Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Kinespring operation  (Read 80363 times)

Offline Apleyboy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: Kinespring operation
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2012, 02:43:58 PM »
A very Nice Lady from Moximed as just Visited which i Thought was very Nice Touch all okay and home tommorrow

Offline noni3650

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2012, 01:47:10 AM »
I am so happy to find this site.  I am in the US and am considering the Kinespring clinical trial for my right knee.  One thing that is different here is that they are doing it as an outpatient procedure...no hospital stay.  They are going to do a nerve block which should alleviate the need to stay in the hospital.  But it does make me a bit weary since the hospital is over 2 hours from my home.  Hmmm.  I look forward to following each of your progress!  If I go forward with this I will post here as well.  ~Noni

Offline Wobbley Chester

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2012, 01:55:00 AM »
Noni, I just had one implanted in Portland, OR.  I'd be happy to answer any questions if I can!

Offline noni3650

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2012, 01:11:16 AM »
Hey Wobbley Chester fellow west coaster!  Do you live in Portland?  I'm in Eugene.  You must be Dr. Crawfords first patient for this clinical trial...?  What day was your surgery on?  I'm curious how it went for you as an out patient since it seems like other places (& countries) do this as an in patient procedure.  Did you feel comfortable going home?  I'm nervous about the nerve block.  How big are your incisions?  Do you have much swelling?  Tell me everything!  :) please.  I'm 44, female, with no cartilage/meniscus on the medial side of my right knee.  I had one arthroscopic procedure when I was 17.  That said I am no stranger to knee issues.  My left knee has had a rare disease which required - 1 arthroscope, 1 open anterior synovecomy only to end in a TKR last year.  It is kind of exciting to 'meet' someone else in the same clinical trial as I hope to be in!

Offline Wobbley Chester

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2012, 02:29:54 AM »
Hey Wobbley Chester fellow west coaster!  Do you live in Portland?  I'm in Eugene.  You must be Dr. Crawfords first patient for this clinical trial...?  What day was your surgery on?  I'm curious how it went for you as an out patient since it seems like other places (& countries) do this as an in patient procedure.  Did you feel comfortable going home?  I'm nervous about the nerve block.  How big are your incisions?  Do you have much swelling?  Tell me everything!  :) please.  I'm 44, female, with no cartilage/meniscus on the medial side of my right knee.  I had one arthroscopic procedure when I was 17.  That said I am no stranger to knee issues.  My left knee has had a rare disease which required - 1 arthroscope, 1 open anterior synovecomy only to end in a TKR last year.  It is kind of exciting to 'meet' someone else in the same clinical trial as I hope to be in!

Yes, I am the one! (Lion King Theme Song)  I live in Milwaukie, just SE of Portland.  Surgery was on Friday last week.  I too raised concerns with not staying overnight since everything I too read indicated overnight, sometimes mulitiple night, stays at the hospital.  As you'll find out, the procedure is very short and non-invasive (Avg. surgery time of 72 min in other studies).  I'm sure it would depend on the patient, but it sounds like your and my age, and current health, would lean towards an same day procedure given such a short surgery time.

The nerve block is an amazing contribution to medicine, and it worked amazingly.  You still feel discomfort, pain and stiffness from the trauma of the surgery..but it is much more tolerated.  Overall, the pain isn't bad at all (compared to mensical transplants!).

My incisions were like the photos posted on kneeguru from the other kinespring implant patient.  Swelling is present, but not that bad.  I have great range of motion early on, and being 4 days out, I can walk without crutches.  Overall, so far the worst part is first thing in the morning due to the stiffness and aching.  It's really hard to tell at this point if the original symptoms are present when I walk, given the stiffness and aching from the surgery site.  I think things are going great so far.

Go for it!  Everything I've read would lead me to believe this would help increase your quality of life by decreasing pain.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Wobbley Chester

Offline Wobbley Chester

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2012, 02:38:07 AM »
How big are your incisions? 

Bendzeknees has some great photos posted earlier in this discussion.

Offline Apleyboy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2012, 06:19:52 AM »
Well Here we are 1week Post op And home, i think the stay in Hospital was more of a Thing from my Dr the be in a controll Environment , it was the First Time at this Hospital. My Main Problem is muscle pain And swelling.
I also had a nerve Block what a Good Invention no Need for Hard Drugs which may Harm other Organs.
I can Walk without Stick but this doesn't help the swelling so it balancing Act
Good Heath to all

Offline dietrichate

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2012, 01:30:25 PM »
Well. I am now exactly one month post op and still struggling to get any significant bend in my knee
I can manage about 60 degrees from straight and my physio can force it to ninety with difficulty.
The restriction is definitely along the side where the spring is implanted, I can only hope that this will continue to improve although it is extremely slow at present.

I will be very interested on any further comments from Bendzeknees as you started this string and will be the furthest along the recovery path, to add some more on your progress

Offline Wobbley Chester

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2012, 06:13:23 PM »
Dietrichate - Hopefully your flexibililty improves.  First thing in the morning is very hard.  I'm finding doing leg raises while laying on my back first thing in the morning helps with getting the muscles warmed up and ready to go...

Day 5 for me.  I have been extremely aggressive with icing and elevation to remove swelling.  It has made a big difference.  Pain level is steadily decreasing, as are functionality and stiffness are slower to respond, but with diligent effort with prescribed exercises these are also improving.  Walking without crutches and no pain meds for two days now.

Wobbley Chester

Offline Apleyboy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2012, 06:04:12 AM »
Wobbely Sound like your doing really well ,
My Dr Joked we me And you only Need to say Operation an my knee is swollen...
I ve got a CPM at home for 6 Weeks (6x30min Daily) so that should help currently at 60deg passive 45 active had a really Good physio yesterday taken a Lot of Fluid Out  so i thin slowly coming Around the corner
We got Alot of Snow Outside which is Keep a Bit restricted on movement but Chin up Keep going ...just three Months we ll all be fit And pain Free

Offline noni3650

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2012, 06:50:26 PM »
Wobbly Chester ~ Thank you for posting all of your info.  I have my pre-op this Thursday and if all goes well the surgery on the 28th.  I've been super nervous about the nerve block and was glad to hear that you had a good experience with it.  Also it's amazing that you are off pain meds!  How much range of motion do you have?  I'm concerned about that especially with the other posts.  :(   But my knee as it is is so painful (also pops, crunches, etc) that my active ROM has diminished anyway.  Good luck everyone with your recovery!  I'm hopeful that this is going to be a great thing for all of us!

Offline Apleyboy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2012, 02:28:11 PM »
Two Weeks Post op , now Looks like a knee the Clips are Out passive movement 85deg. Active 65 ish . I m very happy with Progress so far. The Dr is Also happy Too.
Within the House nö Sticks only Longer distance(more of a mental Block)
Would like to know how bendzieknees is doing?

Offline noni3650

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2012, 05:30:57 PM »
That is awesome ApleyBoy!  Keep posting your progress.

So I am scheduled for this Kinespring surgery next Friday the 28th.  I'm excited and nervous!  I'm no stranger to knee surgeries (I have had PVNS in my other knee - 3 surgeries including TKR in 2011) but this is different and coming up soon!  I am having my surgery with Dr. Crawford at OHSU in Portland, OR same as WobblyChester!  I had all of my pre-op appointments last Thursday and heard you (WC) were there that day for a follow up!  How is your recovery so far?  How is your range of motion?  Pain levels? 

Offline Apleyboy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2012, 05:05:12 PM »
Well 3 1/2 weeks post op, doing okay but is starting to get frustrating, the numb feeling on the shin is starting to go, and cannot yet sleep knee on knee. so kicking around a bit in the night. using a rolled up towel between the legs just above the knees it worked last night..
How are you doing noni ?
 just got to think positive
My plan is next (year) week to do some swimming and start pushing the muscles a bit.  just some more distance walking today so one step forward  8)

Offline Wobbley Chester

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2012, 08:07:09 PM »
Three weeks post op.  Pain and swelling have reduced significantly.  Flexibility is good with consistent stretching and prescribed exercises.

Biggest discomfort is where the soft tissue surrounds the spring.  The discomfort causes sleep problems and aching throughout the day.  I am looking forward to having this area adjust to the implant.

All in all, no arthritic pain with walking!

Happy Holidays,
WC