Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: a little worried but glad to have this site  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Tricia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
a little worried but glad to have this site
« on: January 11, 2004, 12:44:35 PM »
Well,

Hello all! I'm happy this site exist.  I had my first dislocation of left knee when I was 12.  I'm now 34. I've had numerous occurances over the years and many more different opinions from doctors who provided no since of relief...until possibly now.  In Feburary I will have a lateral release and possible medial ligament repair.  I have much laxity in both of my knees so I'm not sure how exactly I will benefit from this procedure. I guess I feel desperate to have a least SOMETHING done. My last dislocation occured when I was seven months pregnant. I was at work and like before I fell hard in excruciating pain.  I was rushed to emergency. Thank God my baby was not affected.  My beautiful daughter is 7 months old now and I wear a brace most of the time. It is not an option for my knee to dislocate while I am holding her. I will go for a second opinion on the 16th. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me? I'd appreciate it!- Thanks ;)
Chronic left knee dislocation; chrondomalacia patella; osgood-schlatter's ...Praying for stable knees

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: a little worried but glad to have this site
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 05:16:02 PM »
Hey !!

Maybe better having surgery as soon as possible instead of having when your daughter is in her walkingage. I would go for it.
Good luck with everything especially your little daughter. I myself have 2, Jonas a boy age 9 &frac12; and Michaela a girl age almost 15 (I'm 37).
Let me know how everything goes and what you decide.

hugs from nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Tricia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 12:39:40 AM »
Thanks for the reply Nettan,

My daughter has already begun to stand up on her own! I think she will be an early walker...all the more reason for surgery.  I will go for a second opinion on Friday.  I'll keep you posted...

Tricia
Chronic left knee dislocation; chrondomalacia patella; osgood-schlatter's ...Praying for stable knees

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 02:39:23 AM »
Good luck with your second opinion and the surgery if it comes to fruition.  
I had a LR back about 21.5 months ago.  Guess it's time to start saying 2 years ago...but it just doesn't feel that long ago yet. Anyhow, the surgery did give me the relief from subluxations I was needing, actually my knee cap was always subluxed everyday...every night...so it put my kneecap back in the joint where it belongs.  The recovery was pretty long..or what I consider to be pretty long, I was in physio five days a week for 8 weeks.  It's important that your quad muscles are nice and strong before you go into surgery...so you still have some left after the surgery. ;)
Sounds like a good plan to have this surgery before you're baby get's too old..but I hope you will have lot's of help with her after the surgery, as you won't be very mobile at first.
Good luck and take care, if you have any questions feel free to email me, or IM me..or of course post them here for all to read.  You can also post down on the Patella Femoral section of the board..where other people like you..and me go to post and read.
Welcome to the board and take care
HUGS
LInds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Tricia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 09:10:59 AM »
Thanks Linds

I know my quads have atrophied a bit and I'm concerned about that...you're right about preparing them b/4 I go in.

Tricia

Offline Kimby

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2004, 03:43:51 AM »
Hi Tricia - my first dislocation was age 13 playing floor hockey.  Was in ballet and on toes before age 7 (the kids have to wait until 12 or 13 now) and played soccer - you name it.  In any case, my knees have been sloppy too and it's not pleasant.  In any case, good luck with your surgery and our thoughts and prayers are with you!

Kim
1982 - R patella tendon transversal
1983 - L patella tendon transversal
2003 - R TTT and patella medial ligament   reconstruction
2004 - L TTT and PMLR

Offline KM

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2004, 04:20:54 AM »
Hi Tricia,
Best of luck with your appt with the OS...
It's so scary to have bad knees when you have little ones, huh?
I'm 32 and have 2 little boys, 2 and a half and just turned 8 months... (born May 21st, how about yours?) ;)
I had a TTT in December -  I just got off crutches this week- yahoo! and I had a lateral release when my "big boy" was 14 months old and walking and climbing over the place.
Hopefully you have family/ friends that can help? Recruit and accept any and all help... hopefully your little one will hold out on walking until you are again ;) My little guy was happy to just be near me after surgery, and my 2 year old was my big helper, and very understanding of my "owie knee" :)
Take care- hoping or the best for you- please keep us posted :) and say the word if you have more questions
It's definitely "an adventure", but it can be done!
KM
Left knee: scope '90, ACL reconstruction '98, LR'98,  TTT '99, screw removal '01
Right knee: LR '02, TTT 12-03
Baby Boys '01, '03 !