Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: mpfl recon and lateral release on 12/10/12  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Steve 78

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
mpfl recon and lateral release on 12/10/12
« on: September 29, 2012, 06:33:55 PM »
Hi im about to have a mpfl recon and lateral release surgery on 12 oct at solihull hospital west midlands
mr james arbhnut is doing my surgery who ive found to be specialized in all forms of knee  surgery i have been seeing him for the last 2 years he started me off in pt first but when that didt work he did a arthscope debribment in jan this year and found problems in my knee which was fibrous medial-resected
area of synovitis over the anterior medial fat pad-resected area of degenertive patella cartilage that was stabilized with the radio freq tool and finally lateral patella subluxation and mal tracking bit of a mouthful i know . now being a builder this has't been good for me this year as since i had the op in jan i have't been able to go back to work for nearly 10 months ive been taking x2 50mg tramadol x4 times a day with paracetemal aswell which kind of numbs the pain but you know it is still there but when my knee sublxes every time i bend it sends a painfull shockwave through my whole left leg so i hope this op will sort me out because im not getting much sleepat night but reading on here it seems to be 50-50 with what to expect
after so im a bit nervous about it i hope im not in that much pain after

Offline Ouchy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: mpfl recon and lateral release on 12/10/12
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:36:35 AM »
Hi!

You've got a rather complicated knee going on there! I had a arthroscopy in June 2011 with a patellar debridement and a lateral release, that didn't help much so on the 21st of August this year I had an MPFLr with a fantastic surgeon down in Cornwall.

The first thing is that it sounds like your confident in your surgeon, that's fantastic, so many people end up seeing someone who just doesn't understand their problem but it sounds like your guy has explained your knee to you well.

I don't know how much you've been told about your MPFLr but I didn't know too much about the recovery before the op so it was a bit of a steep learning curve afterwards. Have a look at this link, I found it to be a really good explanation and pretty good in terms of what to expect for rehab afterwards: http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/pdf/MPFL_oct101.pdf

Have you been told if you'll be in a brace or not afterwards? I wasn't because my surgeon doesn't think they're necessary, I was told the graft was really strong straight away (I had hamstring tendon put in) and they had me bending it to 90 degrees before I even left the hospital. I'm 6 weeks post op now and I've had full bend and extension from 4 weeks which my surgeon is thrilled with. I'm also fully weight bearing as of about 3-4 weeks, but very very slowly!

I will warn you that you are likely to be in shed loads of pain after the operation, but it will get better! I was in hospital for 4 days after my op and on morphine for 3 of them, after that I came down to a strong dose of codeine with diclofenac and paracetamol, and now I'm pretty much down to over the counter painkillers and everyday the pain gets that little bit less.

So far I've found the results of the op to be good, my knee seems much more stable and hasn't subluxed once (it used to go every time I straightened it out, so every other step!), so that is a major improvement!

One thing I've found, which sounds obvious but apparently loads of people don't do, is that you have to be majorly strict with your physiotherapy afterwards. Like you I had been struggling for a while before the op (crutches and braces and then more braces for 2 years) and my muscles were pretty wasted even going into it. I was told to do hourly exercises and I have been religiously, and everyone is really impressed, physios and surgeon, with the progress I've made so far. Don't get me wrong, in the days and weeks after the op the physio HURT, but the results I'm seeing already make it well worth it.

You mentioned sleeping at night, don't be disheartened when your sleep quality is awful for the first month or so because it will be, just battle on through because again it will get better. If you can ice your leg for an hour or two before bed it really helps you get to sleep initially, and make sure you keep on top of your pain relief, theres nothing worse than sleeping through your 1am does and waking up and 5am in agony!

Anyway, long post! If you have any questions or just want to chat please just ask.

Claire
2001-2010 - Multiple dislocations of both patellas
October 2010 - R patella dislocation during first aid training!
June 2011 - R arthroscopy with lateral release & debridement
August 2012 - R MPFLr

Offline Steve 78

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »
Thanks for that Clare I'm glad it's going well for you I hope I'm as good as you,
Right now I'm lying in bed with a ice pack on both of my knees I'm starting to get the same pain in my other knee
Which is doing my nut in please let me know how your rehab goes

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:38:47 PM »
Steve

I know nothing about MPFLr apart from diaries I have read on here but I grew up in Solihull so am wishing you all the best from one native of the town to another dweller. Your other knee may well be hurting because you're over compensating for the weaker one and making the good leg do a lot more work. It isn't unusual for people to find their good knee starts hurting because of the extra load it takes. Make sure you get good crutch advice so you are protecting the good knee. I know when my left knee was really bad my right started hurting because everything I normally did with both knees was being done by the good one.

Good luck and I'll give you a wave as I pass by the hospital.

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

support