Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post ACL replacement and Medial Meniscus repair surgery question.  (Read 956 times)

Offline Paddleback

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello,
I had my ACL replaced using my own hamstring tendon and my damaged Meniscus was able to be repaired and not removed. I had the surgery done at the end of 6/2012 so just over 7 months ago. I did physical therapy for about 3 months after the surgery until I was capable of managing my own workouts at my regular gym (also due to insurance issues). It has been healing well and I am not too worried about this but I have recently got a new job as a waiter where I am on my feet walking all day and I had also been moving more weight around at the gym then previously, but my knee did end up quite swollen and am having to really focus on not limping and walking properly. Any ways, I've been icing it several times a day and taking it easy on it in then gym. It seems to be improving, but does this sound pretty regular? Any ways, just wanted some thoughts on this, is there any concerns?

Aj9646

Re: Post ACL replacement and Medial Meniscus repair surgery question.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 09:10:27 PM »
Hey,

I suggest you refer back to your OS for clarification. I'm not sure you can make it any better. I'm too new at knee injury. Sounds like you are doing everything right though but being on your feet all day an cause the feet to swell, in your case your injured knee.
Good luck.
AJ

Offline soccer_knee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Post ACL replacement and Medial Meniscus repair surgery question.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:32:54 PM »
Your injury has not completed the healing process. It will take a full year until your graft will be fully incorporated and vascularized. Hamstring is very slow to incorporate. You should ice it daily independently if it is swollen or not for a full year. Problem is that you have daily legwork. I read from one of the known sports doctors that in his protocol, the football player after ACRr must not work his leg 2 days on a row even after return to games, for a full year. So, footballer who returns to games in 1/2 year is still doing procedures on his knee for another half year minimum.

support