Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella tracking  (Read 502 times)

kneetaco

Patella tracking
« on: October 08, 2012, 07:14:47 PM »
Hello,

I'm writing to get some advice about a possible patella tracking issue.  I've always had knee pain climbing stairs, in particular in my right knee.  It's fairly mild but present after a few flights of stairs.  Last week I started doing an exercise that involves squeezing a ball between my knees.  http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/media/medical/hw/h9991327_003.jpg.  I also have been stretching my hamstrings.

Now when I'm sitting, and straighten my leg, I have a painful and strange movement of my kneecap.  When I cycle, the kneecap feels like it's looser than before and I get a pain on the right side of the kneecap.

Is it possible that this is a patella tracking disorder?  How would I go about trying to correct it?

Thanks

Offline believev

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patella tracking
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 12:10:35 AM »
I have been diagnosed with tracking problems in the past, for me any activity causes inflatation and pain
I suspect your issue could be from muscle imbalances.  I have ahad them for years and I just can't get it nailed down
I really dont know what to tell you except find a very good PT place and see what happens.

one other thing when you focus on a joint constantly i feel like you notice things that aren't there, or were there but never bothered you.
Try general strenthenging.  QUad sets, and straight leg lifts  do it for 1 month if you dont see any improvement id see a physical therapist.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: Patella tracking
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 12:21:01 AM »
Agree with believev, find a good OS or PT to get started on an overall strength program to iron out any muscle imbalances. Quads, hips, glutes, hammies, and core strength all contribute. Doing one isolated exercise could actually make it worse as you'll strengthen one muscle group, but not the others.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening