Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Glucosamine/Chondroiton drinks  (Read 1067 times)

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Glucosamine/Chondroiton drinks
« on: December 18, 2012, 07:12:45 PM »
Does anybody consume these drinks (ex. Joint Juice, Elations) regularly? Since my microfracture surgery 4 years ago i have tried to make it a point to add extra glucosamine/chondroiton to my diet. I initially started with Osteo-biflex pills but switched to the drinks when i found out about them. The biggest problem i have is that when i go through long stretches of my knee feeling good i forget about the injury and inevitably get out of the routine. I can't say for sure whether they are providing any benefit (and i think the whole glucosamine/chondroiton argument is up in the air anyway), just wondering if anybody else is using them and their thoughts. Thanks.
12/99 left knee lateral release and plica removal
1/09 right knee chondroplasty and microfracture LFC

Offline Flyinglion

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Glucosamine/Chondroiton drinks
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 07:42:36 PM »
I have been taking 2000 mg of glucosamine supplements for over a year now and I think it is helping but that is just my personal, non-scientific opionion. My doc says it won't hurt but no hard evidence to prove they help.  I am thinking about moving over to liquid drinks but they are quite a bit more expensive then the tablets. I am trying to figure out if it is worth it.

But I have heard in glucosamine in luquid form is easier for the body to digest and integrate into cartlidge.

Thoughts?

When you take the liquid form are you noticing improvement? 
February 2011 - Injured right knee playing indoor soccer
April 2011 - MRI showed patella & trochlea grade 4 kissing defects
June 2011 - Right Knee Scope/ACI Biopsy
November 2011 - Synvisc Injections
May 31, 2012  - Denovo NT Patella & Trochela, Lateral Release/TTO/MPFL Reconstruction

Offline muscle20

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:09:54 PM »
my physio was involved on the revue panel for one of the original studies. he takes it regular and told me one of the main things that came out was that it should be taken in divided doses of 500mg 4 times a day with food. dont waist time with expensive megadose capsules. how would this work with the drinks. could you divide them up.

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:14:06 PM »
I have the glucosamine/chondroitin pills at home, but find packing them to work and back is a huge pain, plus they are huge to take and you have to take them three times a day.  I have never heard of the drinks before but think they would be much easier to take.

Offline muscle20

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 10:20:57 PM »
the 500 mg ones are fairly easy to swallow and its so easy to either buy 2 pots( 1 work and 1 home) or divide into 2. a classic example of why it doesnt seem to work so well for all because of inconsistency maybe

Offline DG3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: drinks
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 03:20:57 AM »
I'm curious too. I was just at Costco looking at the various Glucosamine/Chondroiton varieties. They had a liquid version (Wellesse) at $18 for a months supply. Seems like a better option than those horse pill tablets, but I don't know anyone who takes the liquid.

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 05:27:04 AM »
DG3,

The Sam's Club hereabouts has it in liquid form....I take that as I have trouble swallowing.......bit my tongue after a spinal fusion when they tested my nerves with electricity.....bad deal.

Anyway..I digress (Sorry Storm Troopers).  The liquid form is more expensive, but I don't end up flushing the pills down the drain with the remainder of my hot wings if you get my meaning!!

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR