Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PCL/MRI Result  (Read 870 times)

Offline Billb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PCL/MRI Result
« on: December 21, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »
Newbie here and to be the honest the more I read the more concerned I get.  Any help/advice is appreciated. 

3 months ago went high end of my bike into the side of a car.  ribs, liver chin and knee all messed up.  Only the knee is still hurting.  GP said to wait full 6 weeks before going to ortho just to see if it would heal.  Ortho scheduled MRI and the results are back.  Ortho doc says it is a grade 2 tear and only thing to do is to stregthen quad.  Well I have many questions and even more once I got home and read the MRI report. 
1) will my knee ever stop hurting when I bend it past 45% (Kneeling or crouching)
2) extreme pain still when I stomp my foot, will that go away as well. 
3) The big question is that the mri result says:
             "High-grade if not complete full-thickness tear of the proximal and mid PCL.  Intact ACL and collateral ligaments."

From what I am reading that is a Grade 3 tear and a lot worse than a grade 2.  Then there is the fear of premature arthritus setting in if no surgery is done.   I've retyped the whole MRI results and can post them if someone out there could help translate.

Many Thanks
Billb

Offline GIMPocalypse

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: PCL/MRI Result
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 07:04:48 AM »
Billb,

Welcome!  So glad to find another PCL'er on here...while simultaneously feeling bad that you're in this situation.

My injury was 15 weeks ago...went to the hospital as soon as the injury happened (head first sliding into third base in a softball game--but somehow landed leg knee down first)

I ended up in full immobilization for about 6 days, saw two OS before I finally was sent to PT being told essentially that nothing was wrong.
7 Weeks into PT I had my check-up at the OS and the PA there saw me and immediately sent me for an MRI.  My MRI indicated a midsection PCL tear (OS said Grade II), partial patellar tendon tear, partial quad tendon tear, chondromalacia and possible lateral meniscus tear.  Upon the OS reading the MRI I was removed from PT and put in a very expensive custom knee brace. 

All progress I gained during PT has now gone and it is all I can do to simply walk around.  When I was initially injured I was in top shape, in personal training and involved in long distance running and multiple sports leagues.  My quad was most certainly strong but it is deteriorating quite rapidly now.  So DEFINITELY do your best to strengthen the quad!! I highly recommend PT if your OS will send you and if insurance helps you pay, definitely worth it.

I'll do my best to answer what I can about your questions:
1) 15 weeks into my injury and I can not kneel or crouch.  :/  When I was in PT I was at 101* in terms of bending...now I'm probably around 80. 
2) I haven't tried stomping my foot ;) but I do at times have pain on the lateral side and behind my knee when my heel strikes the ground.  This week I went to an amusement park with a friend and actually was able to successfully walk around the park for about 8 hours. (The next day was horrible though!)
3) I may be wrong here but my understanding has been this: Grade I: Few fibers torn. Grade II: Many/Most fibers torn Grade III: Full Tear. 

So your OS is probably doing some "in house" testing on your knee and feeling that "give" that the PCL provides, which indicates to him that your PCL is still at least somewhat intact.  I may be TOTALLY off here...so someone please correct me if I am wrong. 
*There aren't many PCL people out here, so I may be wrong.

What I have been told by numerous people however, is that a full tear of the PCL is almost preferred to a partial.  Don't really know if that is accurate or not...but I can agree that a partial PCL tear sucks beyond what I would have ever imagined. 

I wish you all the best and I will keep you up-to-date on the progress that I have.
The second week of January I FINALLY have another appointment so I can go and whine and complain about how the lack of progress and regression is ridiculous--fortunately I will be with the PA that saw me and freaked out about my lack of progress a month and a half ago and finally ordered an MRI--so here's hoping he comes up with another brilliant plan to make something happen!!!! :(

Best of luck! 
Try to have hope--I know that is like the hardest part. :/ 
I'm always the happiest person in the world and live a stress free life...ever since this issue I feel like I am slowly driving myself crazy!
Injured 9/12/12
Ortho 1: Partial ACL Tear
Ortho 2: Possible Lat Meniscus Tear
7 weeks of PT, finally an MRI
MRI Report: Partial PCL tear, partial quad tendon tear, partial patellar tendon tear, chondromalacia, patellar tendinosis
Currently: Wearing a DonJoy Custom Defiance and "waiting"

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
Re: PCL/MRI Result
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 04:54:04 AM »
Bilb,

I would only state that you must feel comfortable with your doctor and what he/she tells you.  MRI's are not the last word and there are excellent surgeons out there depending on where you are.  In my opinion, you need to gain as much information as possible about your situation and what the recommendations are . 

I received opinions and recommendations from multiple surgeons...they all said the same thing and all were wrong.  A very important consideration is the chances that any surgery will make you better than you were prior to the surgery.  Mine did not, but again I am in the small percentage of those who had complications after a major surgery.

There are great pieces of information on procedures and complications available here.  You must make 20 posts either on a forum site or thru the games section to send private messages to a KG poster.  You can get specific information and a person like myself can send you all the horrible things that I went thru without others complaining about the length of my posts.

So....if you have any questions, make sure you ask them.   The only dumb question is the one you don't ask and if I can help you with anything, please let me know.

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR