Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Clicking sensation when I extend fully my leg..  (Read 44471 times)

Offline fallenleaf

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Clicking sensation when I extend fully my leg..
« on: October 05, 2012, 04:01:38 PM »
Hi all,

I'm so lucky because I found this forum!
For almost three years I have a strange problem when I extend specially the right leg when the knee is totally bent. (recently, also the left leg sometimes)
I feel like a "clicking" or "snapping" sensation when the knee is extended just beyond 90į degrees.
There's absolutely no pain, and I've never had swelling. And I've never had any knee problem, neither falls nor injuries. Nothing!
It 's just annoying because I practice yoga, and in some positions I have to extend the leg and.. "click". The right leg is also the "dominant", my favorite.
This is just snapping sensation on the surface of my knee, precisely inside, just above the kneecap. It's like a tendon that snaps on the kneecap or something of "elastic", because it happens only when I move my leg. I'm asking if this problem happens due to my excessive leg flexibility, maybe a ligament laxity.

It could be a plica problem for this click in the inner side of my knee? Or patello femoral misalignment? However, if it were the PF syndrome, the popping would be outside of the leg, right?
I can walk and run with no problems (I walk three times a week for an hour) and I have never had any pain. I can also go up and down stairs without cracking sounds. (so I think it is a problem of the meniscus nor arthritis) I can spend hours sitting watching TV without having the "cinema sign" (maybe my ligaments aren't damaged)

Also I went to the doctor (it's my uncle, so he checked my knees carefully, moving my legs and manipulating them) and I was told to not worry about this "problem" because both of my legs are healthy and weren't necessary other analyzes, rays etc.
One last thing: when I look at my legs I can see that the vastus medialis of the left leg is actually more developed than the right.

Sorry for this long post, I hope to get help. Thank you very much for any information you'll give me. I'm looking for some exercises that I can do to strenghten my weak muscles. The problem is: what muscles, inner side or outer side? :) Hope this is the right session of the forum!

Note: I've noticed that also my father has a similar problem and also if I extend my leg with my foot turned outside, the knee usually doesn't click.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 12:04:30 PM by fallenleaf »

Offline Hopfulnee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Clicking sensation when I extend fully my leg..
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:00:21 PM »
hello,

I had a similar problem very recently with cracking,clicking,clunking in both knees. I believe it was caused by maltracking although my OS didn't seem to think so.  here's what I did, and although my knees still hurt differently they're not making noise, I mean any!  First, I bought a foam roller and painfully started rolling out my tight quads , the rectorus femoris and vastus intermedius on the front of the thigh, and the vastus lateral is on the outside. I couldn't  foam roll vastus medial on inside thigh cause I have a lot of medial pain now. I just gently massaged that one. There are a lot of websites that explain foam rolling these muscles safely. when I felt a little better I added on the floor strengthening exercises for the Vastus medialis and side leg raises for outer thigh for the vastus lateralis and hip.Check  out exercises on www.floota.com, type in knee popping or vastus medialis, they explain some easy exercises. I also bought over the counter ACE patellar knee straps to wear, they're not too exp and help tracking. Finally, I bought The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies to learn to self massage trigger points that occur in muscles and can refer pain to knees and many other parts of body. I am learning it to help manage pain as it comes along, and keep muscles working properly. It is helping.Check out old post on knee guru by Marmitte girl, that's where I first learned about it. Good luck with the noisy knees

Feb 2013 RK arthroscopy/chondroplasty,synovectomy
Aug 2012 - failed Euflexxa,big pain LK too now
Neurontin early,cortisone inj x3, pt x3, Graston
May 2012 - MRI RK
Dec 2011 - MRI RK
Feb 2011 - MCL tear grade II ski

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 10:37:35 PM »
Honestly, your uncle is correct. If no pain, instability, etc, etc, etc. and you can run, jump, and do anything you want, you really shouldnít concern yourself to much with. It could be a lot of the things you say, plica, tendons snapping, possible mal-tracking, but until itís causing some kind of discomfort, leave well enough alone.

I have a similar issue where as a tendon snaps over my femur on the very inside of my leg on extension. THAT never caused me any pain, discomfort, etc. Annoying yes, But it just is what it is.

But, just keep good overall strength in your legs/core to avoid anything becoming a problem down the line. Itís never great to isolate just the quads (inner/outer muscles above the knee). The experts all push hips, glutes, core, hamstrings in addition to quads. Start slow and gradually increase. Itís hard to suggest exercises as a lot of programs are tailored to the individual and where he/she appropriately can start. Maybe try and make an appointment with a trainer at a gym to get some direction on where to start and what to do.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline RLE

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 12:14:07 AM »
Hi all,

I'm so lucky because I found this forum!
For almost three years I have a strange problem when I extend specially the right leg when the knee is totally bent. (recently, also the left leg sometimes)
I feel like a "clicking" or "snapping" sensation when the knee is extended just beyond 90į degrees.
There's absolutely no pain, and I've never had swelling. And I've never had any knee problem, neither falls nor injuries. Nothing!
It 's just annoying because I practice yoga, and in some positions I have to extend the leg and.. "click". The right leg is also the "dominant", my favorite.
This is just snapping sensation on the surface of my knee, precisely inside, just above the kneecap. It's like a tendon that snaps on the kneecap or something of "elastic", because it happens only when I move my leg. I'm asking if this problem happens due to my excessive leg flexibility, maybe a ligament laxity.

It could be a plica problem for this click in the inner side of my knee? Or patello femoral misalignment? However, if it were the PF syndrome, the popping would be outside of the leg, right?
I can walk and run with no problems (I walk three times a week for an hour) and I have never had any pain. I can also go up and down stairs without cracking sounds. (so I think it is a problem of the meniscus nor arthritis) I can spend hours sitting watching TV without having the "cinema sign" (maybe my ligaments aren't damaged)

Also I went to the doctor (it's my uncle, so he checked my knees carefully, moving my legs and manipulating them) and I was told to not worry about this "problem" because both of my legs are healthy and weren't necessary other analyzes, rays etc.
One last thing: when I look at my legs I can see that the vastus medialis of the left leg is actually more developed than the right.

Sorry for this long post, I hope to get help. Thank you very much for any information you'll give me. I'm looking for some exercises that I can do to strenghten my weak muscles. The problem is: what muscles, inner side or outer side? :) Hope this is the right session of the forum!

Note: I've noticed that also my father has a similar problem and also if I extend my leg with my foot turned outside, the knee usually doesn't click.
My OS's (all of them) said that some people have no clicking and pain and some have clicking and no pain and therefore it's an indication of nothing exactly so if it ain't broke don't fix it. OTOH you did say the vm on your left leg is more developed than the right and I sort of wonder if you don't have something going on. I did-shallow grooves in my kneecaps which also meant my kneecaps sat far to the outside BUT other than a tiny bit of swelling on my right knee and tiny bit of pain in that knee after exercise (which was alleviated by use of a brace during exercise) I had no problems at all with my knee until my very serious accident. Seriously, don't worry about it unless/until you have such bad pain that it's adversely affecting your mobility and quality of life.  I also think it's worth it to find the best physical therapist you can who knows about knees and pay out of pocket for a couple of sessions to have him/her take a look at your knee and your gait and suggest some exercises you can do to target the specific area you're concerned about. A good physical therapist is worth his/her weight in gold.
Accident 2011: permanent dislocation, hole under the patella, bone fragments/debris embedded, scar tissue, 3 torn ligaments, fracture, cartilage sheared off, contracture,
2011 MUA
PT on-going
2012 MPFL reconstruction,TTT
        TTT
        Lateral lengthenin
        Arthroscopy/clean out
Thx Dr. T

Offline fallenleaf

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 11:20:46 PM »
Hopfulnee: Really that roll exercise is so heplful? :) Yes I've seen many videos and websites where is explained that exercise and it's funny becase everytime I watched those exercises I just thinked "oh, this won't help me". So I was wrong, now I have only to find out some of this foam roller. Thank you for shared with me your experience.
In these last two weeks I was trying the "standing knee terminal extension" using a theraband, I don't know if it is helpful for my vmo, but I think it would be dangerous and I hope it will balance my right leg comparing with my left muscles.

And, about "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies: it's very interesting, thank your for this suggest ^^

Allyd/RLE: Firstly, thank you so much, I'm feeling better reading your comment..

"Itís never great to isolate just the quads (inner/outer muscles above the knee). The experts all push hips, glutes, core, hamstrings in addition to quads."

Yes, you're absolutely right, sometimes isolating only some muscles it could be a bit "unhealthy, infact I'm also focusing on my hamstring and gluteus (there are a lot of yoga poses very helpful so maybe I have only to working with those)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There are some news, maybe the first it could be very important if you've felt a similar sensation:

1) When I'm lying on my bed on my left side (remember that my right leg is the more "problematic" eheh) I extend my leg and there is a very big snap. When I extend my right leg on my right side, nothing :S strange! Another situation where my knee doesn't click is because I hold my foot rotated outside, with my vastus medialis (? idk if I contract it or other inside thigh muscles) hard and contract..

2)I don't know if is it due to my "new selfish training program", but I've noticed that since are passed two weeks, now when I'm warmed during my yoga session I don't feel anymore the snapping sensation extending my knee from totally bent from fully extended. I'm happy for this "improvement".

So, if you want to give me other "tips" I will appreciate :) Thank you all for your great help!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:24:13 PM by fallenleaf »