Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tibial Tubercle Transfer Surgery  (Read 953 times)

Offline thommo404

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Tibial Tubercle Transfer Surgery
« on: October 15, 2012, 04:10:10 AM »
Well I have had a previous thread about what has happened to me and where I am up to. Here is the link to it if you would like to read it..

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=60569.0

Well Friday I saw an independent surgeon and this is what happened.

He said at the start that it was not a consultation but was for to write a report.

He asked heaps of questions, had a play around with my leg.

At the end I asked what he thought and said I was not to tell anyone that he told me.  But he thinks that I need to have the ligament that goes from the bottom of my patella to the top of my shin moved because he thinks it sits tofar on the outside of my shin.

I spoke to my physio at hydro an hour after that and he was a little suprised and said that surgery is not done much anymore.  I think he called it a tibial transfer?

Does anyone know much about them.  He said about a 9 to 12 month recovery for one of them.  What is the recovery like as far as running etc goes?  Are they successful?

Offline ArtByCassie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Tibial Tubercle Transfer Surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 05:54:16 AM »
I don't have any experience with a Tibial tubercle transfer but I am wondering why he would tell you not to tell anyone.. That I find a little confusing. I have seen 6 surgeons for my knees and was told by all of them that the more people you have look at your legs the better before deciding on what to do. I have had some say my problem is one thing.. Some its another.. I am a firm believer in getting as much knowledge about your condition before jumping into surgery. Perhaps you need to go see some more surgeons to see what they have to say.. To see if they agree with the other DR? 9-12 months is a very long recovery. So I would really make sure you cover all your basis before jumping in head first .. Just my opinion...  :)

Offline thommo404

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 08:32:38 AM »
I think it is because he works for the insurance company and doesn't want me to say anything before the report is written.

Offline am7800

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 12:33:07 PM »
I had a TTT done 4 1/2 months ago.  I'm not 100% yet, but I feel like I'm close.  The recovery wasn't too bad. The first couple months were rough, but once I was off the crutches and out of the brace it got a lot easier for me.  I was toe touch weight bearing and locked in a brace for 6 weeks. Could only do passive range of motion during that time.  I started pt right away and once my brace was unlocked and I could start weight bearing I was able to start building back up the muscle I lost.  I was able to go back to work with no restrictions at 3 months and was told no activities that would put a lot of force on the knee, like running, for 6 months.  My surgery was successful, the pain I had before surgery is completely gone, my knee feels better than it ever has.  And other than the occasional ache where the screws are, I am pain free. You may want to check out the patella femoral section  of the board. There are quite a few people that have had this and I got a lot of great information there. Good luck!
2011 left knee arthroscopy with plica removal
2012 left knee TTT
2015 right knee arthroscopy with patella chondroplasty
2016 right knee arthroscopy and TTT

Offline RLE

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 02:53:33 PM »
Well I have had a previous thread about what has happened to me and where I am up to. Here is the link to it if you would like to read it..

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=60569.0

Well Friday I saw an independent surgeon and this is what happened.

He said at the start that it was not a consultation but was for to write a report.

He asked heaps of questions, had a play around with my leg.

At the end I asked what he thought and said I was not to tell anyone that he told me.  But he thinks that I need to have the ligament that goes from the bottom of my patella to the top of my shin moved because he thinks it sits tofar on the outside of my shin.

I spoke to my physio at hydro an hour after that and he was a little suprised and said that surgery is not done much anymore.  I think he called it a tibial transfer?

Does anyone know much about them.  He said about a 9 to 12 month recovery for one of them.  What is the recovery like as far as running etc goes?  Are they successful?
None of the patellofemoral surgeries are as common as TKRs, ACL, MCL or PCL that's why your PT may not be familiar with them but they are certainly alive and well and performed quite often on those who need them. I had a couple (including a TTT) and it's working well. I agree though that a bad surgeon may not have put the ligament in the correct spot.
Accident 2011: permanent dislocation, hole under the patella, bone fragments/debris embedded, scar tissue, 3 torn ligaments, fracture, cartilage sheared off, contracture,
2011 MUA
PT on-going
2012 MPFL reconstruction,TTT
        TTT
        Lateral lengthenin
        Arthroscopy/clean out
Thx Dr. T

support