Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Considering Open-Wedge HTO  (Read 5089 times)

Offline cjmac

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Considering Open-Wedge HTO
« on: October 15, 2012, 05:50:41 AM »
Hello all!!  A bit of background: at age 34 (2006) I totally blew the ACL in my left knee; partial MCL tear as well as damaged medial meniscus.  ACL was replaced with allograft, MCL repaired, and 75% of medial meniscus removed.  Spent prob 6 months in PT (Active Duty U.S. Marine); at end of therapy was pretty much "just like new".  Fast-forward to late 2008 - while deployed in Afganistan stepped on a double-fist sized rock in the dark; felt knee "separate", but after a couple of days seemed back to normal.  However, since then stability has been suspect, running or other impact sports requires ice / anti-infalmmatories, pain and consequences from running have gotten progressively worse.  Finally was able to get into an OS, and after a CT, MRI, and hip-to-ankle xray he confirmed my suspicions - the ACL is non-functional.  OS stated that the causes of ACL failure were most likely because original tunnels were drilled "too vertically."  In addition I have early stages of OA in the medial compartment; between the removed meniscus and the OA the gap has almost disappeared.

OS' recommendation is an Open-Wedge HTO; during the same surgery he would fill the original tunnels as they are too big to drill around or re-use.  He estimates 5-6 month recovery, at which time the ACL revision would be performed, with another 4-6 month recovery.

As I am just now 40, I have to decide on whether to be down a year in the hopes that the HTO and ACL revision allow me to continue my career in the Marines as well as get back to running, walking, etc relatively pain-free...knowing that a TKR is most likely down the road for me regardless.

Anyone who has had a similar procedure - thoughts or regrets?  My OS did say I could choose to try to deal with it until it becomes unbearable...at which point a TKR would be the only solution.  THanks,

CJMac

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 13
Re: Considering Open-Wedge HTO
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 06:03:11 PM »
Hi

I was in a similar situation in 2011, opted to have the HTO, and kept a post op diary. If you want to read it , here is the link......

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=58048.0

It will give you some idea of what happens post op, but you would be having more done than I did. I had mine for the same OA reason as yourself. I do not regret having the HTO at all, and have been able to do more now than before the op. Ask lots of questions of your OS, like how many he has done?, What he is going to put in your leg? etc

There are other post op diaries in the Rehab dept, post op diaries.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email and I will try to answer them based on my own experience.

Keep in touch

WD

Offline cjmac

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 07:40:15 PM »
WD,

Thanks, I appreciate it!  Will be reading your post-op diary asap, and I will certainly hit you up with any questions.

Chris

Offline bigal177

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 08:06:26 AM »
 hi chris i have also had a HTO as i have grade 4 osteoathritis in both knees  my problems differ a bit as my ops were done to save
bone as i need new knees but at 43 am too young  :o i am poust op 2 years on my right leg and 5 months on my left leg
personally i think its a good choice and has helped me a lot not a cure for me but a big help on the pain side i also have a diary
so you can see what to expect
regards
Alan

Offline cjmac

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 02:55:41 PM »
Alan,
  Thanks!  I read through your diary...how have you managed since July? Also, did you have a closed-wedge HTO?  Hope all is well with you on your side of the pond...

Chris

Offline bigal177

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 06:43:23 PM »
hi chris
i have been a bit lapse with my diary , things have progressed well for me
i had 12 weeks off work this time round as i am a carpenter i am seeing my surgeon tomorrow
but i have been really happy with my recovery ,i was completely off meds while i was not working
but when i came back to work have had to rely on them again  >:( i think that is gonna be the way of it
for me unfortunately as i still have the osteoathritis , ihave calmed down on the meds now and just take diclofenac
reguarly with cocodamol when needed
I had the open wedge op and i am now back to the gym to try and sort my quads out ,they are like mush
unfortunately my hamstrings and calves have been over working to make up for it so thats another source of pain never mind hey
 any other questions Chris please fell free to ask
Alan

Offline knee-will-be-great

• Forum Faithful
  • Open-wedge HTO & ACL allograft done (YES!)
    • ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 10:11:19 PM »
Hi CJMAC,

I had an open wedge HTO 7 years ago (anniversary on January 19, 2013).

Everything is still good, and I am a female, over 50. (read active lifestyle).

Please feel free reading my posts from pre and post surgery.

Sincerely,

Knee-will-be-great ... And it still is!

PS ... You should get your ACL reconstructed as well.  I had an allograft.

Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

support