Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Kinespring operation  (Read 79746 times)

Offline bendzeknees

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Kinespring operation
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 10:27:40 PM »
Thanks for the update - similar experience to me, I must admit I am pretty nervous about the whole thing, Keep the updates coming

I wouldn't be nervous - you have some insight to the process from previous surgery and I would say it has taken about the same time to get over the first phase of post-op as previous knee ops (4 in total). It's uncomfortable in that your leg has very restricted range of movement, but you will be able to hobble around. I can honestly say that it has not been painful, the occasional time when I tried to do too much, too quickly I have brought some pain and additional discomfort on myself. It aches - a lot; for me it was down my tibia. Use crutches, use meds and do the exercises. Beyond day 5/6 things should improve.

At this stage I would say I'm now out of the first phase of post-op. I'm now ready to move on in my physio, ready to drop the crutches, I'm on minimal meds and more importantly the reason I had the surgery has so far been a big success. Keep that in mind. Your doing this to help yourself and hopefully it will be worth it. This is short term for long term gain.

Keep positive, this initial stage will pass quickly.

Offline Apleyboy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 06:13:01 PM »
That the only Thing Keep positive , I had a OATS Op  5 years ago, that was a Long Drag over 6 Months of up And Downs ,now the  area Needs to be Pressure released an external brace works good, but Long Term is either replacemnt knee or kniespring. I`ve taken the kniespring Option as my Dr. Said once the Bone is drilled Out it gone for ever...
6.12 Spring Here we come.

Looks like you`re doing well that give my a positive thought to my plan I ve just Seen a three year Report on the Web for kinespring the result  also look good.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 09:39:39 AM by Apleyboy »

Offline dietrichate

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 12:39:03 PM »
Things are looking promising!! A couple more questions - Can you physically feel the position of the spring under the skin? do you feel the actual movement of it?

Offline bendzeknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 10:06:53 PM »
Been on holiday over the last week.

Yes, I can feel it and see a ridge line where the metalwork is. It is minimal.

I have a problem just now that I feel it too much. Swelling has by and large gone now nut the stiffness around the knee has increased. I have been careful not to overdo exercise and have restricted myself to physio drills, walking and last week some time in a swimming pool though I ended up swimming using one leg. It just didn't feel comfortable trying easy leg moves. I can't make physio tomorrow and will attend on Thursday to go through the problems I'm having and feedback comments.   

At the moment I feel like I've set myself back. A bit disappointed as I was feeling good around 2.5 weeks and the last week has been poor relative to the gradual improvements that were happening.

There is so little to public info available that it is difficult to timeline what should be achieved as the weeks go by.

I'm hoping this is normal and a small setback. Right now it doesn't feel right and I am concerned that there is a problem. The flex I can achieve is worse now, stiffness in knee comes on quickly and I can feel something pinching at the bottom of the operation site as well as just above it. The Kinespring is above the scar line so I'm unsure what I'm feeling further down. 

Will update on Thursday but feel free to fire any questions you have before then.

Offline Apleyboy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 06:30:09 AM »
How is Progress ? My dr is saying Time line is about the Same as Keyhole op , Reading Above i think it Longer?
As you say they is very Little Info Around at the Moment And of Course euch of us are different . But it's hardwhen you Tell you employer Off of 6 Weeks And After it 's Ten Looks like i m going to have to be very Open with them And Lay the cards on the Table

Offline bendzeknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 05:06:04 PM »
How is Progress ? My dr is saying Time line is about the Same as Keyhole op , Reading Above i think it Longer?
As you say they is very Little Info Around at the Moment And of Course euch of us are different . But it's hardwhen you Tell you employer Off of 6 Weeks And After it 's Ten Looks like i m going to have to be very Open with them And Lay the cards on the Table

Timeline is similar in that the time it takes to become reasonably mobile is about the same. Approx 2 weeks. I've had 4 prev keyhole surgeries and they were all the same. To return to full activity take a round 6-8 weeks. Depends on what was being done. I have coached a race group 3 weeks after surgery and I have also been at the 6-8 week stage with one of them as I tried skiing and I simply didn't feel stable or strong and took a while to settle.

Depending on you job/history/fitness etc, I would think 6 weeks is doable. If you are on your feet or quite active then at 6 weeks I reckon you would be limited. I was driving after 8 days, walking approx 1.5-2 miles 2/3 times per week at 14 days post op. No hard and fast rule; that's just me.

I plan to be back skiing within 2 weeks from now which is approx 6 weeks post op.

Offline bendzeknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 05:13:57 PM »
Had a really good physio session today which re-assured me that progress is definitely on track. The problem I have had around lower/inside are of knee is my hamstrings. Due to some stretching when the metal work was put in and the swelling I have had they are very tight. Got a lot of help today stretching them out. Overall progress is a good, no concerns from physio though she is going to consult the surgeon regarding easy onset of stiffness around the knee.

That has given me a boost knowing that everything is ok and problems I have had fit with previous patients. Weeks 2-3 seems to be a key period and previous patients have raised issues around that time frame.

Offline Apleyboy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 06:13:46 AM »
How are you doing now 7 Weeks Post op ? Do you Ski , i stopped Last Year we went on the Trip but i walked And was in the gym . Hard Bit like Take a dog to the buthchers window..my mrs. Whats to go in Feb. But that will only be 8 Weeks Post op .. But we know so many People in alpbach i survive the week of gym swim And aper Sking of Course..

Offline Apleyboy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 05:57:25 AM »
Wishimg you all for next week please Keep me in the Loop my op Date is 6dec. I m also nervous the Lady of the House is Planing Christmas And Keep saying what if ...

Offline dietrichate

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 09:21:39 PM »
Just under a week to go until my kinespring op - how are things progressing since the last update?

Offline Apleyboy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 06:05:26 AM »
My Last Post was meant for dietrichate ,  wishing you luck my op is in 4weeks are you in the UK?

Offline bendzeknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 03:55:40 PM »
How are you doing now 7 Weeks Post op ? Do you Ski , i stopped Last Year we went on the Trip but i walked And was in the gym . Hard Bit like Take a dog to the buthchers window..my mrs. Whats to go in Feb. But that will only be 8 Weeks Post op .. But we know so many People in alpbach i survive the week of gym swim And aper Sking of Course..

I'm doing well thanks. I will be 7 weeks post-op on Tue 13th and have my first follow up consultation new week also when I will find out more. I have a normal gait once more, no more hobbling around. Good range of flex but physios want more. I do a lot of stretching exercises still and have only progressed slightly in physio from the set routine I have. Swelling has all but gone. The knee area can swell/stiffen still if I'm on my feet for along periods which is reasonable to expect. I do sometimes take diclofenac and/or paracetamol depending on my activity level. The area around the tibia can also feel a bit sensitive.

I return to skiing tomorrow but wont be doing too much and working with a good group of young athletes who don't need to see me ski too much which is a bonus. Hope to be back to full fitness by January.

It's all about taking advice/sticking to the plan and not rushing it. I've been injured before and coming back too soon is not worth it.

Tomorrow will give me more of an idea on what I can do. I have put off a trip in early January and have an option to do some work in Italy in February but not committing to it at this stage.

No problems associated with the original problem which is the main result I wanted.

Feeling very positive and the setback in week 3-5 is behind me. It was a case of up, up, flat, down, flat, up and stil on the up but feeling everything is so much better.

Offline bendzeknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2012, 04:05:14 PM »
Just under a week to go until my kinespring op - how are things progressing since the last update?

Good luck. Stay positive, it's a short term for the long term gain. I hope it goes well and it will be interesting to hear your post-op progress. All going well you will be up and at it in no time and working on getting strong again. Physio had me gritting my teeth a few times but it made the difference. The support has been very good and I hope you get the same result in every way. 

Offline dietrichate

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2012, 05:09:31 PM »
Thanks,

Will send an update after the op on Tues - Glad to hear progress is good, I intend to be back playing squash but only time will tell

Offline dietrichate

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 08:12:27 PM »
Back from kinespring op. overnight stay and very stiff now, but the surgeon was very happy with the procedure. It will be interesting to see if our experiences match. I have been told not to rush things but fingers crossed for a good outcome.

support