Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACI and ACL Recon Concerns  (Read 711 times)

Offline rtrider

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACI and ACL Recon Concerns
« on: October 02, 2012, 06:32:20 PM »
First time poster here and let me start by saying that there is a lot of useful information I have found on this forum! Although I haven't seen anything posted yet that relates to the question I have, which doesn't mean it isn't out there. So, that being said, I apologize if this is a duplicate posting and I will keep this short and to the point.
I met with my OS yesterday to discuss my surgery date in the next few months. First stage will be removing hardware from a 2002 tibeal plateau fracture and at the same time, scope around in there to see if I am a candidate (48 yrs old) for ACI. After letting the holes from the hardware heal up strong (he says about 6-8 wks) he will then perform the ACI and ACL Recon together. Now, my question is this; I have been researching recovery/rehab times for both types of surgery but have yet to come across anyone who has had both at the same time. My OS says that he would have me back to work (I am a police officer) within four months. But from everything I am reading about ACI, the recovery time for that surgery alone could be longer than the ACL recovery. So, has anyone experienced both these procedures at the same time and will one hinder the recovery time of the other? It seems they each have different recommendations as far as WB and types of rehab excercises that contaradict each other. Obviously I will have this conversation as well with my OS prior to scheduling surgery, but I wanted to reach out to you guys first to get a feel of what everyone has experienced.

Thx!

Offline kneeproblems:(

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACI and ACL Recon Concerns
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 06:47:18 AM »
hey mate,

I didn't have my ACL recon and MACI (very similar procedure to ACI) together but I did have them about 9 month apart (ACL recon first). They are both significant operations and in terms of my experience with them I have had mixed results. My knee definately feels better than it did before the operations although I am still a long way away from high impact activities such as running and probs will not play sport again. Having the two operations together will definately complicate the rehab and from this working with an experience physio/pt is best. Just be sure what you are getting into, all the best for the decision.

support