Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: X-Ray - Chondromalacia Patellla  (Read 9052 times)

Offline Jiloz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
X-Ray - Chondromalacia Patellla
« on: November 03, 2012, 03:29:35 PM »
Hey, some years ago I was diagonosed with chondromalacia patella, and it has steadily gotten worse over the years. 

A couple of months ago, I went to have my knee x rayed again, and I have posted it below.

Could someone perhaps give me their opinion on it about how bad it is?  My doctor told me it isn't that bad, he won't do any surgery, and just to do physical therapy to help it improve.  The PT helps, but it seems like it is mostly a patch solution, and knees can get re-aggravated easily.

Thoughts?

Thank you for your time.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: X-Ray - Chondromalacia Patellla
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 04:56:44 PM »
You may get some opinions/advice on the imaging - but keep in mind the sheer majority of us are just patients too.

Best advice, is if you aren't content with your first OS's assessment, possibly look to get a second opinion. Great info and help on these boards, but it can't be replaced with a proffessional's opinion.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline Jiloz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 05:17:16 PM »
Of course I realize the doctor isn't lying, however asking for an opinion on a board is free.

I just like to get people's insights.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 05:54:46 PM »
you may get more advice, or insight if you post more detail of your experience, symptoms, etc. - I was just making the point that reading x-rays/mri's is more technical and best done by radioligists and OS's. 

Second opinions are common, was absolutely not saying your OS is lying. Sorry if that came across wrong.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline Jiloz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 06:46:58 PM »
Okay, I understand.  =)

Offline Kefu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
You cant diagnose chondromalacia patella from that view on the x ray. You have to get the merchant view. It's the view looking at the space between the patella and femor while your legs are bent. The merchant view can also show tracking and tilt issues. However MRI is a better diagnostic tool.
How's your treatment going? Did you heal yourself?

Offline Jiloz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 12:44:13 PM »
Still doing same old same old.

All the doctors say the same thing, in this order:

1) you have chondromalacia patella
2) we can't treat it
3) we aren't going to replace your knees or do any surgery on it.
4) the best you can do is physical therapy and not over do it

So yeah, the physical therapy helps a bit, but my knees still suck.  =(

I've given up hope of ever being able to run, do squats or dead lifts, or do any of the things I used to enjoy doing.  sigh.

Anyways, sorry for the depressing update, but I would rather just be honest.

Hopefully, the cartillage regeneration techniques using adult stems cells they are currently developing will bare fruit in some years.

We will see how it goes I guess.

Offline Kefu

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 07:54:23 PM »
If it is truly chondromalacia patella, is it due to patella maltracking? Why dont you have a merchant view of the x-ray? You need to get an MRI done. Also, get an ultrasound done to rule out any soft tissue damage.
Hmm.... the doctors say they can't treat it because their isn't any conventional or surgical technique that will really help, and hyaluronic acid hasn't shown significant benefits either. You have to think outside the box. PRP, prolotherapy, prolozone, stem cell injections may help. I would look into combining those treatments with physiotherapy. Look into mobilitywod.com -->very excellent website (check out their youtube videos)
Get a voodoo band and start voodoo flossing your quads, hip/groin area, calves. Keep strengthening your glute  medius.
If you really have cartilage damage and you are really determine to  regenerate it their are also other options that work. PM if interested.