Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: A Hodge Podge of Questions!  (Read 941 times)

Offline Emily

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
A Hodge Podge of Questions!
« on: January 10, 2004, 05:09:46 AM »
Hey guys!

I guess I should start with a bit of an update and then get to what I am wondering!

My right knee is doing pretty good. I have had full ROM for a good while, and cut back to PT once a week as long as I PROMISE to go to the gym and do my PT (yay don't have to tell me twice I'm there :)). Steps are still pretty painful, but mainly sharp pain in one spot at the top of where my OS did the lateral release. I tihnk the "PF pain" is pretty much gone, and my kneecap isn't subluxing and doing all of the other tricks anymore, so yay. I really am glad I had the "royal treatment" surgery and had it all one at once at this point... but I am kind of scared what the future will hold for this knee that had so much done at my age. But as of now I am really happy with my knee, the muscle weakness is still a big issue, but it takes time I know. I don't really think my knee will ever be "all better" but it is MUCH improved from what it was, and it is definately at a point that I can live with, although I am not  really hoping (it would be a dream come true) to ever be able to run on land(or any hard surface for that matter), or take dance, or competitively swim or do some other things again, but I think I am okay with that... atleast I can exist in a lot less discomfort and I can do a lot more than I could.

My left knee... is just a PAIN... in every sense of the word. It basically seems like it is subluxing whenever I go up steps, or do the bike, or have it bent and straighten it out... or if it just feels like being like that ya know. It's newest trick is odd, it will feel like it is popping over the side of the groove... and then not go back in. Yeah, fun. I am kind of scared that I got the right leg fixed up and have been working so hard on it... but the left is following right in it's path... I would hate to work so hard on one leg to have the other restrict me from doing things. But oh well, one thing at a time.

Anyways on to my questions ::)!  

First of all, my PTs seem to think my left kneecap is being pulled out of place by my IT band... has anyone heard of a tight IT band doing that??

When I talked to my OS about the one very specific painful spot at the top of the LR, he seemed to think it could be a ball of scar tissue... and if it doesn't resolve in 6 months he could scope it out and things would be dandy... umm... well, does that make sense? I think I have a LONG time and it should go away but...

The PTs and OS agree that it's an issue that my feet pronate when I walk. I have been having my feet tapped at PT, but I am not sure really what getting my feet casted like they suggest would do to benefit my knee now that it is "fixed".

I think that is more than enough for now  :) I hope you all are having a good 2004!!

Thanks guys!
Emily

« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 05:26:28 AM by KneePain326 »
Right Knee- 10-14-03- LR, TTO, Scope, Plica excision
               4-20-04- Scope, screw removal, scar tissue clean up

Left knee- subluxing, maltracking & malaligned-not ready to start treatmet..

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: A Hodge Podge of Questions!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2004, 06:28:32 AM »
Hey Emily  ;D,
Good to hear from you and even better that the surgery has lessened your knee discomfort.
As for your questions-

I have heard that a tight IT band can contribute to lateral tracking.

I'm not sure what you mean by having your feet casted. Is that for shoe inserts? It wouldnt' hurt to give them a try.

Keep up the good work,
cat
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline Marie

• Forum Faithful
  • Time for something sweet!
Re: A Hodge Podge of Questions!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 07:30:40 AM »
Hi Emily,

Interesting... my IT band is still VERY tight on my TTT leg - my PT actually massages it to loosen it up before we do ROM exercises.  

Kinda know what you mean about the left leg going bad on you... you poor dear!  My left has definitely gotten worse since the TTT on my right, but it's not subluxing... just a lot of PF symptoms.  Try working your hamstrings on your left leg - for some reason, that has helped me.

As for the possible scar tissue... try lots of vigourous massage & heat to break that up, as well as exercise.  My OS has recommended that to me as a firstline defense before he's willing to do any scar tissue removal.

How far along are you?  It's great to hear you're doing so well - you've come a long long way, so don't get discouraged!

Happy 2004 yourself!
Marie
24y/o - had subluxing right patella, frequent dislocations, osteoarthritis.
Sept26/03 - TTO, scope, LR, medial plication & microfracture (right).  
Slow ROM recovery (126).
My new PT is awesome!!!