Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: NERVOUS  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Kelly17

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
NERVOUS
« on: December 04, 2012, 12:57:21 AM »
I have soccer tournament on sat and sun and it will be my first time back playing in 4 months because I tore my quad... I'm soo nervous about going back, at practice last thurs my knee slipped out a bit and it didn't feel so great and ever since I tore my quad my knee problems have escalated... Any ideas for fast muscle growth by sat?? I think that that would help my knee. I'm just nervous about re-re-tearing my quad... I already re-tore it once. Aghhh got to stay positive. Im ready, I'm ready... I hope

History-
Microfracture on patella Nov '10 (didn't work-holding off OATS surgery for now)
Tore quad 7/12
Re-tore 8/12

Offline abbiechap

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: NERVOUS
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 09:18:09 PM »
My son is 14/competitive gymnast.  He dislocated his right knee at 12 & has a level 4 defect on his left patella around 1.5 cm.  Microfracture surgery in April.  I am just trying to connect with someone who has had similar circumstances.  Wondering how you are doing.  Did you give up sports?  Did the OATS work?  If he goes back next month & still swollen, we will do OATS.  If you have interest, can you email me [email protected]  Many, many thanks.

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 12:49:49 AM »

Even at 14 years of age, an 8 week timeline to heal from microfracture is beyond unreasonable. Both microfracture and OATS have a high failure rate due to the stress fractures induced in the bone, attributed to poor SURGICAL technique with respect to microfracture certainly.  Looks like the surgeon is actually planning on his microfracture  failing. Please look into it and challenge him with many questions. Look up nano fracture vs microfracture as a primer. 

If you can afford it, look into dr saws technique or dr broyles since they are actually publishing evidence on their treatment efficacy.  Also another item to look into is Cartiform with nano fracture.
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.

Offline Torao

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 10:27:30 PM »
My son is 14/competitive gymnast.  He dislocated his right knee at 12 & has a level 4 defect on his left patella around 1.5 cm.  Microfracture surgery in April.  I am just trying to connect with someone who has had similar circumstances.  Wondering how you are doing.  Did you give up sports?  Did the OATS work?  If he goes back next month & still swollen, we will do OATS.  If you have interest, can you email me [email protected]  Many, many thanks.

I know a gymnast who had microfracture surgery. She has more or less recovered although she still has knee problems due to structural issues. Mostly she has trouble with jumps, both on floor and beam. But I'm assuming your son is doing men's events where there are fewer jumps and no beam.

It took my friend around a year or so I think before she was fully back into things in terms of gymnastics.

support