Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Arthritic patella induced limp, back pain (and Synvisc)  (Read 865 times)

Offline JTB

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Arthritic patella induced limp, back pain (and Synvisc)
« on: October 12, 2012, 06:17:27 PM »
Am going into my 10th month post patella chondroplasty and lateral release and my knee is worse off post-surgery: knee buckles and the patella locks-up from time to time and when locked-up, hurts, swells, etc. Have a bunch of compressed discs and vertebra from a previous injury, and partly because I've been limping around for 10 months, my back has starting to really bother me in earnest. Last week I spent several days in bed until the Flexeril kicked in (I don't like drugs in general, and Flexeril is one of my least favorite). Is back difficulty a common side-effect for chronic limpers and if so, does any one have and recommendations as remedy: obvious or otherwise?

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:13:30 PM by JTB »
Bike racer electing sport-med scope Jan 2011 for patella catch: shave patella, MFC and trochlea (with sneaky lateral release) Grade 3 findings. @ 1 year, CRPS, pain inhibition, muscle atrophy, osteopenia, sudden bilateral chondromalacia. in free-fall 2 1/2 years.
Today on Strava riding well.

Offline beachymama

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Arthritic patella induced limp, back pain (and Synvisc)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 07:48:40 PM »
I don't know much, but I know since I started having my current problem in August I have been limping and trying to keep from putting a ton of stress or twisting on my painful knee leg. It has completely thrown my entire body out of whack, from my lower back to my neck. I told my husband I feel like I'm 110! It's amazing how our body systems work together and how one little thing can just throw everything off balance.
1992: (R) Medial reefing & lateral release
1993: (L) Medial reefing & lateral release
11/12: (R) Medial reefing, MPFL repair, lateral release

Offline greatfulgann

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 09:18:46 PM »
Sounds like scar tissue might be contributing to your problems.  Are you able to get full extension/hyper-extension equal to your good leg?  I found I was able to relieve  catching once I was able to increase my extension.  What has helped me the most is weighted prone hangs with legs off the bed.

Offline JTB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 11:45:08 PM »
Have a painful (series of catches) catch behind my patella starting at around 10-15 degrees before full extension, say if I hang my legs off the edge of the bed, starting off at 45 degrees. If I assist my gimpy side by hooking good leg/foot under ankle, there is no catch or pain- The catch/pain occurs only when engaging quads, but not when doing light, less than 45 degree squats. All very perplexing.

I'll try those exercises. Thanks for the suggestion.
Bike racer electing sport-med scope Jan 2011 for patella catch: shave patella, MFC and trochlea (with sneaky lateral release) Grade 3 findings. @ 1 year, CRPS, pain inhibition, muscle atrophy, osteopenia, sudden bilateral chondromalacia. in free-fall 2 1/2 years.
Today on Strava riding well.