Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Acl mcl mpfl reconstruction  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Bezzle86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Acl mcl mpfl reconstruction
« on: October 12, 2012, 10:36:40 PM »
Has anybody else had all of these done at the same time or just me. After 8 weeks I'm out of the splint and about to start physio. I'm really stiff and have pain in my shin were I have 1 of my scars. I've been told to rub the scars to increase blood flow and movement. Is there anything else I can be doing to increase recovery time.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 09:29:33 PM by Bezzle86 »

Offline DennisKnee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: Acl mcl mpfl reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 01:06:56 AM »
Hey Bezzie86,

I had the ACL/MPFL combo almost six months ago. MCL all good though. It's a long, slow road to recovery and my knee is still a work in progress but when I walk down a flight of stairs these days, I always...ALWAYS stop and smile and think about how far I've come and how much more confident I feel about my knee.

I was encouraged to WB as tolerated from the outset after my op and was not ever in a splint. My surgeon wanted to get things moving right away to reduced the risk of excessive scar tissue building up and hindering my movement/recovery. That's not to say that my surgeon's rehab protocols are superior to those that were recommended for you. In fact, the more posts you read on here, the more you will realise that no two experiences (and all the things that go along with those experiences) are the same.

Feel free to have a read of some of my experiences and let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=58754.0

Like I mentioned though, my MCL wasn't touched and my surgery was still considered to be a pretty big one so what you've gone through sounds quite major. Slow and steady wins the race and in my experience, doing too much too soon can be just as detrimental as doing nothing, in terms of your rehab.

Keep me posted.

:) Karen
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 01:09:09 AM by DennisKnee »
Sep 10 - confirmed ACL & medial meniscus tear
Dec 11 - chronic patellar dislocation - MPFL tear
23 Feb 12 - scope, MUA & 50% medial meniscectomy
17 Apr 12 - ACLr and MPFLr

Offline Bezzle86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 09:25:27 PM »
Thank you this has reminded me that I won't be running a marathon tommorrow, and to take it easy and not over do it.

Offline Rothera

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 11:37:53 PM »
I had ACL and MCL reconstruction in March using allograft for both. I had 12 weeks in a brace but was pretty mobile from the start. Had to have an LOA and MUA at 13 weeks post op to clear the scar tissue but now I'm great. Even ran 3 miles today. Didn't have the mpfl to cope with though. It takes time but you can get there.
2011 big knee blow out! ACL rupture, lat meniscus rupture, MCL rupture 3rd degree. ACLr June plus meniscus repair. All Failed Sept 2011. Attempted ACLr and MCL Oct. bone cavitation = bone grafting. March 2012ACLr plus MCL graft with allograft. June LOAR. Clot. Wash out.
March 2013 skiing

Offline Rothera

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 09:24:43 AM »
I had ACL and MCL reconstruction in March using allograft for both. I had 12 weeks in a brace but was pretty mobile from the start. Had to have an LOA and MUA at 13 weeks post op to clear the scar tissue but now I'm great. Even ran 3 miles today. Didn't have the mpfl to cope with though. It takes time but you can get there.
2011 big knee blow out! ACL rupture, lat meniscus rupture, MCL rupture 3rd degree. ACLr June plus meniscus repair. All Failed Sept 2011. Attempted ACLr and MCL Oct. bone cavitation = bone grafting. March 2012ACLr plus MCL graft with allograft. June LOAR. Clot. Wash out.
March 2013 skiing