then increase by another 25% every two weeks. Other than basic 'muscle clenching' I have not yet started PT.
Does anyone know how this early weight bearing will affect the super clot that has replaced my cartilage?
It’s fair enough to say after hearing of the extent of the injury, I was devastated. Having already had an acl reconstruction I knew the rehab time and that there was light as the end of the tunnel. But this new injury has really got me worried that I wont be able to do the sport (tennis), exercise (runs) or activities (skiing) that I want to do at my age. I fear that this damage will lead to early arthritis and maybe even a knee replacement!!!!!
To anyone that has any knowledge on this subject I just would like to ask the prognosis in the near and distant future for this knee injury? I have concluded that I don’t think I can play soccer or futsal (maybe even tennis and other similar sports) due to the high impact and frankly, I don’t think it’s worth the risk of injuring my knee yet again.  How will the micro-fracture and meniscus repair affect the acl rehab and my activity levels overall?

Sorry for all the questions but since I am only 18 I also think about the materialistic things (like, will I ever be able to wear heels again?) I know a bit narcissistic but any information would be helpful ☺

Thank-you, Abbie
06 - tore r acl (soccer)
03/09 - acl reconstruction (r hamstring autograft)
05/12 - r knee gaveway (presumed acl stretch)
10/12 - torn r acl, medial meniscus bucket handle tear, cartilidge tear (indoor soccer)
11/12 - r acl revision surgery, meniscus repair and micro-fracture (l h-string autograft)

Offline tpase

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: ACL Revision Reconstruction with Meniscus Repair and Micro-fracture
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 03:57:17 AM »
Hi, Abbie!
Most important answer first: Yes you will be able to wear heels. Don't worry.

Two, your concerns about osteoarthiritis are well-founded. But I have now met two women who are incredibly active, and are Feldenkrais practioners who have resumed complete functionality of their torn knees through Feldenkrais.  One of these ladies apparently has incurred a lot of osteoarthiritis in the knees due to repeat injuries over the years, but if you saw her you would never know. She is absolutely balanced and well-functioning. Her MRI reports show nice space between the tibia and femur within the joint. Apparently if you are well conditioned and take good care of yourself you can prevent OA in the knees, and even maintain good space between your bones within the knee capsule.

Unfortunately for us athletes and active folk, we have already signed up to have injury related OA in later life. However, I think with diligent care and proper exercise, we can keep our bodies healthy.
I plan on keeping up with low impact conditioning exercises to keep my legs healthy until I die. I feel sad at the prospect of possibly not being able to run as much...but I want to be that 60-70 year old whose knee joints are beautifully bathed in synovial fluid and all kinds of wonderful nutrients! or at least that is a dream i am committed to working towards.

hth

Offline Adobec

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 04:38:02 AM »
Did your doc say what part of the femur your microfracture is on?  The other injuries (ac, meniscus repair) shouldn't slow you donor prohibit you from doing the things you love.  The microfracture might....
1991 - R ACL patellar tendon, med. meniscus removed (50%)
2002 - R ACL revision, cadaver, lat. meniscus removed (50%)
2011 - L ACL patellar tendon, med. and lat. meniscus REPAIR. 
3/2012 - L Medial meniscectomy (didn't heal from 2011), microfracture
11/6/12  - L TTT (maquet). Micro fully healed

Offline Absta

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 05:23:51 AM »
Thankyou both tpase and Adobec for your reply. Any information at this stage is helpful :)

Adobec, I presume the cartilage tear (which was quite small - I think only 3mm in length) was on the articular area of the cartilage as it was this area of my knee that bore all the impact. Thankyou for the advice... hopefully it won't slow me down too much.

tpase, I very glad to hear that I'll be able to wear heels again! Especially since I'm not the tallest person. My surgeon assured me the best way to prevent OA for as long as possible was to maintain a healthy weight... which I guess is more difficult we you're limited in your activity levels. Just wondering if you take an vitamins or oils that help your joints (my surgeon did say that there is no evidence that these worked) ? But I would just like to know another opinion. Also, does this mean no more 4-5km runs around the block? I'm guessing both water and snow skiing is a risky activity aswell? Thanks again, it's great to have some advice.
06 - tore r acl (soccer)
03/09 - acl reconstruction (r hamstring autograft)
05/12 - r knee gaveway (presumed acl stretch)
10/12 - torn r acl, medial meniscus bucket handle tear, cartilidge tear (indoor soccer)
11/12 - r acl revision surgery, meniscus repair and micro-fracture (l h-string autograft)

Offline tpase

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 12:16:50 AM »
apparently fish oils are very good for the joints. turmeric is great for reducing inflammation (and inflammatory processes such as OA). and, of course, strengthening the muscles around the joint will keep things in good working condition.

as for evidential information (re: your doc)....it is simple, large scale studies have not been conducted to see if these things work. what we do have is anecdotal information. and that is good enough to warrant a try.

heaven help us! :))

support