Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: where to start?  (Read 632 times)

Offline rbtrumpet

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
where to start?
« on: October 16, 2012, 03:05:12 PM »
Hi everyone,

I injured myself last weekend, and I am so overwhelmed right now!!

I got an MRI, and found out I tore my lateral meniscus, and completely tore my ACL, the doctor said it was "gone" and showed me on the MRI pictures where it disappeared.  He didn't tell me what kind of tear I had on the meniscus, I think I'll find out today - but he did show me where there is a "triangle" between the joints - I'm going to ask the surgeon today if that's why my ROM is so limited (extension is almost completely back, but flexion won't go past about 90o - I've been trying to work it for a week with no improvement - then again, I'm not in any PT right now either).

I'm meeting with an orthopedic surgeon today.  He has worked with professional sports teams, served as head of orthopedics at a local hospital, and currently is the primary physician for a local high school team.  He is a runner, too.  I'm hoping he will be a good match, as I would like to get back to running as soon as possible.

I've searched a little, but there are a million ACL threads here, so....where is a good place to start?  I'm really looking for: 1) things to discuss with my surgeon before surgery 2) what to do before surgery to prepare and 3) what to expect from rehab.

Thanks!

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 369
  • Neelie knee!
Re: where to start?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 03:42:47 PM »
Look in the ACL section for starters and also the cruciates bit of the Information Hub. 

A poster called Grapplingdude has a year long diary running, he is very sporty.  Had a meniscus injury and then an ACLr subsequently

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=57360.0

Lots of other diaries around.  Graft choice is important in ACLs but often that is down to the surgeon's preference and where you live (US?)

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 05:04:02 PM »
You could possibly have the remnants of the ACL stuck in the notch between the condyles of the femur and tibia - check out diary from Cosmicsnuffle who had her "stump" of the ACL caught and was locked in a certain angle, she went onto have successful ACLr using hamstring graft. Poster Snowy also had a hamstring ACLr two years ago and is back to skiing, running, hiking, cycling....check out her diary.  :D 

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=52154.0

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=51588.0

I think it is generally agreed that getting a full or at least good ROM prior to any reconstruction takes place is desirable so you might want to ask your surgeon about this and what the plan/timescale would be. However, you might just be VERY swollen and that can severely restrict ROM if you're only a week out of injury. Good luck, it is overwhelming but this board provides a lot of advice and inspiration.
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline rbtrumpet

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 06:51:09 PM »
thanks!  I'll read those links tonight.

Talked to the surgeon - the ACL is definitely completely torn - the bottom portion is where it's supposed to be, the top portion is not showing up on the MRI at all.  He suspects that it is actually facing towards the back of my knee, but said it was hard to see on the MRI.  He strongly suggested the hamstring graft, and since I don't have a huge preferance, that's what we're going with. (yes, I'm in the US - not sure if that matters, though - lol)

Also, the meniscus is, I guessed, really messed up - he said there is a "bucket handle" (right?) tear, and it's folded forward on top of itself, which explains why I can't get a full extension (I can get close, but not full).
  They have to straighten the meniscus back out and then see if they can repair it.

Because of the meniscal tear, they want me in surgery ASAP, so it looks like I will be going in either this week or next week once we can get a couple things worked out.

Thanks for the info, looks like I'll be around for a while (I'll check out the cruciates, meniscus, and rehab boards)...