Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any Evidence That Chrondroitin Can be Linked to High Cholesterol Levels?  (Read 976 times)

Offline wonkyknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I'm not sure if anybody will be able to help me but I thought it was worth a shot as I have used this forum before and found it most useful.
I am taking a chrondroitin supplement ( 500mg) per day for problems with my knee and that along with using an exercise bike for ten minutes each day is really doing the trick and I cannot remember the last time that I had to take any form of painkiller for my knee. I have been doing both of these things for three years now
I recently went for a cholesterol level check and was amazed to find that whilst my level was 149 six years ago it was 245 this time which is 20 points over teh higher level for normality ( I know the way of measuring is different in the UK). My diet is actually much better than it was six years ago and I hardly have any of 'the bad foods' so I cannot understand why there is this increase.
I have been trawling the internet ( as you do) and have found a couple of places where it states that chrondroitin can lead to raised levels of cholesterol but also found sites that say it reduces levels.
I was just wondering if any users had had a similar experience to me and they could link it to their use of chrondroitin.
My doctor has just said that I should not eat fats!!
I look forward to receiving your replies but I do understand that this is not teh normal type of question to be asked on here and am not really sure that it actually is a 'knee problem'.
Many thanks in advance.

Offline wonkyknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Any Evidence That Chrondroitin Can be Linked to High Cholesterol Levels?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 07:52:58 PM »
Just wanted to update this post.
I have today been to see my GP who was horrified that I have been taking chondroitin for over 3 years now without a break. She said that it should not be taken for more than six months in any one year. You can either take it for 3 months and then have 3 months off and repeat or take it for six and have six months off according to her. Strangely enough the orthopod who first prescribed it never told me this.
I stopped taking the chondroitin at the beginning of October and have now been given a form for a blood test at the beginning of January to see whether my cholesterol level has dropped as a result of not taking the supplement.
I will report back with my findings.

Offline DG3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 05:24:32 AM »
So how's the knee been since you dropped the chondroitin?

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 05:22:51 AM »
Wonkyknee,

As DG3 requested...I would be very curious if your cholesterol numbers dropped since October??  I can relate to your frustration at your OS not saying anything about taking the chondroitin for long periods of time.....I was diagnosed as being infected and OS#2 put me on Vancomycin thru a pic line into my heart as an antibiotic.  I guess he was nervous when the cultures for infection were negative after he removed a perfectly uninfected joint so he just ignored me for nearly 14 wks.  My OS#3 freaked out when he found out I was on this strong antibiotic for more than the recommended six (6) wks.

I had no idea....the home care treatment nurses kept sending me bottles of the stuff each week and tested my blood work every week...but no one said anything.  I am now on oral antibiotics for life they tell me......my immune system is degraded and so when I tried to stop taking the antibiotics I contracted severe pneumonia twice and ended up in I.C.U.

So, anytime you are given something I have learned to ask the recommended maximum time it can be prescribed.  Also, there are many natural supplements you can take to help reduce your cholesterol.....besides having the Statins prescribed.  Fish Oil is one I know off the top of my head....if you go to a vitamin outlet they will suggest things to take.

Also, of course your GP will have recommendations.  I could go on with suggestions.....but simply believe I should have been reading surgical reports and doctors notes on anything done to me.  I made so many mistakes and although some really nice people helped me here....I made so many major mistakes before learning the errors of my ways.  Question everything....and you might call your OS and ask him what he was thinking??

Good luck and let us know how the last test comes out!

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR
11  TKR  AF diagosis
12/11  HO diagnosed
2012  Intractable Pain
2012  OS split
amputation possible?

Offline captainruss

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 05:24:23 AM »
Wonky,

Hey...one other thing.....you need to make 20 posts before you can post Private Messages (PM)'s.  If you send 20 posts or go to the game section and take care of that, you can ask private questions.

No one told me that and so I had no way of asking direct private questions. 

Russ
80 Shattered patella 5 surg
09  TKR 
09  MUA
09  MUA
09  Knee infected??
10  TKR  Scar Tissue
10  2nd OS  Diagnosis Infection
10  TKR with antibiotic spacer, no joint
4/11  TKR
11  TKR PT
11  TKR