Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: knee cap pain when doing squats  (Read 722 times)

Offline jcr12388

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
knee cap pain when doing squats
« on: October 16, 2012, 03:11:38 PM »
hey everyone..so its been about 10 months since my surgery and im recovering greatly. I started doing squats a few weeks ago and i have noticed that

when i am squatting my knee doesnt hurt but days after squatting my knee feels so stiff with slight pain on the knee cap (feel more stiffness overall).. But

before doing squats i was doing one-legged leg press on surgical knee and it felt great days after. I was wondering if anybody has had the same experience

and could give advice on my situation. it seems like the obvious solution would not to be squats but i just love doing them haha!

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: knee cap pain when doing squats
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 03:19:43 PM »
Check your squatting form. Are you squatting with weights? Is your weight through your heels, back straight, knee not coming over foot? Form can have a big effect on if you feel pain or not. Get someone to watch you - do your knees roll in, feet turn out...a proper analysis will show if you have muscle imbalances or poor form due to technique etc. Practice with no weights for a while to get your form good then slowly add in extras if you can cope. Squats are not wonderful for dodgy knees but I now do them (with some weight) despite very worn out kneecaps as my form was corrected, my stance is good and my muscles now control the movement rather than my kneecaps just falling all over the place!
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline jcr12388

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 05:08:48 PM »
yes squatting with weights.. from 135-255 lbs.. i go up to 255 lbs. because i am capable of it. Im not trying to force just one rep. I get about 8-10 reps squatting to parallel. its weird because ive always had good form. maybe im just not ready for squats yet. but like i said earlier, my knee feels completelyf ine when performing one-legged leg press

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 05:27:29 PM »
Thatís a big jump to go from the leg press to free standing squats w/ that much weight. Free standing definitely takes more stability/control/strength. Probably try less weight, higher reps potentially. It can be easy to lose good form with too much weight if you havenít regained enough strength yet.

What kind of surgery did you have? 
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline jcr12388

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 05:48:37 PM »
Thatís a big jump to go from the leg press to free standing squats w/ that much weight. Free standing definitely takes more stability/control/strength. Probably try less weight, higher reps potentially. It can be easy to lose good form with too much weight if you havenít regained enough strength yet.

What kind of surgery did you have?

i had acl reconstructive using patellar tendon. ya maybe ill try 12-15 reps withl ighter weight