Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Right knee ACL recon. Meniscus tear  (Read 1949 times)

Offline DMAC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Right knee ACL recon. Meniscus tear
« on: January 09, 2004, 08:24:56 PM »
New to this site and comparitively niave about all the jargon. Got a query on another post but I can see that my knee has held up well by comparison.

I am 38. In 1988 had ACL reconstruction. Not sure of the technique but I think he used quad muscle as I have 20" scar up over the knee to my upper leg. Worked hard at rehab with help from Physio at football club. Played football until last year and rugby from 30+. Had miniscul bucket handle tear in 1992 and little bit removed (about 2/3 cm). Get a little click at very limit of straightening leg but nothing else to talk of. No pain/swelling to ever talk of. Still very active and have been a fireman since 1990.

Offline ringpull

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Highlands, Scotland
Re: Right knee ACL recon. Meniscus tear
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 03:06:23 AM »
Hey there,
its good to know that there is "life after ACL recon"!!!

I too had my right ACL reconstructed 6 months ago and apart from the odd setback, I have been getting on okay.

I'm finding this the hardest time tho, as the progress has slowed down dramatically, only building muscle strength - which seems to take forever!!! My motivational skills are taking a battering!

I am also in the fire service (retained), and was wondering if this will stop me from passing the medical for wholetime?
Any advice would greatly appreiciated.