Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Osteotomy and Meniscus Transplant  (Read 1593 times)

Offline villafup

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Osteotomy and Meniscus Transplant
« on: September 26, 2012, 06:38:37 PM »
My doctor wants to do an HTO on me.  Eventually he'll take the plate out and do a meniscus transplant. 

Has anyone had this done?  it seems like such a long road.  Should I just opt for a knee replacement?  I'm only 42 ...

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 402
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Osteotomy and Meniscus Transplant
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 07:20:27 PM »
Look for posts by WonkeyDonkey, Contractorarsenal and Guam for recent HTO tales - no meniscus transplants though
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Rothera

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 08:46:38 PM »
I'm going to speak on behalf of a good friend of mine who had a HTO and meniscus transplant last June. He is doing brilliantly well and was only of work for around 4 weeks. He's a keen cyclist and is now back doing that as before. Years of crap knees have disappeared for him.

So can't give any personal advice but if he's anything to go by you can make a great recovery.
R
2011 big knee blow out! ACL rupture, lat meniscus rupture, MCL rupture 3rd degree. ACLr June plus meniscus repair. All Failed Sept 2011. Attempted ACLr and MCL Oct. bone cavitation = bone grafting. March 2012ACLr plus MCL graft with allograft. June LOAR. Clot. Wash out.
March 2013 skiing

Offline villafup

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 09:18:53 PM »
Rothera, did your friend to the meniscus transplant and osteotomy at the same time?  My doctor wants to do the osteotomy first.  We'll wait for that to heal for a few months.  Then he'll take out the osteotomy plate and do the meniscus transplant at the same time.

Offline pennstatexc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 05:12:19 PM »
Read my posts! I pretty much did what you are contemplating.  What can I help you out with?
Joel Moceri
'11 Rt. Knee Medial Meniscal Repair
'12 Rt. Leg Open Wedge HTO
'12 Rt. Knee Medial Meniscus Transplant & Osteochondral Allograft Transplantation

Offline pabsv

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 01:24:30 AM »
pennstatexc, I'm seeing Dr. Wickiewicz at HSS as well.  It seems like you had a good experience with him.  And it seems like he wants to do the the exact same procedure on me as he did on you.

How far along are you now?  Are you happy you did it?  I'm actually really afraid of getting it done -- both the recovery and the thought of a knee replacement down the road doesn't fill me with joy ...

Offline pennstatexc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 05:12:35 PM »
Dr. Wick is excellent and again specializes in doing these type of surgeries.  HSS is rated #1, and I only have great things to say about their entire operation.  I am on Day 11 from my meniscus and cartilage transplant and am quite surprised how comfortable I am feeling at this point.  Again, I am not doing anything major and cannot for another few weeks but the pain is minimal.  Having the metal plate removed eventually is the way to go no doubt...again much more comfortable.  Since I was still having knee issues, something the HTO does not address directly, I cannot say I noticed any major difference.  Doing that as part of the meniscus and cartilage transplant process though, it definitely makes sense.  I am happy I did both, and trust me you don't want to go with a knee replacement at your age.  You should definitely do a meniscus transplant first and go that route before you consider the artificial route.  Knee replacements while forecasted to increase I think will become obsolete at some point.  There is so much research going into arthritis, and meniscus transplants are the first major breakthrough in combatting those symptoms successfully in most...despite an average lifespan of 10 years or so with the new meniscus (there are no trackable results beyond 10 years though).

Hope this helps!  I was able to do my meniscus and cartilage transplant 5 months out from my HTO.

Here is my current blog on my most recent surgery that will surely help you out eventually! http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=60822.0
Joel Moceri
'11 Rt. Knee Medial Meniscal Repair
'12 Rt. Leg Open Wedge HTO
'12 Rt. Knee Medial Meniscus Transplant & Osteochondral Allograft Transplantation

support