Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL graft damage? 10 days post surgery.  (Read 3271 times)

Offline jabbski

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL graft damage? 10 days post surgery.
« on: December 19, 2012, 06:47:49 PM »
Hi All,

I am currently 10 days post ACL operation. Was doing one of my exercises this morning which was to sit on a chair and rest your heal on another chair to help straighten the leg. It was difficult but over a few mins it got easier and relaxed to almost completely straight. When I tried to finish however and help take my leg of the chair, I had a little snap noise at the back/outside of the knee. It didnt really hurt, and dont believe it caused any more swelling, but shortly after the extension of my knee in this position was even easier.

All my heel slide exercises etc.  have been even easier since, and I dont feel as much of the strain on my outside of the knee anymore (or maybe weaker, but no giving way). Whilst in theory it sounds good, my gut feeling is it isn't. Could I have snapped the graft?

I still have 8 days until my first phsyio session since being discharged from hospital which is some time, and starting to get worried. I'm hoping this might be just something minor and that I can keep positive.

Thanks.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: ACL graft damage? 10 days post surgery.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:17:38 PM »
I'm not a medical professional, but based on your description I think it's unlikely that you could have damaged the graft with the action you describe. Although it's quite fragile immediately after surgery and takes time to strengthen and heal in place, it would still take a reasonable amount of force to rupture the graft or pull it away from its fixation.

I would say a more likely explanation is that you worked your way through a bit of scar tissue that was impeding movement. Definitely get it checked out, though - ACL surgery is no picnic and it's much better to be safe than sorry. If you don't want to wait eight days for the PT to check it, could you call your surgeon for a follow up appointment? Try not to worry too much, though - this really doesn't sound like something that's likely to have caused serious damage.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline jabbski

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACL graft damage? 10 days post surgery.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 11:05:51 PM »
Thanks for your response Snowy. The exercise definitely had my leg feeling stretched, and I'm just hoping when I went to help move my leg off the chair I didn't overstretch it somehow.

I've haven't had any more pain from this, but certainly any tightness I had at the back/outer side of my operated knee seems to have completely gone. It almost feels a little loose. I don't feel any resistance anymore when doing heel slide exercises either, other than the top of the shin where the graft was taken and is still stapled and plastered.

I have no idea however if maybe this is what it should feel like 11 days in. Unfortunately I've had the extreme calf pain in the last week too (not DVT) which has only just started to improve, and I haven't been focussing on what the inside of my knee felt like as much as tried.

Cheers.

support