Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Distal femoral osteotomy in one week's time! Gulp!  (Read 4204 times)

Offline MrsT2B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Distal femoral osteotomy in one week's time! Gulp!
« on: December 10, 2012, 05:09:48 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm having a DFO on Monday 17th December & I'm getting pretty nervous now! I've read a lot of the stuff on here so I feel a little bit more prepared (even though there are fewer threads about DFOs than about HTOs), but a lot of those operations were a few years ago & I haven't yet found anyone who had this op & wasn't put in a cast or a brace afterwards. Quite nervous about that element - are there any of you out there who have had it this way?

Any responses (or quite frankly, reassurances!) will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance  :)

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Distal femoral osteotomy in one week's time! Gulp!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 05:28:51 PM »
I haven't had a DFO but it is one of the possibles for my knee in the future and I read a little about it at the time. There are a few diaries on here but also the osteotomy section is very good, written by Adrian Wilson in the Uk. His practice website is also very informative. Www. Hampshireknee.co.uk or similar . Are you in the UK? If so where is your op bring done?
All the very best for the surgery. Let us know how it goes  :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline MrsT2B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 08:04:42 PM »
Hi Vickster,

Firstly, thanks for the reply!  :)

I am in the UK, I live near Canterbury, Kent. My surgery will be at University College Hospital London so not too far to go but I'll still have to get the first train of the day to get there in time for the surgery - not that I really expect to be able to sleep the night before! I have read a fair few of the diaries on here and I've read through all of Adrian Wilson's notes on the procedure but I haven't looked at his website so I'll definitely give that a look thanks!  :)

Just feeling a bit stressed out at the moment as I'm also in the middle of moving my elderly grandparents, which has involved getting the place they're moving to completely renovated in time for them to move before Christmas - not exactly smooth sailing! Plus they're actually moving on the 20th, after my surgery, so even though I'm busy with all the house stuff I'm still feeling like I'm going to be a bit useless!

So are you considering a DFO then?

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 08:55:07 PM »
Hi there
DFO was given to me as an option when I found out 2 years ago that I couldn't have a cartilage repair due to kissing defects on lateral femur and tibia and knock kneedness.  I amalso missing a bit of lateral meniscus now.

That was one surgeon, the other OS whom I initially saw (before I had to be referred due to an recalcitrant private insurance company for the repair that never happened  ::))  doesn't think I need an osteotomy (as the valgus is mild) and that if my new insurers would play ball, he would do a different type of repair which is his preferred option.

My knee is pretty much ok at the moment (I had some hyaluronic acid jabs in May / June which settled things down), and I am ignoring the discomfort I do have.  Having recently had ellbow surgery, I cannot do anything with my knee anything until that is all better as there is no way I could use crutches!
I shall continue to ignore my knee whilst I can still walk, cycle (ok I am not allowed at the moment due to the elbow), and work.

DFO and indeed cartilage repairs are major surgeries which to be honest scare the bejeesus out of me, hence for the foreseeable I will be avoiding all knee surgeons :)  I would probably need to take a work sabbatical due to the length of time off and recovery which isn't really practical either.

Good luck for your op :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline simondelalto

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 09:19:26 AM »
Hello.. I would like to know how it went. Pls email me: [email protected]