Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What've I done??  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
What've I done??
« on: January 11, 2004, 12:52:06 AM »
I have been running 8km this morning, I know, must be mad, but i am desperate to loose weight (want to loose 4 so I am back @ 65kg) and I suddenly noticed this sharp stabbing pain behind my patella on the medial side. As soon as I stopped running it was gone, but ROM was painfull @ that same spot. Once I got home I had a bath, when I came out my knee was totally sore! The pain is only NOT present when I extend my leg, but the whole ROM is painfull. It is a bit swollen but nothing major.

Ok, call me insane for running that kind of distance, I know, this was the 2nd and last time, but now I am stuck with this pain and I am terrified I did tear some cartilage or something... It is like someone is sticking a knife in my patella on the medial side, when I push with my finger on my patella just there where I described, I can hit the roof! I can walk but nearly can't bend my knee, not without major pain!! Ooh it feels so wrong, and I've never had it before (not like this!).

I have been working untill now, and the pain hasn't gotten better, au contrary... worse! I surely can see an OS anytime, but I hope it's not necessary, although I am not getting good vibrations from this... I just hope nothing is wrong...

Anyone had anything similiar? What do U think? I have a thought, just hope it's a wrong one! I didn't twist it or anything, not that I know of anyway :-/

~Helena

Aagh I was really sure I wouldn't have to see my OS again the next few months (not untill my Synvisc wares off), but now... I hope tomorrow I wake up and it's gone!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 01:00:12 AM by Helena »
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: What've I done??
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 01:27:52 AM »
Well, Treat it with the RICE method, and wrap it in between. If it doesn't ease off in a few days, or you see something different, go see your os.

I hate to be the bearer of not so great news, but pain like that in the way you mention, could very well be a meniscal tear. It sounds like something is hanging up in there, keeping you from bending the knee without it screaming at you.

Please do call the OS office regardless, and describe things to them. They will be your best judge on whether or not you need to get your bod in there for an mri.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 11:54:15 AM »
Hey !!

When you feel like this don't hesitate at least call the doc. I understand the frustration you have and I'm not better then you I also do foolish things when I'm sick and tired of the pain and when I'm not able to move as I want. But next time try think before doing to much. You are only fooling yourself. Noone else thanks you for it. Better do something then too much.
Please let me know how you are doing.

hugs nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 02:30:10 PM »
Hey thanks guys!

I feel a bit better now... I didn't sleep well, everytime I bent my knee I woke up in pain... Still it isn't much better now... I haven't done anything so far, just do some research on my school projects (YIKES!). The swelling is still the same, pain still present, esp when ROM (Flexion +++). I will contact my OS if it doens't get better, the RICE didn't do much so far. Tried my brace and tubigrip but once something puts even the slightest bit of pressure on the medial side of my patella I can't hold it... I just hope I'll make it through the day... I have 2 work :(

CU soon will keep U updated
~Helena
00/06/83 L wrist #
21/08/02 L knee TTT

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Anyone seen the light at the end of the tunnel?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 03:11:14 PM »
Is it actually the patella or teh tendon?  If it's teh tendon, you may have patella tendonitis.  Running can cause this sort of thing.  
What the others have said is good advice.  RICE and if it doesn't settle, then go off to the doctor.  Better sooner than later.  
And next time you get the crazy idea that running is a fun activity, let me be the first to beat you over the head with your jogging shoes!!!  ;)  he he.  Hope I got a smile.

Take care
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 10:41:39 PM »
This is so confusing...because everyone thinks it's something differnt. however... the doc woudl be the best source of advice. My thought on it..is that if it actually on the back side of the kneecap...the pain, and not on the medial joint line it could be a chondro lesion... you 've smashed a soft spot into the cartilage. I have no idea...just that's the kind of pain I get when I have been smashing my cartilage around too much.
And 8kms... that's a long way..I would be lucky to run 100m's anymore. I miss running so much.
Hope it's nothing serious
HUGS and warm fuzzies for that knee
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 12:46:30 AM »

And next time you get the crazy idea that running is a fun activity, let me be the first to beat you over the head with your jogging shoes!!! ;) he he. Hope I got a smile.

Take care

U sure got the smile on my face!!!!! But watch out, 'cause I'll strike again one time haha!!! LOL

~Helena
00/06/83 L wrist #
21/08/02 L knee TTT

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 12:55:34 AM »
My thought on it..is that if it actually on the back side of the kneecap...the pain, and not on the medial joint line it could be a chondro lesion... you 've smashed a soft spot into the cartilage. I have no idea...just that's the kind of pain I get when I have been smashing my cartilage around too much.

Oooooooooooh Linds,

I hope you're so wrong but with my medical knowledge that was the first thing I thought and I am still thinking that... I tried to avoid that knee in every possible way this afternoon while working, but we had such a busy shift (how the ....rrrrrrrrrrrr) that it wasn't possible. Normally I "run" through the corridor, now I was slowely walking.... then still... Nearly got angry (but I didn't) when someone asked me to get a bottle of water, I needed to run through the whole corridor and back, said "no sir, you can take a bottle yourself",  and HE answered that I was the one with the best legs!!!!!!!!!! HE was lucky that i was in a good mood, when it's really busy I tend to be double crazy compared to "normal" shifts! ;D ;D (U would like to see that hey! ;D)

I will do the rice thing again now and go to bed, as I need to back @ work within 8 hrs and my knee is balloonseize, not able to bend more than 90 :-X

I'll keep U updated, hopefully with some good news. Well I have good news actually, haven't had back pain since Xmas, went through intensive PT for sacro-illiac joint instability and all pain is gone! How about that!

Me out for now.

Thanks for the HUGS, I've sent 'em back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Helena
00/06/83 L wrist #
21/08/02 L knee TTT

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 03:40:57 PM »
Yay about the lack of back pain.  Must be a relief.
Has your knee settled any?
Keep up with the ice and hopefully it was just your knee telling you that it doesn't like running.  Try cycling next.  It's a little gentler on your knees.  ;)
rk posterior meniscus tear. Successfully repaired 10 Sep,03. Now have nerve damage and cps which goes with it.  I want to slap the person who said 'It just takes time....'

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 10:06:38 PM »
Sienna

Thanks for the advice mate!

I had a CTscan on monday and the guy who took it told me I had a torn medial meniscus. I could see a line on my scan when he showed in on the PC, so I went away thinking I might need another surgery. I picked up the Xrays, asked the radiologist to take a look and he told me there's fluid in the knee, the patella is tracking and tilted laterally but no obvious signs of a torn meniscus :o, ACL was intact? I was happy in one way, but worried, if everything seemed kinda OK, then what caused that pain? So I asked if I could have my scans and went to see my OS rightaway. He asked what happened and although i had medial pain meniscus tests where negative and he didn't see a tear on the scans. He then said he thinks my patella did sublux really bad, just no dislocation... but if I wouldn't have had the TTT that it would have "gone out" again :( He said I have an inflammation and possible a little cartilage tear. I said that i didn't feel like it wanted to dislocate, still he was convinced that had happened... My medial patella retinaculum is stretched and this has to heal now, so in the mean time I should take it easy, no sports, but yep i have to keep working! He gave me a cortisone injection in the medial ligament, to lessen pain and reduce the ever present swelling... Now my knee is all black and bruised on the medial side, I can walk ok but I can't bent past 90 without pain. Should keep RICEing, hope it'll get better soon.

Thanks for the advice, I might quit the running, but I'll keep playing badminotn as soon as this has healed and I get the OK from the OS, he said in a couple of weeks it should be fine.

~Helena

In the mean time
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 10:08:13 PM by Helena »
00/06/83 L wrist #
21/08/02 L knee TTT

Offline sienna

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2004, 02:45:48 AM »
Badminton!!!!  I like badminton and may have to consider giving up netball (I have played for 20yrs  :'().  YOu're lucky to be able to play sport.  At the moment it is something I can only dream about.  :-/ One day.

So I hate it when you conflicting stories.  I didn't think that a meniscal tear would show up on an xray.  I thought you could only see bones.  My tear didn't show on an xray, only the mri.

And the rest of the diagnosis sounds like its not too bad.  At least you don't need another surgery.  That would have sucked.

So its some rest and ice etc.  I've got a new word for you to use at work:  delegation.  It's a great one to know.  You should try it out. he he.

Well I'm glad to hear that's it's not too major and that a couple of weeks will be the trick.  When you do get to play badminton, have a game for me.