Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellar Tendon Injury?  (Read 2042 times)

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
Patellar Tendon Injury?
« on: October 25, 2012, 11:02:01 PM »
Hi all,

Here's my story --- yesterday I was standing outside & my little dog came running at me & jumped up on my leg. He's only as high as my knee standing up on his hind legs so all his force hit just below my knee. I didn't notice him coming at me so I wasn't braced for the impact. My knee went backwards (hyper-extending?) & I almost went down but was able to catch myself & remain standing.

It hurt pretty good when it happened but as the evening went on I didn't notice any more pain than usual in that knee. (note: knee was replaced 2 yrs ago & still has a lot of medial pain). During the night I kept waking up as that knee started hurting more & more. I found I was sleeping with my knee bent as that felt better.

This morning I was in a lot of pain. I stayed home from work & pretty much just sat around resting & icing that knee. This day off hasn't helped the pain in that knee at all. I have a really penetrating sharp pain right below the knee cap. Usually I have a burning, aching pain on the medial side of that knee so this pain is definitely new & pretty strong.

I know I don't have an ACL anymore due to the TKA, so I'm wondering if this could be an injury to the patellar tendon? I can move the leg ok, it just hurts bad whether I'm moving or not. I have to go to work tomorrow & will be on my feet all day so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice I can try.
I have a foam brace that I put on over an ice wrap - doesn't seem to help. I have an appointment with a new OS (#5 for me!) to look at the other problems with this knee in a couple weeks. Until then, I just need a way to keep on my feet.

Thanks!!

Offline tiger77

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patellar Tendon Injury?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 09:47:55 AM »
Hi MyKnee,

Seems like you are weight-bearing okay, albeit with pain?
I ruptured my patella tendon back in July and when it happened, I was in a lot of pain, could not weight bear and my knee was visibly deformed - I thought the kneecap was dislocated.
Can you do straight leg raises? That's something I could not do straight away and for a hundred days after.
As always I recommend you get it checked out in your local emergency department so you get an x-ray, ultrasound to determine the injury.

Good luck!
Tiger

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
Re: Patellar Tendon Injury?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:22:22 PM »
Hi Tiger,

Thanks for the reply! It sounds like my PT might be strained or something like that & not ruptured - which is good news! I can weight bear & I can do straight leg lifts although the leg lifts cause really bad pain. That knee is always warm & swollen so I don't see any difference there. My knee cap looks ok & moves ok. The pain is the same as yesterday. The only thing that helps is ice & then only while the ice is on it.

I guess I just have to try & give that leg some rest & see if it gets better. I decided to take today off & once again sit & ice. At least I'm getting some paperwork done!

I have an OS appointment in another 1 1/2 weeks. I'll have to add this to the list of problems that knee has if it's still hurting then.

Thanks again!

support