Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: looking for input about cartlige transplant and microfracture  (Read 1246 times)

Offline gman012

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
looking for input about cartlige transplant and microfracture
« on: November 05, 2012, 04:00:19 AM »
Hi all. 

About 2 months ago, or so( give or take a few weeks) I posted on here about plc reconstruction. I went in for my surgery date and got some startling news. When the surgeon checked my knee while i was under anestethic , he checked both knees and got the same result for both, when he scoped it, ( which he toldme he would do before opening me up to do the plc) he found my lateral meniscus was shredded, after being trimmed back in april. He cleaned the meniscus up, and told me after I woke up, that there isnt much of my meniscus left, and my tibial plateau was about 30 % covered in arthritis. He then ifnormed me I Would be a candidate for a meniscal transplant, and a micro fracture surgery to help cartlige grow on the tibial plateau. I guess my question is, what all am I looking forward to, as far as the procedures, recovery, pain, all the fun stuff.  Right now my knee still has instability in it, and the dr seemed kinda disappointed with himself he didn't see the problem before scoping it, but that may be just me. If you have any input, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Gary
1/12 fracture femur on lateral condyle,torn meniscus in fall on ice
4/12 lateral and medial menisectomy
10/12 debridement of lateral meniscus.

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: looking for input about cartlige transplant and microfracture
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 06:34:54 PM »
Gary, sorry for your challenges and unfortunately I sounds like you have a few more challenging days ahead.

My sig shows my knee operations.   For background I am a 49 year old very active thin female. Or at least was very active :).  In Sept 2011 is had a partial Meniscectomy and microfracture on my lateral femoral condyle. I hac 7-8 MFX's in my femur.  Typically after a MFX you are non weight bearing for 6-8 weeks.  Since you MFX in your bone, there is a lot of pain. I started PT at about 8 weeks post op. This was a painful process for many months and learning to walk again was a challenge. In my case I developed a subchondral cyst in my femur and some edema.  A typical recover period is 9-12 months.  I did not fully recover and recently had another surgery to determine what was causing my pain.

Keep in mind that everyone's experiences are different. I wish you the best of luck.
1976 Arthoscopy, damaged cartilage
2007 Lateral release of the patella
2011 Meniscectomy and microfracture (grade 4)
2012 Debridement / Chondroplasty
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline gman012

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 09:37:24 PM »
Maverick, sorry to hear about your follow up surgery while recovering from the mfx surgery. It helps me out to kind of get an idea of what I am in for. It isnt a for sure surgery, but the OS is leaning toward that. He wants to formulate a plan of attack and then set surgery, but seems like that is what he is planning on, after seeing the x rays they sent me home with, seeing how much meniscus is left on the lateral side. Do they usually keep you in the hospital after doing a microfracture procedure? Do they immobilze the leg after the surgery? I guess I am asking numerous questions but just being curious. I have an appointment to get the stithces out this week, I can always ask more when I see the OS that day. Thanks for your feedback. Hope you get back to being as active as you were before the injury.

Gary ( aka gman)

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 10:04:52 PM »
Gary, please feel free to ask as many questions as you have. I will answer what I can from my experiences.

My MFX did not require a hospital stay. It was not as day surgery and yes I has a full leg soft cast for a week. After my post-op I did not have anything other than my crutches.

Best of luck!
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline gman012

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 03:57:31 AM »
Had follow up appointment today, and found out that the dr didnt clean up the torn meniscus , he removed it. Then after surgery he told me i would need a meniscus replacemnet, and microfracture surgery. Today, he said I dont need the meniscus surgery cause it wont solve the issue, and I should be fine going back to work with no restrictions. My physical therapist was surprised that he did this today, and thinks I should wear a brace to help stabilize my knee. The surgeon told me after surgery that my knee will try to want to rock toward the side with no meniscus, which would make it feel unsteady or unstable. Should I wear a brace, or should I do what the dr says, and hope things go ok,since I haven't been able to do my regular duties at work for 11 months ?   My dr said he would leave my case open, " so if problems persist , I can call and make an appointment, without any problem". Any suggestions?

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 04:57:16 AM »
I wore an unloader brace after my microfracture until my recent surgery.  The challenge with braces is that once you start wearing them they are hard to wean off of.  If your knee feels stable and you don't have much pain, I would try to go without the brace first.  If that does not work you can always move forward with the brace.

Good luck!
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline gman012

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 11:59:54 PM »
Thanks Maverick, It is pretty painful on the medial side, especially when walking and it feels like it isconstantly has pressure on the medila side. My physical therapist said she was going to talk to the dr about looking into a brace. Guess I will see what she can work out and go from there. I dont want to be dependent on a brace, but will see how things go i guess.

support