Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Post Acl and meniscus surgery  (Read 16555 times)

Offline rnm37

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
Post Acl and meniscus surgery
« on: December 11, 2012, 05:02:51 PM »
First time posting, sorry if I have missed a similar thread...

So it's now 6 days since I underwent ACL reconstruction (hamstring autograft) and a meniscus "trimming". Recovery is going well so far, have full knee extension and about 115 degrees of flexion back, and have started shuffling short distances without crutches.
Just a couple of questions as my first PT session isn't for a while yet

1) The top of my calf and most of my shin is very bruised and painful, is this normal?
2) Is there anything i can do for my hamstring, which remains very tight and sore around the graft area?

Also if anyone who has been through this process before has any tips or advice theb that would be much appreciated

Cheers!
June 2012 - ACL rupture and lateral meniscus tear

December 2012 - ACL recon (hamstring autograft) and meniscus trim

October 2013 - Retore ACL and tore medial meniscus :(!

January 2014 - Revision ACL recon (hamstring)

Offline latinosteve

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Post Acl and meniscus surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 12:48:56 PM »
Hi mate

Im 5 weeks post ACL, and had patella from the knee rather than the hamstring. You seem to recovery remarkably fast which is fantastic but genuinely take it easy. The minimum you should be using crutches is 2 weeks so dont push ureself too far. Obviously cant help with the hamstring issues but the pain your experiencing in your shin/calf I suffered for the first 10 days with it. It wasnt agony but particular when i weight bared this pain would shoot down the shin. I read somewhere that days after the operation there is some fluid/blood which can flow down your shin and calf feeling uncomfortable. It felt strange but after 7 - 10 days the pain is no more. You experience new pains often and sometimes quite alarming but its all natural.For example after 3/4 weeks the swelling starts to go down rapidly and then you feel more pain because not protected etc.

Steve

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 01:19:56 PM »
To answer your questions:

1. the bruising is normal - your knee has just undergone a huge trauma. The bruising is a result of the operation and will gradually fade away if you use your RICE procedures correctly.

2. the hamstring has also been "attacked" (for want of a better word) and needs to be cared for as well if you want to avoid a tear. Ice should also be applied to this section as well to aid the healing and reduce the swelling.

The most important thing to do is not to push to hard too soon just because you feel you can. You must follow your surgeon's preferred post-op protocol and be guided by your physios. This is a serious trauma and it takes time to recover the full use of your knee, especially if you are dependent on state provision like the NHS in the UK.

The first things to concentrate on are getting the swelling down to zero and gaining AND maintaining FULL EXTENSION. This is important as you cannot walk without a limp if you do not have full extension. Flex is secondary in the early rehab stages and tends to actually come naturally as you progress through the various post operative stages.

If you have not already found it, this is an excellent resource to help you gauge realistically if you are doing things correctly:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/775 The proviso with all of this though is that if you have a post-op protocol from your surgeon you must stick to it.

Recovering from this surgery is a marathon not a sprint and it is definitely not a competition to see who can get back to sport fastest or who has the best ROM in xyz days after surgery. If you go down that path, you are more or less doomed to repeat your injury sad to say.

Good luck and remember lots of little steps (milestones) make the journey seem to pass more quickly than one big unrealistic one!

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline rnm37

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:53:20 PM »
Thanks to both for your replies, very helpful! Unfortunately I am the type of person who pushes themself quite hard so looks like I will need to be patient. Thanks again!

Ross

Offline Ramirez10

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 12:59:34 AM »
It seems like your doing great and a fast recovery, mine is similar as your but I can't bent my knee to 60 degrees,  yet it feels like my knee is stiff. Any help on how you started so good ?? I also have this t-scope brace , it's really annoying but the dr said I have to wear it for about a month or longer.

Offline NIGAV

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
my rehab protocol for my hamstring after my ACLr  was rest it completely for 2 weeks then after that started very gentle exercises.  simply standing on good leg and lift foot up to the knee was 90 degrees.  3 sets of 5 to 10 every day.  You dont want a hamstring pull as it can happen easily. i was sitting on the floor and reached foward to pull a sock on and almost strained my hamstring. :o   It is that easy to do. 
full ACL tear 19/06/2010 motocross incident
MRI scan 20/03/2011
onto waiting list 19/04/2011
surgery 11/01/2012

Offline rnm37

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 11:22:18 AM »
@Ramirez10

I may not be recovering any quicker than you are; I have extremely hypermobile joints (my good knee extends about -10 degrees forwards, quite freaky really) which the physio thinks has helped me regain decent ROM quite quickly. I haven't had any kind of brace on my knee though? Don't think I would enjoy that :(!
Also don't know about your situation but I was in pretty decent shape going into surgery - had been using the bike and weights in the gym while injured for about 5 months beforehand, not sure if that helps the recovery that much.

Offline rnm37

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 03:52:29 PM »
Update:

Turns out I am a quick healer, my physio has told me she wants to accelerate my rehab slightly and include a bit more strengthening etc over the next few weeks. My knee feels good (relatively speaking) and I trust her, however I am also slightly worried as I have read that hamstring grafts are more delicate and easily damaged immediately post-operation than the patella graft so don't want to push it too hard. Does anyone have any experience of what to do at this stage in recovery?

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 06:53:58 AM »
There are certain basic strengthening exercises that shouldn't cause problems (the key thing in early rehab is to avoid lateral movements) but if in doubt, check in with your surgeon. Your OS is ultimately the one who calls the shots when it comes to rehab. My physiotherapist was quick to adapt parts of the program to reflect my progress, and I did get to do some things much earlier than the hamstring rehab protocol generally recommends, but always within the overall parameters set by my surgeon. The key thing is to make sure that you're not doing anything that would put either the graft itself or the fixation under undue stress; if you're not completely sure about a particular recommendation, run it by your surgeon first.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

support