Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Life Span of A PKR  (Read 11604 times)

Offline mcirish

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
  • Attitude=Altitude
Life Span of A PKR
« on: December 01, 2012, 06:56:17 AM »
I just consulted with a physician today to get a second opinion. He is a well-respected OS in Pasadena, CA who specializes in meniscus replacement and TKR. He actually discouraged me from getting a PKR saying that with an active person like myself, the hardware would only last 5-6 years. I was surprised by this because I had read that they can easily go 10-15 years, even with an active recipient, so long as the knee is not abused with heavy activity like running, hiking, heavy weight training. Was this doctor just completely wrong or does he know what he is talking about? I am 48 y.o. and not likely a candidate for a meniscus transplant due to the level of arthritis in my lateral compartment. I just want to make sure that if I go with a partial that it will take me into my late 50's before i have to consider a TKR. ???

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: Life Span of A PKR
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 01:37:26 AM »
Hi there,

I'm really counting on at least 15!  I think that part of the issue with the original reports of 5-6 was that they weren't being as selective in who got a PKR and also the designs weren't as good.  The latest estimates say it could be 15 or longer-depends on if the other compartment holds out, weight, and whether you decide to continue with your jogging, heavy lifting, high impact sports that will wear it out earlier.  I don't know what your level of activity is, so I guess you have to judge from there.  There are reasonable limits that need to be respected or it will loosen or wear prematurely.

Good luck in your decision making :)

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline mcirish

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Attitude=Altitude
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 07:28:12 AM »
Hi Linda,

Thank you. I think you responded to my other thread as well. Appreciate your contributions. I had dreams of playing pick up basketball again, but bottomline is, i will do whatever it takes to get the most mileage out of the PKR! I would be happy playing golf, riding a bike, swimming....maybe an occassional game of pickleball???? Maybe not. I would just love to be able to put of the TKR for 15+ years, that would be great. I have heard that they have the technology for a 30 yr. TKR now (advanced metal and plastic surfaces), so maybe this technology is available for PKR as well? Guess I will find out. Who knows what advances science will bring us in 15-20 years. i will update with any decisions. Thanks again.

Tom

Offline Caroline109

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 05:55:14 PM »
I had my PKR for 2.5 years before it was revised to a total. But it was showing signs of problems (ie arthritis pains in the compartments that had not been replaced) at 1.5 years. I had to delay the revision because I already had a TKR scheduled on the other knee and I had to recuperate from that (and deal with a scar tissue problem).
Caroline
Chronic low platelet count
Men. surgery, both knees 2003,2007,2008
R PKR Sept. 17, 2008 - Biomet Oxford Partial
LK-TKR 4/21/2010 Biomet Vanguard Signature Knee
Scar tissue issue next to TKR knee
March 2, 2011: PKR to be revised to a TKR

Offline mcirish

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Attitude=Altitude
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 12:00:36 AM »
I had my PKR for 2.5 years before it was revised to a total. But it was showing signs of problems (ie arthritis pains in the compartments that had not been replaced) at 1.5 years. I had to delay the revision because I already had a TKR scheduled on the other knee and I had to recuperate from that (and deal with a scar tissue problem).

My new OD is telling me that PKR only last 5, maybe 10 years max. Closer to 5 if the owner chooses to be highly active. I knew it sounded too good to be true. Had such high hopes....shame on me. What was I expecting from something they essentially superglue to the bone? Since I have Stage 4 OA in my lateral compartment and Stage 2 in my medial, I was turned down for a meniscus transplant. My dr. is telling me to just strengthen my leg muscles as much as possible and try to delay the TKR for another 10+ years if possible since I am only 48 y.o. Problem is the misalignment from the collapsed lateral compartment keeps the joint somewhat unstable accelerating the degenerative process......no easy choices here.

Offline Lilalu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 08:21:40 AM »
Hi all,

I know this thread is from a long time ago - but anyway.

I have a neighbour who has had a PKR in his medial compartment for 15 y. now. He told me, he will soon have to change it, but so far it worked for him. He is not highly active. Sometimes he is bycyling, but no other sports.

What I was told also is: A really good surgeon is very important for a partial replacement - especially if it is the lateral compartment. If you think of having one there, look for a surgeon, who does them regularly and has good outcome statistics.

Byebye

Offline turbostar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 11:16:08 AM »
Same here, wondering if pkr or tkr is better
Seeing as there's only a couple of grand in the price, think i might say sod it i'll have the tkr please.

Offline Mr.F

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 12:04:55 PM »
Hello mcirish,
I had bilateral PFR in 2005.  Back then my OS said he could not tell how long the PFR would last for me.  Dealing with my age and that I was very active.  He said the average PFR lasts about 10-15 years.  In 2011 and then in 2013 I had my implants revised (right and then the left).  I got 6 and 8 years out of the originals.  I am about 6 feet tall and weigh 155 pounds.  As you can see I am tall and skinny.  I did not do any sports.  I go to the gym, lift weights  and plank.  Nothing too stressful.
All I can suggest is to find out what type of replacement the OS uses and research this company.  I have a Stryker product in me.  I was happy with it.  (I was in a car accident, someone hit my car, and nothing happened to my implants).  If you decide to get PFR, or TKR, you need to be mentally ready for the recovery process.
Take care and good luck,
Mr. F

Offline Renee Puti

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 12:31:02 PM »
Hi there,

I am 35yrs old had a PKR lateral side in March, I would suggest seeing someone who has experience in dealing with Lateral damage, its only 2-3% of the people who have knee injuries or arthritis that have it on that side. I have been told it is very different from the inside of the knee, where it is more cup and saucer shape. You will know if you need one and so will an experienced surgeon. If you continue to work out, and see muscle deterioration in one leg, there's no exercise you can do after a while that will strengthen muscles around a chronically inflamed joint. I could have had this done a yr and a half ago, and I wish I had cause the last yr I just tried to hold out for as long as I could, and now I have wear in tear in  my ankles, a good surgeon will recognise when is the most beneficial time for you to have one regardless of age. I must say I now wish I had tried Osteotomy first to unload joint I was told that would give 7-10 yrs. As for Life of a PKR I have been told about 10 yrs, but maybe your surgeon knows you are generally more active than a typical patient of his. Its been a hard recovery, and the pain is on going, and I thought I knew what it was going to be like.  All the Best Renee

Offline millen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 06:09:43 PM »
Hi

I saw my surgeon yesterday for a 1-year follow-up after a Zimmer/Oxford medial PKR; this included X-rays. He still reckons I should get 10-15 years out of it before it will have to be converted to a TKR. I try to stay active (road cycling), but regard running as a huge no-no. I had experienced occasional very localised sharp pain on the medial side but he said this is tendon pain (as there's no cartilage/bone in that area) possibly intermittent rubbing slightly against the implant.

Offline dukejeffries

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 04:22:30 AM »
Almost 7 years post mako and everything is still great.  I still have a very active life including spin classes and boxing classes.  No Pain at all and full range of motion.