Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Medial Patellomeniscal Ligament (MPML) Plication  (Read 12216 times)

Offline destinycrane

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • Fall down 7 times. Get up 8.
Medial Patellomeniscal Ligament (MPML) Plication
« on: September 27, 2012, 12:35:32 AM »
Starting this diary early, my surgery is Friday. I didn't do one for my last knee surgery and I regret it.

My story:
I've always had knee problems since 6th grade, never went to the doctor. I finally started to wear those walgreens knee braces my freshmen year for soccer. My sophomore year, I hurt my knee in a game and the trainer set up an appointment with an OS. I had a sprained knee. I went back every month and my pain got worst. He set me up with physical therapy and it didn't help. He ordered an MRI of both knees, and nothing showed up that would cause my pain. Finally he decided to do an exploratory scope on December 19, 2011, he found meniscus tears, which he trimmed off, and plica. my post op appointment and PT was the next day. I was on crutches off and on for a month, my knee would give out when I'd try to walk. Then on January 17, I had my knee aspirated due to swelling that never went away, it was bloody. I continued going to PT, my ROM came back slowly, finally a few months later, they sort of kicked me out because there was nothing else for them to do for me. I then go a gym membership. Then my left knee started to sublux a ton (my right knee did, but not as much) One day in class it dislocated, I went to the doctor, he touched my knee and ordered to get off crutches and gave me a horseshoe patella knee brace. It still subluxed when it was on. I got a Breg Fusion XT OA knee brace because I thought I was playing soccer my senior year. After I got it, he said that there was nothing else he can for me. I went for a physical for my regular doctor and he wouldn't clear me. I got an appointment with my new OS, Dr. Seth on 9-20. I got xrays done, he examined my knee and told me my newest MRI wouldn't show my pain. He said said my knee caps are in the wrong spot? and that in surgery he could tighten up some loose things. He told me I could play soccer, but my mom doesn't want me to, so we scheduled surgery for this Friday.

I can go to school Monday if I feel up to it. My time on crutches will depend on how much they do. PT will be discussed at my postop appointment. They will call me tomorrow with an arrival time.
The nurse told me on the paper she got it said MPML looseness, and a MPML plication will be done. I have no idea what that is, and I can't find much online.

This is my right knee before surgery. I have no idea why my knee cap is to the left, I took this at my sister's house, looked down, and there it was. It's not like this now.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 12:37:11 AM by destinycrane »
17 years old
08-10 diagnosed w/ PFPS, runners knee/Osgood-Schlatters Disease
12/11 Exploratory R knee scope
09/12 R MPML Plication
12/12 L MPML Plication
-kneecaps still sublux

Offline destinycrane

• Regular Poster
Re: Medial Patellomeniscal Ligament (MPML) Plication
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 04:49:39 PM »
9/28 Friday
I got to the hospital at 4:45. We waited till 5:20 to be taken back to the same day surgery area. I got to room number 4 and changed into my gown. A nurse came a little later and asked me a bunch of questions. She put Iodine on my leg and wrapped it up. She put some blood clot thing that hooked up to a machine (I guess during surgery) on. Then the IV came. She tried it on my right hand, without a numbing shot, and she said my valves werenít opening. So she got another nurse to do it on my arm and I got a numbing shot, and she also said they werenít opening, but they left it. I was hooked up to fluids. We waited for awhile. Then the anesthesiologist came and talked to me. He was a man, and talked very fast. He said I would be getting the medicine through IV and that I would also be getting a femoral nerve block. I had no idea what that was so he explained it. Right after that they wheeled me to the OR waiting. I got put on the recovery side, i donít know why, he gave me some sedation, which didnt make me tired. They undid my gown and put the patches on my chest. Then they gave me like a shot I guess for the femoral nerve block by my hip/groin and my leg started uncontrollably moving. After that he gave me more stuff through IV, he didnt know why I wasnít getting tired. My doctor came and signed my leg. And I was so happy for this part, I actually got to experience being wheeled to the OR! We got there and it was so sterile and cold. I moved to the other table. I seen a dry erase board with my name, right knee, and MPML plication. They strapped my arms down, he put something in my IV and I was out! I woke up in the same place I was before, OR recovery. My pain was very bad. I got morphine through the IV. I remember the nurse saying that I was confused. She kept saying dont worry about your arm. After that I got put back into my preop room. She told is that I had an allergic reaction to morphine, and I had a rash on my arm. I stayed in there for awhile. Still in a ton of pain! Iím guessing that nerve block didnt work. I stayed in there for about 1 hour to 2 hours. I asked the nurse if i could see the pictures. The doctor told my family that my patella was very loose and he put 3 sutures in it, which is why im NWB. Changing was horrible! I could barely put my underwear and shorts on. I waited for a wheelchair and that was horrible too lol, the car ride home I sat in the front which was so painful.

I am NWB for 2 weeks. I have my post op appointment on October 15. I can take the dressings off Sunday. I guess PT will be discussed on the 15th. Iím not in a brace.

9/29 Saturday
Sleeping last night was horrible. I had to stay on my back. (For my last surgery I could kind of sleep on my side/back but not this one) I got up every 4 hours if I wasn't already up to take my lortab. This morning I got up to pee and I couldn't pick my leg off the floor so I could crutch. It was just too much pain. So I lightly placed it in front of my crutches and moved it forward while I crutched. I am having a ton of medial pain, even just laying here. I've been icing 24/7, I can't really feel it though. The nerve block wore off.

Does anyone know how to take a shower of you can't put weight on your leg?
(I'm on my phone so I can't post pictures)
17 years old
09/12 R MPML Plication
12/12 L MPML Plication
-kneecaps still sublux

Offline Teacher2Many

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 12:08:09 AM »
As for the shower, invest in the purchase of a shower chair.  The transfer bench ones (the longer shower chairs that have two legs that go in the tub and two out) worked better for me as I could sit on the edge and just swing my legs into the tub (vs trying to get into the tub without putting weight and then sit).  Then you can sit and shower and do the opposite to get out-swing the legs out and then get up.  All is doable without putting weight on it, just takes some practice, time, and patience! 
6/07-L TTT & LR
6/08-R TTT & LR
6/09-Bilateral ACI
7/10-R derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, LPFL reconstruction
6/11-L derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, R hardware removal
1/12-L tibial hardware removed, R scapulectomy
4/12-L femoral hardware removed
7/12-L & R MPFL reconstruction

Offline destinycrane

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 12:59:41 AM »
@teacher2many is it worth it to buy one if its only for 2 weeks? Is there any other way to take one without getting a chair?
17 years old
09/12 R MPML Plication
12/12 L MPML Plication
-kneecaps still sublux

Offline Teacher2Many

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 01:36:36 AM »
Well, in my opinion, I would say yes in that it's worth it.  Maybe just don't invest in a really great one.  But keep in mind that you may need it longer than the two week mark depending on how recovery goes or for those days when you're just too sore/too tired to stand (trust me, there are days during rehab when the thought of taking a shower seems too much) and depending on what the doc says, you might only be partial weight bearing after that two week mark and do you really want to be standing in a wet shower without being able to put your foot down flat or to be able to catch yourself with your leg if you slip; not worth the risk of damaging the surgical procedure.

Not sure where you live but you might be able to 'rent' one from your local community agency (ie in my town we have a nurse that has equipment to rent/borrow, gives immunizations/baby check-ups to those who can't afford to see a doc, etc.).  And as bad as it is to say, you may end up needing more surgery down the road so if you bought it, you could just store it and use it later on.

The first major surgery I had I just did without and then the second and third major ones I borrowed the one my grandparents had and then invested in the transfer bench which came in handy for the fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh ones (and will use it again when the hip is fixed).  You might be able to get one off of e-bay or the like as well.

Long story short, worth the investment in my book.  But if not, an outdoor plastic patio chair might work as well, just not as sturdy to use to brace yourself with.
6/07-L TTT & LR
6/08-R TTT & LR
6/09-Bilateral ACI

Offline destinycrane

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 03:19:52 AM »
@teache2many

I just did it, without one, and it was a horrible experience. My sister, her husband, her friend, and her friends boyfriend helped me. They put my leg in a garbage back and tape the top. They put a step stool in the tub. I sat on the edge and put my left leg in. Then I stood up leaning on my crutch.  Someone took my leg and tried to put it down, but it won't bend and there wasn't enought room. So they got my nephews bumbo (sitting thing for babies) put it upside down and we lowered my leg on to it. I took my shirt and bra off before the water turned on. Then I took a shower with my shorts and stuff still on. After I was done I put my clean clothes on, left my wet bottoms on. They all came back in and I moved myself to the edge and someone took my bad leg and lowered it to the ground and then I got my bottoms on

Many tears and selective words came out lol. I have no idea how I will do this when I go back home tomorrow.
17 years old
09/12 R MPML Plication
12/12 L MPML Plication
-kneecaps still sublux

Offline Teacher2Many

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 03:27:21 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear that!  I know how hard it is and how frustrating it is to not be able to do the simplest thing like take a shower by yourself.  Those are days I wish to not relive!  I do think the transfer bench will help-you can undress, sit on the edge, and on your own time based on your pain, swing that leg in, scoot over and shower.  I usually prop the foot/feet of my bad leg/legs on the edge of the tub as the knee won't always bend in a typical sitting position and propping it usually helps. 

It takes time to figure out a method that works and then there are days with increased pain/swelling so there are minor setbacks but it does get better!  Hang in there!
6/07-L TTT & LR
6/08-R TTT & LR
6/09-Bilateral ACI

Offline destinycrane

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 02:02:45 PM »
@teacher2many
Thank you so much for replying. I think my grandparents have a shower chair for one of their moms at their house. I will have to ask

Do you or anyone else have any idea on why I can't crutch normally? I could the day of surgery, but since then, I have to drag my foot forward and crutch. My leg feels like a dead weight, I try as hard as I can to pick it up and bend it slightly to crutch, and I can't. For me to get off the couch, I have to pull my leg up with my hands and move it to the floor.

I have school tomorrow and i can't drag my foot everywhere.
17 years old
09/12 R MPML Plication
12/12 L MPML Plication
-kneecaps still sublux

Offline Teacher2Many

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 10:31:38 PM »
What do you mean when you state 'drag your foot forward'?  Does this mean you can't pick your foot up to swing your leg forward?  You may need a height adjustment with your crutches, especially if you are wearing shoes (I found this to be helpful after one of my surgeries-the height was fine in the house but as soon as I put shoes on, even if it was just flip flops, the height was off.  I moved it up to the next notch and was fine both with and without shoes).

How is your foot otherwise?  Can you pick it up if you're sitting in a chair or if you're on the couch, can you point your toes down and then back up?

As for lifting the leg to get it off the couch, pretty typical post-op.  Your quads shut down rather quickly from pain and swelling and the quads are what's needed to lift the leg.  I still find myself helping my leg out a bit, such as getting in/out of the car and had a ton of help during those first few weeks after all surgeries.  For me to be independent (which I always strive for), I would flip one crutch upside down, prop my foot on the inside of the part that goes under your arm, and lift it that way to get on/off the couch, in/out of bed, etc.  Sometimes lifting it with my arm felt like I was going to drop it or I just couldn't get the angle right but when I used the crutch, it was great.
6/07-L TTT & LR
6/08-R TTT & LR
6/09-Bilateral ACI

Offline destinycrane

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 10:51:56 PM »
I try to pick my leg up slightly off the ground, so I can crutch, I did it after surgery, but since then I couldn't do it. When I try, if I can, the medial side of my knee gets really tight. So I either have to drag it behind me or drag it forward and crutch. I will try to put them higher and see if it works, because I can't drag my foot around at school!

I can't pick my leg up at all on it's own, sitting down, laying down, anything. I have to move it manually for anything, or I get someone else to do it. I can barely point my toes, and when I try, it's a ton of pain. I also can't elevate my leg, even if it's on one pillow, my knee gets really tight on the medial side.

Any reason why my calf would start to hurt? It started this morning. It's numbish/tingling and a constant pain/throbbing.

I took off the bandages today. I'm going to be leaving the ace wrap on for school (7:20-2:30). Anyone think I can make it all day with just 1 lortab in the morning and no icing?

*update, my calf is starting to hurt more than my knee. It's a constant pain and tender to the touch. Could It be a blood clot? What do I do?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 02:44:27 AM by destinycrane »
17 years old
09/12 R MPML Plication
12/12 L MPML Plication
-kneecaps still sublux

Offline destinycrane

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 01:36:35 PM »
9/30
I realized that I couldn't stay at my house if I didn't have someone helping me, or that I knee if I needed something, then I would have help. A few things happened and now  back at my sisters, which is around 30 minutes away.
I'm not going to school today, which is really (10/1). I still can't pick my leg up to crutch. I'm hoping I can tomorrow. Shin and knee are still in a lot of pain. I'm taking lortab every 4 hours, expect at night, then when I wake up I'll take one if its been long enough
17 years old
09/12 R MPML Plication
12/12 L MPML Plication
-kneecaps still sublux

Offline destinycrane

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 12:53:15 AM »
10/2
Went to the doctor today, the whole house woke up sick. I've had a fever all day, highest was 101.9. I'm going to get an ultra sound on my calf tomorrow to check for a blood clot. Knee still hurts, and its staring to itch.
17 years old
09/12 R MPML Plication
12/12 L MPML Plication
-kneecaps still sublux

Offline Teacher2Many

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 01:48:48 AM »
First...hope you feel better!  Being sick during recovery truly s*cks!

Keep us posted on the ultrasound results.  Blood clots are nothing to mess with so the sooner it's either diagnosed or ruled out, the better.  I did wonder that when you said about the calf pain and tenderness.  Hopefully it's not the issue but if so, know they're easily treated with injections and oral meds. 
6/07-L TTT & LR
6/08-R TTT & LR
6/09-Bilateral ACI

Offline destinycrane

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 01:42:18 PM »
@teacher2many
Thank you! I feel better today! Yesterday was horrible! My regular doctor said he doesn't think it is a blood clot, but he wants to be positive it's not. My calf sometimes hurts more than my knee!

5 days post op. my sister and my brother n law went to work today, so i washed my hair in the sink. I have missed 3 days of school, i plan on going back tomorrow. I am still taking lortab every 4 hours. My sister called my doctor yesterday and I can start taking 2 every 4 hours because of my pain. My doctor never told me to bend my knee, so I haven't. I am keeping my ace wrap on, to help with swelling, and to remind myself not to bear weight.

**We cancelled the ultrasound. I don't have a fever any more and it doesn't hurt as bad.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:36:40 PM by destinycrane »
17 years old
09/12 R MPML Plication
12/12 L MPML Plication
-kneecaps still sublux

Offline destinycrane

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 12:51:27 PM »
First day of school in 3 days. I have missed 3 tests and a quiz
I took a lortab when I woke up and I will take another one when I leave, that will be my last one till I leave.
I'm really scared someone will hit my knee, so I'm wearing this black ice wrap (with no ice in it) over my ace wrap, so people see it and if someone does hit it, there's a little padding.

Wish me luck :(

School was horrible. I forgot how exhausting crutching around school was. I took a lortab when I woke up at 6 then another one before I left at 7. I WAS IN SO MUCH PAIN ALL DAY. I'll just call my dad tomorrow if I need medicine. This morning i asked my sister to get my leg out the car and i forgot to remind her to bring my leg all the way to the ground, so halfway in the air, she dropped it. i cursed so loudly. My doctor never told me to bend my leg, so I'm not and when I was crutching back to my sisters car to go home, my foot on my bad leg got caught under me and my knee kind of bent, I was almost in tears.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:18:16 PM by destinycrane »
17 years old
09/12 R MPML Plication
12/12 L MPML Plication
-kneecaps still sublux

support