Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MPFL Reconstruction surgery  (Read 1295 times)

Offline emjgil28

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
MPFL Reconstruction surgery
« on: October 23, 2012, 11:06:08 PM »
Hi all, I'm new here but have been reading through various posts already.
Im scheduled to have mpfl reconstruction to my left knee at the end of November and im feeling clueless right now!!! 
Basically I no what they are planning to do and what the surgery entails - 3 cuts, first to harvest tendon from hamstring, the others to attach it to femur etc.

What I haven't been told is what to expect after. I no I'll be in hospital for 3 days and from reading other posts I gather I'll be fitted with a brace, I've been given info for loan of a wheelchair.

However..  I have a 21month old daughter and am wondering exactly how hard everything is going to be for me. How long til I can use the leg again, will I be able to get about on crutches from day 1?

Basically anything anyone can tell me would be wonderful - both good and bad please

Cheers in advance

Em
UK
1992,1993.1997,1999-patella dislocation
2002-2005 muscle/tendon/ligament damage
2012 patella dislocation swelling stayed 5 weeks
November 2012 - mpfl reconstruction
December 2012 - 4weeks post-op knee clicking, and tried to dislocate again!

Offline RLE

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: MPFL Reconstruction surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 03:19:38 AM »
Hi all, I'm new here but have been reading through various posts already.
Im scheduled to have mpfl reconstruction to my left knee at the end of November and im feeling clueless right now!!! 
Basically I no what they are planning to do and what the surgery entails - 3 cuts, first to harvest tendon from hamstring, the others to attach it to femur etc.

What I haven't been told is what to expect after. I no I'll be in hospital for 3 days and from reading other posts I gather I'll be fitted with a brace, I've been given info for loan of a wheelchair.

However..  I have a 21month old daughter and am wondering exactly how hard everything is going to be for me. How long til I can use the leg again, will I be able to get about on crutches from day 1?

Basically anything anyone can tell me would be wonderful - both good and bad please

Cheers in advance

Em
UK
Good news is it will help tremendously-you'll be able to walk normally again although you didn't say why you're having it done. It's wonderful surgery. Bad news is it hurts, so bad that, well never mind, you'll survive like the rest of us did. You won't be able to do much for a very long time. Brace depends on doctor, they're all different. You'll be able to get around on crutches plus the brace but you won't be able to carry your child (or anything else) It's very awkward and uncomfortable. And difficult. And painful, did I mention that?  :) You can get an epidural before surgery and a nerve block after-don't be afraid to ask.  But it works and it's wonderful when it heals a bit and you can walk.
Accident 2011: permanent dislocation, hole under the patella, bone fragments/debris embedded, scar tissue, 3 torn ligaments, fracture, cartilage sheared off, contracture,
2011 MUA
PT on-going
2012 MPFL reconstruction,TTT
        TTT
        Lateral lengthenin
        Arthroscopy/clean out
Thx Dr. T

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 03:32:33 AM »
I'd suggest you try and contact your doctor's office for a copy of his post-op protocal. This will determine a lot of hwo you progress. Some doctors opt for braces, others do not. SOme like a period of immobilization, others do not. Some allow weightbearing immediately, others gradually.

Pain is an individual thing. I personally did not find it that painful. Overall, I was in a ROM brace for about 5 weeks, partial weightbearing. was getting around on crutches from the get go. Was down to one crutch indoors after 1 week. No crutches at about 4 wks. Overall, You're going to need help with your daughter for a few weeks probably at the very least. You'll adapt quickly to new ways of doing things though.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 01:07:50 PM »
Hey Em,

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery! I had my ACL done at the same time as my MPFL and am now just over six months post op. Slow and steady progress but still not a great deal of muscle bulk on the quad. I didn't have a  brace and was encouraged to PWB from the outset.

Like the other guys have mentioned, it's different for everyone so just go with the advice your surgeon provides. Staying informed and comparing what others experienced gave me plenty of things to think about and fuelled lots of interesting discussions with my surgeon and physiotherapist.

I was lucky (in my opinion) to have both ACL and MPFL reconstructed with cadaveric tendon so there was no chop, chop of my hamstring which suited me just fine!

Stay positive and when you can't, let this be your mantra:

"This too shall pass".

:) Karen

Sep 10 - confirmed ACL & medial meniscus tear
Dec 11 - chronic patellar dislocation - MPFL tear
23 Feb 12 - scope, MUA & 50% medial meniscectomy
17 Apr 12 - ACLr and MPFLr

Offline RLE

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:26:55 PM »
I'm at 10 weeks and still on two crutches, I stopped the brace 3 days after the surgery although I wore it to go out for about a week after that because my leg is so weak. I go to PT 3 times a week and the pool daily. The sub for my PT shoved up on my kneecap so hard that I'm taking the pool day off today and icing it all day. I was at 133 ROM last week so I hope to keep steady. It's not an easy surgery but it's worth it. Everyone is different. Keep us updated on your surgery/progress.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 10:54:42 PM by RLE »
Accident 2011: permanent dislocation, hole under the patella, bone fragments/debris embedded, scar tissue, 3 torn ligaments, fracture, cartilage sheared off, contracture,
2011 MUA
PT on-going
2012 MPFL reconstruction,TTT
        TTT
        Lateral lengthenin
        Arthroscopy/clean out
Thx Dr. T

Offline emjgil28

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 02:46:56 AM »
hi rle,

As you asked me to keep.posed on everything Ive started a post op diary about the surgery and daily progression (or lack of lol) I think it might worry some people going to have this surgery but it's really not meant to... think I'm just a bit of an impatient mess from the hips down lol,

cheers, Emma xx
1992,1993.1997,1999-patella dislocation
2002-2005 muscle/tendon/ligament damage
2012 patella dislocation swelling stayed 5 weeks
November 2012 - mpfl reconstruction
December 2012 - 4weeks post-op knee clicking, and tried to dislocate again!

support