Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: My MPFL Reconstruction (12/31/2012)  (Read 20116 times)

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: My MPFL Reconstruction (12/31/2012)
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2013, 02:35:53 AM »
7 Weeks Post-Op

I thought I would provide a brief update since I saw my knee surgeon this morning. My doctor was generally impressed with the progress I have made in the past several weeks. Even though the range of motion is about 20 degrees behind where it should be, it is not too much of a concern because my knee has consistently been gaining 10 degrees each week for the past two weeks and is no longer stuck like it was several weeks ago.
Once my knee gets 10 more degrees, I can do the stationary bike and do more aerobic exercise (swimming, stationary bike, light exercise).

My kneecap is stable (yay!), I am not wearing the brace anymore, and I should be able to regain the same amount of flexibility and motion in my non-surgical leg. I am focusing on regaining core strength, strength in my quads, and regaining balance.

Thanks for reading!

Emily

Offline andomichelle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2013, 04:00:38 AM »
Well my surgery went well, but it hurts...and I decided to create me own post-op diary because yours were so helpful in knowing what to expect!

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2013, 03:58:29 AM »
Thanks! It honestly was helpful getting my feelings out in a post op diary, especially on the days that were not the greatest, but also on the days where I had small victories. I am glad that the posts helped, even though everyone's experience is different since all doctors have a different protocol.

Today, PT was pretty exciting. I was doing more core strengthening and have been able to bend my knee more during my stride when I walk. Unfortunately, I had a mild setback last night. I was coming back from the airport since I had flown to and from school in order to see my knee surgeon. I was on a train about a half hour away from school and the train jerked and someone's suitcase landed on top of the side of my knee where most of the ligament work was done. Needless to say, by the time I got back to school, my knee was more swollen and tonight I still feel the residual pain. It didn't do any damage, but has prevented me from starting light aerobic activity this weekend, which I was looking forward to.

My goal between now and next time at PT is to get my knee to 90 degrees so I can do the stationary bike and get a full rotation. For the next time I see my orthopedic surgeon, I am hoping to be at around 110 degrees of motion.

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2013, 03:05:42 AM »
Almost 9 weeks post op

On Monday, it will have been nine weeks since my knee surgery. Starting this past week, I have been able to do light aerobic exercise. I have been alternating between doing leg press, seated leg curl, hip flexor, and other standing exercises with the elliptical. I generally have not had pain which is really exciting and even though I know I still have a while until my knee is back to normal, it feels o good to be doing exercise and not having my knee dislocate.

I am still doing PT twice a week and I will see my knee surgeon n another two weeks. I am still working on getting the swelling and bruising down and I still don't have a lot of sensation around the knee and incision.

Thanks for reading and. Will update if there are any other major strides!

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2013, 02:59:02 AM »
10 Weeks Post Op

At PT on Friday, my knee bent to 96 degrees, which means I only have about 34 degrees left to get back along with working on strengthening and balance.

My knee has not been feeling too bad apart from some soreness in the area most of the work was done. I still have bruising and some swelling, but the scar from the incision is fading and has healed very nicely with little scar tissue around it.

I had some delayed flights coming home, essentially causing my one hour flight to turn into 4 hours of sitting on an airplane or speed walking through the airport to not miss my flight. Combined with a day trip of sitting in the car and a lot of walking around, my knee was feeling some pain and fatigue earlier.

Otherwise, all seems to be well and I hope my surgeon is impressed in a few days with the progress!

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2013, 02:28:23 AM »
11 weeks post op

Today marks eleven weeks since surgery and I am finally feeling back to normal. I saw my knee surgeon this past week and he was impressed with the progress in ROM, decreased swelling and bruising, and increased strength. I essentially have no limitations with activity as long as I can tolerate it. This past week, I swam one day, swam and did the stationary bike another, and biked and did the elliptical another day. Today, I biked 10 miles in 50 minutes on the stationary bike and really don't have any pain.

I am hoping to keep this momentum and by the time I see my surgeon again in 6 weeks, finally have a fully functional and normal non-dislocating knee again!

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2013, 01:52:10 AM »
Today marks 3 weeks since my MPFL reconstruction! I am in awe of where my knee is now and what I have been able to do. To step bsck a second, the week after this surgery was painful and walking down steps was impossible, almost as difficult as the walk from the couch to my bedroom. In the weeks after the initial recovery period, I wandered why I had put myself through this surgery and recovery when all I had gotten in return was pain, exhaustion at the end of the day, a scar on my knee, and when all I seemed to have at PT was setbacks rather than progress.

Today, I am amazed to say that I was able to bike 40 miles this past week (4 days of riding 10 miles each) and I swam a mile in just over an hour. Today, I biked 10.16 miles in just under 50 minutes and while biking I did not have pain and did not have pain for the remainder of the day.

My knee is not 100%. I still need about 30 more degrees of motion and I need to keep working on the strength. However, I am grateful of all that I can do and want people to know who are in the early phases of recovery that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that hard work in PT really does pay off.

Thanks for reading!

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2013, 08:32:54 PM »
Tomorrow will mark 14 weeks after knee surgery (the previous entry was 3 months, not weeks, so that explains any confusion from the time typo). I cannot be happier with how my knee is doing. I am still doing PT twice a week and then will probably stop two weeks from now since I am traveling this summer and will just be finishing the last leg of the rehab on my own.

In terms of what I am able to do, I can finally go up and down stairs pretty normally and I have biked 100+ miles since the middle of March, even biking as much as twenty miles at a time.

After having knee problems since March of 2009, I am so grateful to finally (and hopefully) be in the home stretch of knee issues. The recovery for this surgery is not a walk in the park, but I am finally at the point where the pain, the frustrations, and the setbacks have finally gotten me to a recovered and dislocation free knee!

Thanks for reading!

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2013, 07:04:58 PM »
As of this past Wednesday, my knee was bending to 125 degrees! Tomorrow marks 15 weeks post-op, so this is really exciting!

I had seen my knee surgeon in the middle of March and he was looking for my knee to be at around 120 degrees by the time that I see him again in May. The fact that I have already surpassed that goal about one month early is such a wonderful surprise!

I am still trying to ride the bike as much as I can (although I have been really busy with school and haven't had that much time to be working out outside of PT this past week). Most importantly, in almost 4 months, my kneecap has not dislocated, which is completely life-changing since I no longer have to say no to working out in fear that my knee will give out and pop out of place!

Thanks for reading!

Offline Mistyd

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2013, 04:27:56 PM »
So glad you are doing well Emzobe!!  Congrats on your rehab!  Keep up the excellent work!

God Bless,

Misty
Living for the Audience of ONE: Jesus Christ

'95 -knee injury
5-'04 -knee scope cleaned up grade III tears
12-'12-knee scope cleaned up tears
2-'13-harvested cartilage for upcoming ACI
...awaiting ACI

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2013, 04:42:34 AM »
Sorry I have not had the chance to update sooner! I have been incredibly busy with finishing up my semester and finishing up PT!

As of this past Friday (April 26th), I am done going to traditional physical therapy! I am really excited! I have been doing physical therapy twice a week since the middle of January and then went down to PT just once a week at the end of March. It has consumed a lot of my time over the past several months. My knee is bending to 130 degrees, so I am definitely in the home stretch for recovery. I obviously still need to continue doing strengthening and exercising, but I have not had any problems with my knee dislocating or almost dislocating, so for the first time in four years, I want to say that I am in the clear for patella instability issues!

Thank you so much for anyone who has read my post-op diary or offered any kind of support along the way. Although I had serious doubts about my decision to have the surgery during the worst parts of the recovery, I can say that for me, it was the right decision and I will hopefully continue the reap the rewards for quite some time.

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2013, 06:29:38 PM »
I have not had a chance to update in quite some time, so I wanted to give a little update on my progress now that I have stopped doing physical therapy and before I see my knee surgeon again in another week and a half.

Today marks 19 weeks since I have had the surgery. I had my last PT session at the very end of April (about two and a half weeks ago). Since then, I have been making it a priority to do some type of exercise each day. I have been running (no more than one mile at a time), I swam a mile yesterday, and on days that I can't run or can't get to the gym, I have been trying to do moderate intensity strengthening (squats and PT type exercises).

Essentially,  I have not had any pain like I had before surgery. Occasionally, I have somewhat of a strange feeling below my knee. The area has been numb since after the surgery and the feeling is starting to come back. So, it is partly numb and then there is part sensation, but no pain and I don't think it is anything to worry about too much. There is occasional soreness if I have over-exerted myself exercising, but I have gotten better at gauging when I need to stop and when I can keep challenging my knee.

I will see the doctor for my knee in another week and a half and I will make sure to provide an update after. My knee has essentially regained full range of motion (it was a little over 130 degrees that last day that I had PT) and it has not felt like it is going to dislocate since before I had knee surgery.

Thanks for reading!

Offline emzobe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2013, 05:43:44 PM »
I have not updated in almost two months, but I wanted to share what I view as a successful recovery from MPFL reconstruction.

At the end of May, I saw my OS and he was impressed with the progress I had made on my range of motion. I still have another follow up appointment at the beginning of August to check the strength of my leg and muscles around my knee, but I am confident that my knee will be where it needs to be by then.

Most importantly, my knee has not dislocated since before surgery and the beginning of July marked 6 months post op. Just as important as my knee not dislocating, I have been able to tolerate a 15 hour flight with only minimal soreness afterwards, have done some hiking and mountain climbing, and have not really given my knee a rest this entire summer thus far since I have been traveling and really active.

After the surgery, I did not know if I had made the right decision with the amount of pain I was in because of the surgery and based on how limited I was in activities and being able to perform daily tasks. Six months later, I am happy to report that the surgery was a good decision and I am forever grateful to my OS for putting me on a path to getting back to an active and dislocation-free lifestyle.

Offline Aubie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2013, 08:28:01 PM »
Hi Emily - not sure you'll even see this since you probably aren't checking the forums much anymore!  I just wanted to say that I was so glad to see the progression of your recovery and that you've gotten back full ROM and are functioning so well!  I am at almost 8 weeks post-op (MPFLr with allograft), and am having a pity party lately!  While I know that most of my recovery is going reasonably well, at the same time, I just want things to progress more quickly!  I'm currently at about 110 degrees of flexion, but it's becoming difficult to get more than that.  I've been walking without a crutch for about 3 weeks and no brace for 2 weeks, but I do have a limp and am VERY slow!  My quads have a great deal of quad atrophy due to my patella dislocating in April, but not finding out about the MPFL tear and having surgery until August (after getting a second opinion from another surgeon).  On a positive note, I haven't had too much pain - did not take pain meds at all except the day after surgery!  Maybe I just have a fairly high pain tolerance, but I felt that the Percocet simply made me feel worse, rather than helping, so I took it for a day after the femoral nerve block wore off, then stopped.  The worse part was being unable to get comfortable enough to sleep at night for at least 4 weeks!  I still don't sleep well.  I now have pain mostly with flexion, but other than that, just more of an aching pain.  Anyway, I've been lurking around the boards for a while without posting, and it's been very helpful to see that it is possible to fully recover, even if the progress is slower than I'd like!   :)

Offline Aubie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2013, 01:36:16 AM »
Thanks so much for your message Emily. I can't reply directly, as I still haven't posted enough.  :(  I thought it was ironic that you mentioned being patient, since my OS said exactly the same thing at my most recent appointment.  It's so difficult to be patient though after dealing with knee issues for what feels like forever (actually just about 6-7 months)!  I'm still making small gains at 9 weeks post-op, but it just doesn't seem to translate into increased function, so that is very frustrating.  But anyway, thanks again - it really helps to hear from others who have been through the same thing and know that there's light at the end of the tunnel!  :)