Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL protruding screw pain.  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Fraps86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL protruding screw pain.
« on: October 05, 2012, 01:51:49 PM »
Hi, I ruptured my ACL 18 months and had an Hamstring Tendon Graft Reconstruction of the ACL exactly a year ago.

I am still really struggling with this injury and to be honest feel a little let down my the NHS. (This is another story)

Anyway, I still get alot of pain from the area where the hamstring was harvested and where the lower screw is. Recently (after suspecting for a while) had it confirmed that the screw is protruding and this seems to be one of the main sources of pain. (Although not the only)

In recent months the pain seems to be getting worse and really affecting my motivation to work out.

I have read a bit about people getting the screw removed and that it is apparantly a relatively minor surgery, but when I suggested this to the doctor he said it's almost unheard of and he wouldn't even entertain the idea until 2 years post op, because of the risk of the "graft falling to pieces". (In his words)

Its difficult to find information on the net, but from what I've read alot of people have it actually done after about a year?

I was just wondering if anyone had been through a similar experience. Either had it removed and the graft failed or didn't have it removed and the pain went or just generally any advice.

He has sent me back to my pt for some more work, but quite frankly I'm not sure how this will help as it feels like this foregin object is causing the pain.