Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Grade IV Patellar and Trochlear Groove Chondromalacia  (Read 4588 times)

Offline cmar32

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Grade IV Patellar and Trochlear Groove Chondromalacia
« on: October 08, 2012, 07:43:08 PM »
Thirteen years ago I had Patellar tendon transfer on both knees.  Recent MRI shows Grade IV  Patellar and trochlear groove chondromalacia, along with mild medial compartment osteoarthritis, small joint effusion, 4 cm multiloculated popliteal cyst, grade I degenerative signal  within posterior horn of medial meniscus.  Also, mild thinning of hyaline articular cartilage at centeral weightbearing surface of medial femoral condyle.  Grade IV apical patellar chondromalacia and grade IV chondromalacia at inferior aspect of trochlear grooove.  Over the past 6 years, I had complained of pain to my orthopedic surgeon but no test were done.  After the MRI on the right knee, he suggested that we would start with PT.  Prior to patellar tendon transfer, PT was non productive.  I am apprehensive to attempt the PT because the pain is quite intense.  Could you advise if PT would be futile or if I should suck it up and do it!

Offline Hopfulnee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Grade IV Patellar and Trochlear Groove Chondromalacia
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 10:54:32 PM »
Thirteen years ago I had Patellar tendon transfer on both knees.  Recent MRI shows Grade IV  Patellar and trochlear groove chondromalacia, along with mild medial compartment osteoarthritis, small joint effusion, 4 cm multiloculated popliteal cyst, grade I degenerative signal  within posterior horn of medial meniscus.  Also, mild thinning of hyaline articular cartilage at centeral weightbearing surface of medial femoral condyle.  Grade IV apical patellar chondromalacia and grade IV chondromalacia at inferior aspect of trochlear grooove.  Over the past 6 years, I had complained of pain to my orthopedic surgeon but no test were done.  After the MRI on the right knee, he suggested that we would start with PT.  Prior to patellar tendon transfer, PT was non productive.  I am apprehensive to attempt the PT because the pain is quite intense.  Could you advise if PT would be futile or if I should suck it up and do it!

Hello,

Have you tried any other types of therapy besides PT? My knee problems are a lot different from yours, and not nearly as extensive but I know what you mean about the PT. Although it helped me get motion back in beg, other times it left me in pain and limping more than when I started, and not much stronger. Once I alternated between two therapists at the same practice,one would say I needed to push my knee harder, the other would take one look at my knee and tell me not to work so hard! Fast forward, a few weeks ago I bought a foam roller to deal with my excruciatingly tight quads, hammies,etc (stretching did nothing)., and also started researching muscle pain, myofascial pain,etc. a lot of knee trouble starts in the muscles,as you know.This led me to Trigger Point Therapy and an old post on kneeguru by Marmite girl. Some of her problems may have been sim iliar to yours.Trigger points are small contraction knots in the muscles which are believed to refer pain to other parts of the body, many,many to the knee.Not a new concept, apparently. Check out her post, and www.triggerpoints.net.  I just bought the Trigger Point Therapy Workbook she rec by Clair Davies. It is really well written and thorough. There are an awful lot of muscles to learn so I'm taking it slow and learning a couple of muscles at a time. i feel like its got a lot of potential for reducing my medial pain, chrondomalacia in at least my RK and maybe LK too, all much worse since my Euflexxa (Eu-notta!) injection over six weeks ago.Like you I bet, even walking is very painful now, every day. i may end up having my knee scoped eventually, but taking more control over my own pain is really empowering. Worth a try. That's all I got, best of luck to you.
Feb 2013 RK arthroscopy/chondroplasty,synovectomy
Aug 2012 - failed Euflexxa,big pain LK too now
Neurontin early,cortisone inj x3, pt x3, Graston
May 2012 - MRI RK
Dec 2011 - MRI RK
Feb 2011 - MCL tear grade II ski

Offline diggz1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Grade IV Patellar and Trochlear Groove Chondromalacia
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 03:29:32 AM »
Just checking to see if you had any luck with the trigger point injections?
2009--Torn R acl, mcl, medial & lateral meniscus
June 2009-R knee Double partial meniscectomy
July 2012-R knee ACL recon. hamstring graft
Aug2013-R knee Grade IV Chondromalacia
L knee pain 3+ yrs