Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: To anyone due to have ACL reconstruction  (Read 1009 times)

Offline jkirk888

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
To anyone due to have ACL reconstruction
« on: December 04, 2012, 06:21:06 PM »
I tore my ACL 2 and a half years ago and also damaged my meniscus. To cut a long story short it took my 1 year from injury date to full diagnosis (NHS for you)

Surgery was recommended as the solution. At the time I was nearing the end of a temporary work contract and there was no way I could jeopardise that by going off for surgery, as a year had passed I was able to walk again, but was left with the sensation my knee would give way if I asked too much of it. Also, in truth the thought of surgery scared me alot as I had never had an operation before.
I informed the NHS consultant that I would delay surgery until a more appropriate time purely for personal reasons. This was accepted.

Fast forward to August this year. My employment status was more secure, my general happiness at being held back by my knee was starting to grate. No longer could I play football, something I was previously doing twice a week, I could not run or jog, and was restricted with what I could do in the gym.

I decided to pay to see a private surgeon for a consultation, and then proceed on the NHS. He booked me in for surgery and as the date got closer I began feeling very uneasy.

Yesterday was the big day, and I just wanted to say for anyone else facing up to having ACL recon that it is really not as bad as you might think. I literally went through to the anaesthesia room, popped a needle in my hand, told me to pick out a nice dream and it was done. I immediately woke up in recover with no pain, just numbness.

Yes I am now unable to walk now unaided, and the pain is increasing, but I am just so glad that its out the way and my recovery can commence.

Also, I read that Holger Badstuber from Bayern Munich has his ACL recon surgery last night so I can compare my progress with his, although I doubt he had a hamstring graft like me.

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:39:05 PM by jkirk888 »

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Re: To anyone due to have ACL reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 06:32:54 PM »
Thanks for this encouraging message! I was pretty daunted prior to my ACLr (I'd never had surgery before) and there were certainly times during recovery that were not fun at all, but in the end if you take one day at a time it's all very manageable. Best of luck for your recovery - I hope things go smoothly and well for you.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline jkirk888

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:38:07 PM »
No problem, leading up to my surgery I was looking for reassurance from people who had been through this. Hopefully I will be back to full fitness and football in a years time. This injury has held me back to much.

Offline NIGAV

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 07:16:48 PM »
Glad to hear its been a good experience so far for you.  Im 11 months out of my ACLr.  Back doing the things i enjoyed before my injury.  Running (without fear of knee giving way :) ) circuit training, triials biking to name a few.  My injury to operation path was similar to yours in that i had a delayed diagnosis of the injury due to NHS waiting times, and i too paid for private consultation then onto NHS waiting list.  I waitied  9 months from seeing the consultant to operation as i knew he was one of the best in N Ireland. 
Anyway, the hard work starts now for you.  And the more dedicated you are to doing the physio and rehab, the quicker your recovery will be.  The basic exercises you do in the 1st few weeks can seem a chore, and icing every couple hours, but for you to get swelling down and regain full extension in the next couple of weeks, these are crucial.  Dont expect big improvments in the early stages, and dont be too shocked by the way your thigh muscles wastes away .  Stick to the protocol religiously and youl be back playing football before you know it.  Good luck with the recovery
full ACL tear 19/06/2010 motocross incident
MRI scan 20/03/2011
onto waiting list 19/04/2011
surgery 11/01/2012

Offline jkirk888

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 12:01:03 PM »
Thanks for the words of advice, glad you were able to return to motor cross etc and I hope to be in your position come 11 months time.

Offline latinosteve

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 12:53:45 PM »
Great message mate, im 5 weeks POST ACL and walking unaided etc. Its so true about the emotional aspect, first few weeks are the worst. Time goes so slow and exercises feel like they get u nowhere but they are. I say this is the best part when u r walking unaided, time goes work and physio sessions come round quicker than u think. But my god, the quad muscle has shrunk so much, still cant get it fully going just yet but we r getting there. Makes you realise how much work ure quads do everyday to be that size! Nice point about the exercises, what u put in, is what u get out :)