Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Advice/tips?  (Read 704 times)

Offline sparrowhawk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Advice/tips?
« on: October 03, 2012, 02:06:27 PM »
Hi everyone,

At the end of last year I injured my knee (someone jumped on my legs when they were out straight, and my right knee locked). That caused swelling & pain, so I went to my doctor. Ended up having physio, x-rays, an MRI and being on crutches. The OS I saw told me that my knee would be fine by the middle of this year and that the continuing pain was just the result of swelling behind my kneecap.

Well, the pain's not gone, and the other day I had a serious regression. I think I must have put too much weight on my injured leg, because I fell into intense pain. The pain lessened, but I can no longer walk without discomfort and my right ankle and hip are sore too (the hip to a lesser extent). I'm currently on a study exchange in the US (I'm from Australia) and am living on campus, so after I felt the pain I went to the clinic here. The nurse told me it's possible I've torn a meniscus or done something to my ligaments. The MRI I had back home showed neither of these things, but she said that my knee could just have been irritated and the extra weight could have pushed it over the edge. My knee is paining me at rest too, and the nurse said that's probably because it's so irritated that it needs no movement to send it into spasm. I can have an MRI here, but it would cost me way more than I can afford.

Well, I'm out of action for 2+ weeks, doing the RICE method and taking painkillers. What I really want to know is:

- Is there any gentle exercise I can do that's good for the knee?
- Are there any ways of helping my ankle pain? It feels uncomfortable pretty much 24/7.
Injury to right knee '11.
Diagnosed patella effusion & prob. sprain '12.
Re-injured knee '12. Suspected meniscus tear/MCL injury. Pain cleared.
Re-injured knee '14. OS suspected meniscus tear. MRI shows effusion, small plica & chrondomalacia patellae. No evident meniscus injury, likely MCL sprain.

Offline eaglesgirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Advice/tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 04:05:29 AM »
Sorry to hear about your injury and discomfort. Have you actaully seen a doctor here in the US? Not a nurse but a Orthopedic Doc? The reason I ask is becuase u may have some serious knee issues going on and the more u delay could be adding further damage to your knee. Two years ago I injured my knee kick boxing, went to see the doc and he took MRI and said it just a knee sprain. My knee still caused me great pain afterwards. Fast tfoward to this year i have a new OS who said the problem was more than a strain it was a torn acl, and part menicus tear.
If u can try to ger a second opinion. I know u said u are in the US for school on a Visa but u may qualiffy for some type of goverment medical aide.

I did hear that some types of yoga may be benifical to some leg injuries,
Hope this helps good luck and keep us posted on your status  :)

Offline sparrowhawk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Advice/tips?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:23:51 PM »
Hi! Thanks so much for your response - it was helpful!

I haven't seen an OS. The pain in my knee is not as severe as it was last week, but it's still aching a bit. I think icing and elevation have helped. My ankle is causing me more issues, it hurts most of the day. Painkillers help sometimes...but not with the pain that comes with movement.

The nurse I saw told me to wear a knee brace until I'm pain free. I might have to wear it my whole time here. In regards to seeing an OS, she told me that I should wait at least two weeks and if things don't improve significantly to have an MRI. I would really, really love to get this cleared up, but the main thing holding me back is that the MRI would cost me around $1500. I just don't have that kind of money. I'm insured, but because this was a pre-existing problem I'm not sure I'd be covered. In my country, an MRI would cost around $500 at the most.

I was thinking I could try cycling at one point. I did it a while back and it wasn't too bad for me.
Injury to right knee '11.
Diagnosed patella effusion & prob. sprain '12.
Re-injured knee '12. Suspected meniscus tear/MCL injury. Pain cleared.
Re-injured knee '14. OS suspected meniscus tear. MRI shows effusion, small plica & chrondomalacia patellae. No evident meniscus injury, likely MCL sprain.